Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

momoxie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2013
Conversion of Gems to Gold.

If someone wanted to, they could buy anything they wanted with no effort.

I understand gear is highly balanced at high level (or assumed to be), so buying gear wouldn't be that useful. There are other obvious advantages though, such as profession-

grinding.

I doubt it'll be a huge problem, and I assume the gem to gold ratio will be extremely poor. But the issue is still there. Direct exchange between Real World and In Game

currency...

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Conversion of Gems to Gold.

If someone wanted to, they could buy anything they wanted with no effort.

I understand gear is highly balanced at high level (or assumed to be), so buying gear wouldn't be that useful. There are other obvious advantages though, such as profession-

grinding.

I doubt it'll be a huge problem, and I assume the gem to gold ratio will be extremely poor. But the issue is still there. Direct exchange between Real World and In Game

currency...

Blame the gold selling websites, this is the reason the online games have had to do this.

RIFT does it but claims that you cannot buy your way to the top.

Dekard

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Even if.. if you want to spend $300 real world bucks on a in game weapon go right ahead doesn't hurt my gaming experiences.. I've purchased some gems in the past for a skin or two for my weapons but people that do this don't hurt my personal gaming experience, they just choose to spend their discretionary income differently than I would choose too; I definitely can't see spending a ton of money for virtual items..

Plus the items that you purchase with gems isn't usually the 'same' exact it has less stats or slots then one you would get from grinding/earning.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Does not spoil my personal gaming either, as you say it it their cash and they can spend it how they wish.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Even if.. if you want to spend $300 real world bucks on a in game weapon go right ahead doesn't hurt my gaming experiences..

I agree, and when Ive asked guilidies in the game, if they would want to use 3000-3500 dollars of real life money converted to gems converted to gold to get a legendary weapons all of them said nah.

Achieving the weapons through their own means is how they find purpose in the game, and the only bragging rights they care about is not what other people think but that they feel their own accomplishments matter.

sunrise-legendary.jpg

And the great thing is that many of the coolest items in the game cant be bought by gold means. they need to be achieved through other types of currencies. Laurels, Dungeon tokens, karma and ascended materials. All stuff that cannot be obtained unless you require them inside the game world.

So you are able to get meaningful equipment regardless if you like dungeons, world vs world, pvp, crafting, doing story, playing solo or something else.

momoxie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2013
I agree, and when Ive asked guilidies in the game, if they would want to use 3000-3500 dollars of real life money converted to gems converted to gold to get a legendary weapons all of them said nah.

Achieving the weapons through their own means is how they find purpose in the game, and the only bragging rights they care about is not what other people think but that they feel their own accomplishments matter.

And the great thing is that many of the coolest items in the game cant be bought by gold means. they need to be achieved through other types of currencies. Laurels, Dungeon tokens, karma and ascended materials. All stuff that cannot be obtained unless you require them inside the game world.

So you are able to get meaningful equipment regardless if you like dungeons, world vs world, pvp, crafting, doing story, playing solo or something else.

Tons of thanks for your reply! :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.