PDA

View Full Version : 2006 could be year that Apple CEO Jobs falls off pedestal

MacBytes
Dec 21, 2005, 07:50 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: 2006 could be year that Apple CEO Jobs falls off pedestal (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051221085025)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Lacero
Dec 21, 2005, 07:52 AM
Must be a slow news day for technology... :rolleyes:

2006 will be a make or break year for Apple. First Intel, but more importantly, if Steve can top the nano. If he doesn't release the iPod invisa as everyone anticipates, he's due for a fall, for sure.

Here's to the Crazy Ones http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35452 (http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/movies/think-different.mov)

Randall
Dec 21, 2005, 08:04 AM
I have a feeling that the move to Intel will have just the opposite affect, and that Steve Jobs will be even more popular in 2006. It's funny, but Jobs sort of staged a coup d'etat when he returned to Apple. They replaced the OS with a hybrid of NeXTSTEP (OS X) which is awesome, now they pull the plug on PPC and go with Intel x86, (Jobs used x86 with some of his NeXTSTEP machines). There is no question that he helped make the Mac platform better, and I think that is the main reason he is so popular. Plus, it's a great story. Steve's life story is available to read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs

Photorun
Dec 21, 2005, 08:14 AM
Er, yeah, okay. This article is a rehash of a theme the naysayers have been blowing out their piehole for years, I heard this when they were in the red almost a decade ago, they're no gaining on 18 billion in the black, and we still have to read this s***. Reports of Jobs/Apple's deaths are always extremely exaggerated, especially by the peecee press who do the "I don't 'get it'," like there's something to get.

I'm with Randall, if anything Jobs will either stay in the weird pantheon he's in or indeed fall from his pedestal...right onto another one going straight up higher.

Deepdale
Dec 21, 2005, 08:14 AM
2006 could be year that Apple CEO Jobs falls off pedestal

Or it could be the year he perches himself atop an even higher pedestal. He has a remarkable way of coming up with items that add to his legendary mystique.

1macker1
Dec 21, 2005, 08:46 AM
Well the wave of the iPod hype is gonna stop sooner or later, I dont think 2006 will be it, but soon. I'f he doesn't get the Computer section of apple (yeah they still sell computer) off and running, I would see this as hime falling off the pedestal.

Zoboomafoo
Dec 21, 2005, 08:50 AM
Er, yeah, okay. This article is a rehash of a theme the naysayers have been blowing out their piehole for years, I heard this when they were in the red almost a decade ago, they're no gaining on 18 billion in the black, and we still have to read this s***. Reports of Jobs/Apple's deaths are always extremely exaggerated, especially by the peecee press who do the "I don't 'get it'," like there's something to get.

well, i get the sense that the article's a little tongue in cheek. unless the justification for a fall of "well, it's gotta happen sometime" is actually a good one.

next year this time, the author can write another story. "jobs continues to defy the odds" or "i told you he'd fall" it's a nice setup. lol.

BOOMBA
Dec 21, 2005, 09:20 AM
Pretty dumb article which says nothing.

I think the title was simply designed to get people to read the rest of the article.

Seasought
Dec 21, 2005, 09:21 AM
So the author's point with regard to Jobs is this:

"Jobs/Apple has been so successful recently it can't last forever and maybe in 2006 popularity will decline."

Yep, mmmkay...now on to other things.

Seasought
Dec 21, 2005, 09:22 AM
I think the title was simply designed to get people to read the rest of the article.

I agree, it's a rather popular tactic. :D

iMeowbot
Dec 21, 2005, 09:27 AM
It's Kevin Maney. He's made a hobby of baiting Mac zealots ever since he got flooded with hate mail for writing an article that had very nice things to say about Xserve. I wonder if he's more satisfied or disappointed that it's so easy to hook 'em?

BOOMBA
Dec 21, 2005, 09:28 AM
So the author's point with regard to Jobs is this:

"Jobs/Apple has been so successful recently it can't last forever and maybe in 2006 popularity will decline."

Yep, mmmkay...now on to other things.

Using that logic, why doesn't he think Google will fall?

Or the Ford F-150?

Bad Beaver
Dec 21, 2005, 10:00 AM
Only really small people wish for others to go down.

impierced
Dec 21, 2005, 10:04 AM
I have a feeling that the move to Intel will have just the opposite affect, and that Steve Jobs will be even more popular in 2006. It's funny, but Jobs sort of staged a coup d'etat when he returned to Apple. They replaced the OS with a hybrid of NeXTSTEP (OS X) which is awesome, now they pull the plug on PPC and go with Intel x86, (Jobs used x86 with some of his NeXTSTEP machines). There is no question that he helped make the Mac platform better, and I think that is the main reason he is so popular. Plus, it's a great story. Steve's life story is available to read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs

NeXTSTEP (68k) -> OpenSTEP (x86 port) -> Rhapsody (Code name for PPC port) -> OS X (Marketing rename).

Seasought
Dec 21, 2005, 10:14 AM

Or the Ford F-150?

Exactly!

suntzu
Dec 21, 2005, 11:13 AM
well, i get the sense that the article's a little tongue in cheek. unless the justification for a fall of "well, it's gotta happen sometime" is actually a good one.

next year this time, the author can write another story. "jobs continues to defy the odds" or "i told you he'd fall" it's a nice setup. lol.

Exactly. Because if he really believes in that "well, it's gotta happen sometime" theory then that's pretty scary. Like I wonder what his thoughts on democracy are:

"Oh, that democracy is a fad. It can't be popular much longer. I hear Fascism is making a comeback like you wouldn't believe!"

:D

JohnHummel
Dec 21, 2005, 12:06 PM
Or it could be the year he perches himself atop an even higher pedestal. He has a remarkable way of coming up with items that add to his legendary mystique.

Or do you mean iTems?

Seriously - it's nothing I haven't seen before. Apple stock is up, their cash savings are high (they seem to be following the MS approach - keep a lot of cash in hand "just in case"), their product is selling out and shows little sign of slowing. Even if the Intel shift is a gigantic bust for some reason, the iPod will keep them afloat for 12 months while they tweak it. But since Intel at least has no problem making chips (unlike Motorola or IBM) in massive quantities, and since the same chips will be sold to the rest of the market (therefore making a shortage less likely, since these aren't "specialized" chips, though I'm sure the OS and motherboards may be) - either way, Apple should do even better for 2006.

Is their stock a bit high? Maybe, but that's a gamble in this market. If they do release a new Mac Mini/Tivo-like device with iBooks in January, and if (unlike the Xbox 360) they have enough items on hand to meet demand, they could see numbers jump from 5% to 6-7%, which is several millions more in profit.

So while 2006 *could* be a bad year for Apple, the odds are better it will be another good year - and after about 4-5 years when the Intel transformation is pretty much complete, they'll be sitting very nice indeed with stable chip manufacturers (finally) and, if they play the market right, branching out into more audio/video aspects (a la Sony) that will give them a cushion for when computers aren't selling well.

Of course, that's all my opinion. I could be wrong.

Deepdale
Dec 21, 2005, 12:15 PM
Apple stock is up, their cash savings are high (they seem to be following the MS approach - keep a lot of cash in hand "just in case"), their product is selling out and shows little sign of slowing.

Good post and your scenario is far more likely to be accurate than not.

And, of course, I meant iTems. Thanks for the keen eye. :)

gangst
Dec 21, 2005, 12:26 PM
As if the iPod will just fail in 2006! :rolleyes:

Chaszmyr
Dec 21, 2005, 01:09 PM
As if the iPod will just fail in 2006! :rolleyes:

I had a dream last night that school was resuming in january and when I showed up I saw everyone using Zen Vision:Ms instead of iPods

Peace
Dec 21, 2005, 01:58 PM
I'm not implying Jobs/Apple could be falling off a pedestal but with the MTV/MS music store going up there will be some competition for iTunes and iPods..

Deepdale
Dec 21, 2005, 02:01 PM
I'm not implying Jobs/Apple could be falling off a pedestal but with the MTV/MS music store going up there will be some competition for iTunes and iPods.

Competition is healthy because it brings out the best in creative companies like Apple.

Fiveos22
Dec 21, 2005, 02:58 PM
That was an awful lot of title for a sentence or two of content.

jdechko
Dec 21, 2005, 03:07 PM
Or it could be the year he perches himself atop an even higher pedestal.

Maybe that's what the 32' glass cube is for
Anyway, I'm sick of this crap... "OMG, its the end for Apple, they're going to die. All they do well is the iPod, but it doesn't even have a tuner."
None of these so-called analyists ever have anything insightful to say about Apple. Probably because they're all in bed with MS or they get paid to put Apple down.

Sun Baked
Dec 21, 2005, 05:10 PM
If he falls off, it'll be because he rolled off the pedestal because he was laughing so hard at all the people who doubted that he can take Apple to the next level.

Most of these people doubting him thought that Apple should ditch the computers and go with an music model.

There is a niche to exploit in the PC world, and it sure ain't where the low cost machines dwell.

avus
Dec 22, 2005, 04:44 AM

Or the Ford F-150?

Actually, Ford isn't doing too well (http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8EJFCQ84.htm?campaign_id=apn_home_up&chan=db)