Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
I have the 1.67 PowerBook 15" G4 with the bad lower ram slot. Reviewing some older threads some members mentioned they might try out a 2GB stick in the remaining good ram slot, has anyone had success?

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Hi, I've also been looking into this, but can't find PC2700 (or equivalent) in 2gb modules.

DDR2 comes in 2gb lumps, but apparently there is a minute difference in the pin spacing and they will not work in a DDR1 slot.

If you ever find a source for 2gb DDR1 modules I would definitely give it a go myself :)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
2GB DDR was never a part of the spec and therefore never made. Some companies were wanting to make it and some engineering samples were made, but it never made it to full production.

sawpits

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2014
2GB DDR was never a part of the spec and therefore never made. Some companies were wanting to make it and some engineering samples were made, but it never made it to full production.

PC2-4200 in 2GB sticks is available. This is what is used in the Hi-Res models from October 2005. Whether it will be recognized is another matter. So anyone with such a model can give it a try in one of those.

The OP did not state which 1.67GHz model he has.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
PC2-4200 in 2GB sticks is available. This is what is used in the Hi-Res models from October 2005. Whether it will be recognized is another matter. So anyone with such a model can give it a try in one of those.

The OP did not state which 1.67GHz model he has.

My post does not mention or detail anything about DDR2 ram. It is only stating a fact about DDR1 ram.

Reactions: barracuda156

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
If he has the final revision 1.67ghz machine that takes ddr2 ram, it will work with one 2gb module in one slot. Will not recognize four gigs of ram, though WE ALL WISH IT WOULD.

The older DDR 1.67 PB will max out at 1 gig of ram if your ram slot is dead. Used to be a place that would reflow the memory slots on powerbooks, it can't be that hard to do for the willing...

That said,with a maxed out 1.67ghz final revision machine myself, I am amazed at how efficient and fast it really is with 2 gigs of ram. LOVE the machine. Still.

sawpits

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2014
My post does not mention or detail anything about DDR2 ram. It is only stating a fact about DDR1 ram.

I am aware of that. I added that the OP failed to mention which generation 1.67GHz Powerbook he had.

----------

If he has the final revision 1.67ghz machine that takes ddr2 ram, it will work with one 2gb module in one slot. Will not recognize four gigs of ram, though WE ALL WISH IT WOULD.

Yeah, RAM challenged. :D

That said,with a maxed out 1.67ghz final revision machine myself, I am amazed at how efficient and fast it really is. LOVE the machine. Still.

I just got a Hi-Res for $89 and am having the RAM slot problem, though the 1GB stick in the bottom slot is working right now, the 512M stick isn't recognized in the upper slot. It was for several days, then today it froze up, I reseated it and it isn't recognized but the machine has been working okay.

I have a January 2005 1.67GHz but it needs some work now, I think the DC in needs to be replaced. Never had a problem with the RAM since I bought it used. Maybe the owner took advantage of the free fix years back? I believe he was the only owner until I bought it in 2013. Thus I purchased this Hi-Res unit, I must say the screen is really nice.

Last edited:

robertdsc

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2014
OP, what version of OS X are you running? If you have only 1 GB to play with, perhaps you could use Tiger instead of Leopard?

I ask because my burned-out PB 1.67 had only 1 GB. I used Tiger without any issues until the day it died in a freak power accident.

FWIW, I used a Titanium PB 500 Mhz with Tiger and 512 MB of RAM without any major issues.

sawpits

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2014
Problem with Tiger is security even compared with Leopard. It frosts me that Apple stopped issuing security updates three or four years ago for Leopard.

On my Powerbook 1.67 with 1GB working and running Leopard I see no slowness so far. Using TenFourFox 24.3 browser, sometimes Roccat. Both at least offer added security when online.

Reactions: filmpje

AmestrisXServe

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2014
You have two options: Reflow the bad SO_DIMM socket, or design, and build your own SO-DIMM with a 2GB capacity (i.e. the harder option). The problem here is that the MMC may not address beyond 1GB in any one socket, even with a properly configured (custom) 2GB SO-DIMM

I can;t attest to that, as I have not tried to do this: A refsheet on the MMC used in the Northbridge of these systems would be useful in making a determination of feasibility.

The memory components from an IBM 39M5843 should be usable, to construct a PC2700 SO-DIMM. (You would need to design a double-sided, high desity module PCB.)

It isn't that difficult to design one, but again, having one doesn't mean that it would work if the MMC is designed to address only up to 1GB. You should expect to pay about £25-30 ($40-55) to fabricate the PCB.

As to finding a test fabrication 2GB SO-DIMM, this is likely to be the most difficult method. I would suggest repairing your SO-DIMM socket, before doing anything else.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I am aware of that. I added that the OP failed to mention which generation 1.67GHz Powerbook he had.

----------

Yeah, RAM challenged. :D

I just got a Hi-Res for $89 and am having the RAM slot problem, though the 1GB stick in the bottom slot is working right now, the 512M stick isn't recognized in the upper slot. It was for several days, then today it froze up, I reseated it and it isn't recognized but the machine has been working okay.

I have a January 2005 1.67GHz but it needs some work now, I think the DC in needs to be replaced. Never had a problem with the RAM since I bought it used. Maybe the owner took advantage of the free fix years back? I believe he was the only owner until I bought it in 2013. Thus I purchased this Hi-Res unit, I must say the screen is really nice.

I am confused, I thought the Hi Resolution screens only came with the final revision of the Powerbooks?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Am I reading this right? single 2GB PC2700? Looks like the picture is different than what he's selling but it says in the description. " 2 GB PC2700 333MHZ LL2.5 MICRON MT36VDDF256724-335F3

This auction is for 1 Stick!"

Or is that a desktop memory for a server....?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-GB-PC2700...5748043?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item3a8bee37cb

You are reading that correctly, but it doesn't look like standard PC2700 memory. Look at the top corner, there are a few extra pins and on the back there is a little connector. If that is standard laptop memory, I don't think it'd work in a PowerPC Mac. It would appear to be high density with that many ram chips on it for its size. There's also the sticker reading "128MB" on the stick itself. Lastly, there doesn't seem to be much information on the part number in the listing. The HP number of 012795-001 shows the image to be an image of a 128MB cache module, probably for a RAID setup. The seller also posted a similar auction for a lot of 49 of those: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-GB-PC2700...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
You are reading that correctly, but it doesn't look like standard PC2700 memory. Look at the top corner, there are a few extra pins and on the back there is a little connector. If that is standard laptop memory, I don't think it'd work in a PowerPC Mac. It would appear to be high density with that many ram chips on it for its size. There's also the sticker reading "128MB" on the stick itself. Lastly, there doesn't seem to be much information on the part number in the listing. The HP number of 012795-001 shows the image to be an image of a 128MB cache module, probably for a RAID setup. The seller also posted a similar auction for a lot of 49 of those: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-GB-PC2700...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Thanks. Kinda thought something didn't look right. I couldn't find anything else on those either other than his other auctions or other sites linking to his ebay page.

filmpje

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2017
Worldwide!
If he has the final revision 1.67ghz machine that takes ddr2 ram, it will work with one 2gb module in one slot. [shortened original post]. LOVE the machine. Still.

Thank you Felix the Cat! I have a 15 inch - G4 1.6 ghz that it really great, but the lower RAM slot does not seem to be working. I will try and run it with a 2gb module in the upper slot. That would be fantastic because it is running now with 512. I am finding some neat programs that people are coding to run this machine even today (2017). It is beautifully made and the screen quality is the beautiful matte finish that we "all" love. I will post again after installing the ram and let people know how it goes.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.