PDA

View Full Version : How long until 2nd gen Intel Powerbooks?

LordJezo
Dec 21, 2005, 01:44 PM
This whole Intel move has really screwed up my buying of a Mac.

Does anyone know when we can expect to see 2nd gen Intel Powerbooks for sale? I donít want to buy a 1st gen and get stuck with old and outdated tech when the 2nd gen comes out. Usually a 1st gen machine isnít as advanced as a 2nd and I am afraid I will be missing out on some hardware that would make my machine almost useless forcing me to shell out a couple more grand just to upgrade to a machine that is useable in day to day life.

yellow
Dec 21, 2005, 01:47 PM
Does anyone know when we can expect to see 2nd gen Intel Powerbooks for sale?

I think we're all still wondering when we'll see a 1st gen of them, before worrying about the 2nd gen.

buffalo
Dec 21, 2005, 02:05 PM
Usually a 1st gen machine isnít as advanced as a 2nd

isn't this usually how all technology works??? but anyways it seems hard to predict when we don't even know for sure when the 1st gens are out

Scipio
Dec 21, 2005, 02:06 PM
Steve Jobs' Buddha statue told me that they'll be out next Tuesday, after the first revision is released tomorrow. :rolleyes: Sorry for the joke...but really. And yes, those people with Rev C Powerbooks find them to be completely useless. Cmon people. My Apple IIe still works for what it was made for. Just because a new version is released doesn't make the "old" one obsolete. If that were the case, nobody would buy PC boxes. That being said, I upgrade at every revision, but that's because i have a disease. I smell troll. HAPPY FESTIVUS!!!

mkrishnan
Dec 21, 2005, 02:08 PM
Steve Jobs' Buddha statue told me that they'll be out next Tuesday, after the first revision is released tomorrow. :rolleyes: Sorry for the joke...but really. HAPPY FESTIVUS!!!

:D

Liberal guess = late 2006 / early 2007. Conservative guess = mid-to-late 2007 or even early '08. Just based on their past behavior.

Come on now...even in the rumors circuit... how do you think anyone is going to have any more accurate information than that about the second generation of an as-yet-unannounced product?

wwooden
Dec 21, 2005, 02:10 PM
I'm waiting for the finally Apple Laptop to be released just before the world ends. I figure I will have the latest technology and not have to worry about anything new coming out after.

combatcolin
Dec 21, 2005, 02:11 PM
Your not the only one who has delayed a Mac purchase because of the Intel change.

Although i bought a 1st gen iMac and was happy with that, so a 1st gen PM will do me fine.

When Apple release them that is.

zap2
Dec 21, 2005, 02:15 PM
just buy a PB PPC i doubt we will see a PPC ''Pro'' Mac at MWSF

i wish i would say the same about the iBook becuz i would go buy one now but i have to wait until Jan 9!

Lord Blackadder
Dec 21, 2005, 02:29 PM
If I were you I would buy the 1st gen Intel Macs when they become available. I don't think that it's worth while to wait for the 2nd gen - I doubt that anyone outside Apple has even a small clue when they'll come out, and even Apple probably has only vague ideas.

generik
Dec 21, 2005, 02:56 PM
Anyway the curious thing is they did do a logic board redesign for the last revision, the current board will enable them to use newer G4 chips on them.. does this mean they'd skip to Merom?

Nobody knows for sure!

stevep
Dec 21, 2005, 03:48 PM
If the current PowerBook offering is anything to go by, you might be better off waiting for the 6th gen Intel model.

rosalindavenue
Dec 21, 2005, 03:56 PM
...I am afraid I will be missing out on some hardware that would make my machine almost useless ....

The release of a new machine will not make your older machine "almost useless." Really. In fact, it will be just as useful as it was when you bought it. I bought a G4 ibook, after the intel announcement, and it is very useful; it will continue to be equally as useful for the next couple of years. It may not be able to run whatever the next big app turns out to be; who knows?

DCBass
Dec 21, 2005, 03:57 PM
naturally, it entirely depends on when the 1st gen is released. I would be surprised if this did not happen sometime within the first half of 2006.

And unless Apple changes their pattern of updates due to intel's schedule, we would probably see 2nd gen's about 6 months after the first gen's are released.

So... earliest would be at WWDC '06 in June, latest would be MWSF '07 in January.

Hoo boy, things be get'n excitin' now boys and girls!

thomasp
Dec 21, 2005, 03:58 PM
*gets out a piece of string*

*measures it*

I predict that 2nd gen Intel Powerbooks will be available in approximately 1 year, 5 months, 3 days, 20 hours, 5 minutes and 7 seconds from the time of this post.

The above is based on my length of string :D

I personally would be surprised to see a first gen Intel Powerbook in 2006.

ColoJohnBoy
Dec 21, 2005, 04:12 PM
Steve Jobs' Buddha statue told me that they'll be out next Tuesday, after the first revision is released tomorrow. :rolleyes: Sorry for the joke...but really. And yes, those people with Rev C Powerbooks find them to be completely useless. Cmon people. My Apple IIe still works for what it was made for. Just because a new version is released doesn't make the "old" one obsolete. If that were the case, nobody would buy PC boxes. That being said, I upgrade at every revision, but that's because i have a disease. I smell troll. HAPPY FESTIVUS!!!

Hey now. Festivus isn't until the 23rd. ;)

generik
Dec 21, 2005, 05:00 PM
The release of a new machine will not make your older machine "almost useless." Really. In fact, it will be just as useful as it was when you bought it. I bought a G4 ibook, after the intel announcement, and it is very useful; it will continue to be equally as useful for the next couple of years. It may not be able to run whatever the next big app turns out to be; who knows?

The trouble is since Apple products generally come out at the same price point year in and year out due to artificial pricing controls, it might be in your very best interests to hold out for that dual processor Powerbook instead of the "Power"Book G4.. seeing as to how you can get so much more useful life out of a dual, and that they'd probably be at the same price point.

hasselhoff
Dec 21, 2005, 06:28 PM
http://www.randyandjohn.com/diaryland/aaa_blog/images/2005/January/01-24/johnny00.jpg

Counterfit
Dec 21, 2005, 06:45 PM
http://www.randyandjohn.com/diaryland/aaa_blog/images/2005/January/01-24/johnny00.jpg
You win Newbie of The Week :D

hasselhoff
Dec 21, 2005, 06:51 PM

YES!! Another festivus miracle. Anyone wanna make a donation to the Human Fund in my name?

NYmacAttack
Dec 21, 2005, 06:52 PM

LOL thats funny:p

GimmeSlack12
Dec 21, 2005, 07:30 PM
Well if you wait for the 2nd Intel PB, you might as well wait for the 3rd. And if you're gonna wait for the 3rd revision, it's probably a safe bet to hold out for the 4th.

I'm tired of these threads. Just go buy a PPC PowerBook.

maxterpiece
Dec 21, 2005, 07:46 PM
the best deal, if you aren't hyperparanoid about glitches, is always to get the 1st gen of a new technology. When a new technology is introduced, the machine is completely remade and the next several updates usually use most of the same technology. In other words, your machine is closest to up-to-date for the longest amount of time.

When will they be available? I'm gonna guess they'll be shipping in late feb.

puckhead193
Dec 21, 2005, 08:21 PM
my guess is about 6-9 months after they are first shipping. its seems like every other week there is a speed bump on intel chips.

generik
Dec 21, 2005, 09:19 PM
Well if you wait for the 2nd Intel PB, you might as well wait for the 3rd. And if you're gonna wait for the 3rd revision, it's probably a safe bet to hold out for the 4th.

Why?

So he can enjoy the nice lines made by the LCD, have his screen flicker on him when he watches movies, and have the "free" special sound effects that turns any plain sound into machine gun fire when it start stuttering?

If you want problem free computing don't get a Mac, look elsewhere.

Saying Macs are godly is like saying the 2nd fattest girl in class is thin.

mkrishnan
Dec 21, 2005, 09:25 PM

Well, okay, I won't say she's thin, but her Dell notebook weighs more than 8 lbs! :eek: ;) :D

generik
Dec 21, 2005, 09:52 PM
Well, okay, I won't say she's thin, but her Dell notebook weighs more than 8 lbs! :eek: ;) :D

Wow that sure is phat :D

jaduffy108
Dec 21, 2005, 10:04 PM

Does anyone know when we can expect to see 2nd gen Intel Powerbooks for sale? I donít want to buy a 1st gen and get stuck with old and outdated tech when the 2nd gen comes out. Usually a 1st gen machine isnít as advanced as a 2nd and I am afraid I will be missing out on some hardware that would make my machine almost useless forcing me to shell out a couple more grand just to upgrade to a machine that is useable in day to day life.

>>>Personally...i too am waiting for 2nd gen...conroe/merom based machines (powerbook)..and here's some VERY good news:
http://techreport.com/ja.zz?comments=9178
Basically, Intel is now expected to deliver conroe by mid-summer 2006...quite a bit before earlier predictions. This is the chip to buy...64bit, etc, etc. This chip has the *potential* to put Intel back in competition with AMD's X2, etc. Unless you simply must buy now...this puppy is worth the wait!

peace

generik
Dec 21, 2005, 10:12 PM
>>>Personally...i too am waiting for 2nd gen...conroe/merom based machines (powerbook)..and here's some VERY good news:
http://techreport.com/ja.zz?comments=9178
Basically, Intel is now expected to deliver conroe by mid-summer 2006...quite a bit before earlier predictions. This is the chip to buy...64bit, etc, etc. This chip has the *potential* to put Intel back in competition with AMD's X2, etc. Unless you simply must buy now...this puppy is worth the wait!

peace

Is conroe dual core?

So can we expect to see quad Powermacs?

blueflame
Dec 21, 2005, 11:05 PM
I have the latest revision 17inch powerbook, and i cannot even host an ichat multiple video session. what is the deal with that. I bought a pro machine, and cannot even run an iapp. this really woirries me more about the new intel switch. i can see things being limited to g5/intel very soon.
Andreas

thomasp
Dec 22, 2005, 05:25 AM
I have the latest revision 17inch powerbook, and i cannot even host an ichat multiple video session. what is the deal with that. I bought a pro machine, and cannot even run an iapp. this really woirries me more about the new intel switch. i can see things being limited to g5/intel very soon.
Andreas

That's probably because your computer is too slow, according to the minimum requirements: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/ichat/

4-person Video conference:
To initiate/host: Dual 1GHz G4, any G5; 384Kbps Internet connection (up/down)

To Participate: 1GHz G4, dual 800 MHz G4 or any G5; 100Kbps Internet connection (up/down)

Your 17" PB doesn't have two 1GHz G4 processors, does it?

mbopy22
Dec 22, 2005, 05:43 AM

LOL LOOOOOOOL :D :D :D :D :D :D :p

SERENETY NOOOOOOOW!!!!!!

chaosbunny
Dec 22, 2005, 05:50 AM

Oh nooooo! Don't ever buy a 2nd gen! It will be old, dated and useless piece of hardware once the 3rd gen comes out!:D

840quadra
Dec 22, 2005, 06:39 AM

Where did they say Macs are godly in their post?

I don't see it, or why you attacked GimmeSlack12, besides to enlighten them with your anti PowerPC Powerbook propaganda.

Ripmax2000
Dec 22, 2005, 09:19 AM
Oh nooooo! Don't ever buy a 2nd gen! It will be old, dated and useless piece of hardware once the 3rd gen comes out!:D

Oh nooooo! Don't ever buy a 3rd gen! It will be old, dated and useless piece of hardware once the 4rd gen comes out!:D

blueflame
Dec 22, 2005, 10:15 AM
do you think somhow i missed that fact?
im angry that i have the newest top of the line verson of the laptio and cannot run an iapp, theere is no way around this for me, no laptop apple makes can. its bull

yellow
Dec 22, 2005, 10:19 AM
There's a lot of overhead on doing a video conference.. not something I would ever have thought of using a laptop to handle. Maybe it's just me, but I don't equate a laptop with anything "pro", as typically a low-level desktop can run rings around it.

mkrishnan
Dec 22, 2005, 10:26 AM
Oh nooooo! Don't ever buy a 3rd gen! It will be old, dated and useless piece of hardware once the 4rd gen comes out!:D

No, man, when the fifth generation comes out, the third generation will be retro and geektoy. :)

jaduffy108
Dec 22, 2005, 10:46 AM
I don't see it, or why you attacked GimmeSlack12, besides to enlighten them with your anti PowerPC Powerbook propaganda.[/QUOTE]

>>I don't think it's anti PowerPC Powerbook propaganda. How is it propaganda to point out well known problems with the latest rev of Powerbooks? If I were a potential buyer, *I* would appreciate such information. Unlike most on this site, Generik simply doesn't drink Apple's Cult Mentality inducing koolaid.....