Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
"Spy Moms", a quaint, 5 minute comedy I cut, premiered in May at the 2005 Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival (aka the 2005 VC Filmfest) and just recently was accepted into the San Francisco International Asian American Film Festival.

Link

Hope you enjoy it. :)

Lethal

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I very much enjoyed your movie. The Joy Luck Club meets Charlies Angels! And filmed right in my neighborhood, too.

But ewwwww - a liberal artist!!

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I thought it was very well put together, but it just didn't hold my attention too well. I guess it just wasn't my style. I do respect it though. I wish I could put together something half and good. Hell, if I could do something 1/32 as good I would impress myself.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Details! Details!

How long did it take to get it together? How did you get funding? What was the budget?

Did you cut it on a mac? (I presume so :) With FCP? And?

What cameras / equipment were used?

You can't just put your pet project up on MR and then clam up!

The massed ranks of Macrumoristas demand answers!

.. RedTomato ..

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
That was really pretty good when I heard film festival I thought "man this is gonna suck" But I must it admit I laughed out load. Only problem was the the mom had a PC :-(

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm glad y'all enjoy the short. :)

RedTomato said:
Details! Details!

How long did it take to get it together? How did you get funding? What was the budget?

Did you cut it on a mac? (I presume so :) With FCP? And?

What cameras / equipment were used?

You can't just put your pet project up on MR and then clam up!

The massed ranks of Macrumoristas demand answers!

.. RedTomato ..
Details, eh? ;)

"Spy Moms" was shot over 2.5 days, took about 3.5 weeks to cut, and about 1 week for audio post (adding effects, mixing audio levels, cleaning up dialogue, etc.,). It was shot w/a Sony Z1U and down-converted to DV (not FCP 5 at the time) and cut w/FCP 3. The budget (which was largely made up of an endowment the director won) was enough to cover equipment rental (audio package, full lighting package, jib for camera, etc.,) and craft services (food) on the shooting days. The crew were all friends of the director and I think most of the cast had worked w/the director before too.

I was on set shooting some behind-the-scenes stuff for 2 days and it was a really good set. Very efficient and very professional. And I can't say enough of Derek (who was the production audio guy as well as doing the effects and final audio mixing). His audio post work really took the short to the next level.

As for sequel possibilities I wouldn't hold my breath, but I have been badgering the director (who was also the writer) about when he's penning his next short.

Lethal

ldenman

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2005
good stuff!
thats a pricey camera..
i think me and my bro might buy one!

in like 5 years, that is.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Nice stuff!

So were you just doing edits or did you do any of the graphics as well (computer screen mockups)?

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.