PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook 15" RAM Bay Screwdriver

Seasought
Dec 21, 2005, 04:32 PM
I recently received more RAM to add to my Powerbook. The manual states that one needs a "Philips Size 00 Screwdriver" to unscrew the screws on the bay that houses the RAM.

I've tried a 00, and a 000 Philips and it doesn't appear to be working/fitting. I read this on the Apple forums:

"Apple use Torx drive screws in PowerBooks, you will need a T8 size available from hardware stores or eBay."

Is this accurate? I should be looking for a Torx (T8 size) screwdriver to remove them?

yellow
Dec 21, 2005, 04:52 PM
My 15" PB uses regular old little eye-glass Phillips screwdriver for the panel on the back. Granted it's a 1.25GHz one, so it's a little "old", but have they changed the screws? Which model is yours?

Seasought
Dec 21, 2005, 04:54 PM
My 15" PB uses regular old little eye-glass Phillips screwdriver for the panel on the back. Granted it's a 1.25GHz one, so it's a little "old", but have they changed the screws? Which model is yours?

The most recent model (I believe that's 'E' right?).

yellow
Dec 21, 2005, 05:01 PM
(I believe that's 'E' right?).

No idea.. never bothered with those :)

I REALLY don't think they've changed the bay screws from phillips to torx.

Wait.. Look for yourself, flip over your PB. There's a rectagular 'bay door' in the center of the thing. What kinda screws are in it?

Seasought
Dec 21, 2005, 05:03 PM
Wait.. Look for yourself, flip over your PB. There's a rectagular 'bay door' in the center of the thing. What kinda screws are in it?

They appear to be regular Phillips head screws. That's why I'm puzzled about this. I don't really want to strip the heads.

yellow
Dec 21, 2005, 05:04 PM
Wheoo, nothing has changed. It's a regular phillips head screw. The Torx are for taking apart the chasis.

You won't strip it.. just use a really small screwdrive, like those suitable for eyeglass repair. If you're really worried..

http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/index.cfm?page=Video/memory/pbg4almem/high.html

Seasought
Dec 21, 2005, 05:06 PM
Wheoo, nothing has changed. It's a regular phillips head screw. The Torx are for taking apart the chasis.

You won't strip it.. just use a really small screwdrive, like those suitable for eyeglass repair. If you're really worried..

http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/index.cfm?page=Video/memory/pbg4almem/high.html

I'll give it another shot. I just can't seem to get the screwdrivers to lock in place to turn the screws.

I assume it's standard counter-clockwise to loosen it yes? I haven't tried prying it clockwise. :)

It would seem they are very, very tight.

yellow
Dec 21, 2005, 05:07 PM
Left Loosey.. Righty Tighty :) If you can't get the screwdriver to lock in place, your screwdriver might not be small enough? I mean it's phillips.. it can't get much easier than that?

nagromme
Dec 21, 2005, 05:10 PM
Yes, counter-clockwise. Lefty loosy, righty tighty :)

But it was difficult on my PowerBook--took a lot more force than I wanted to be using!

My only advice:

* Use the right size--too small will skip out of the hole and strip it.

* Push down pretty hard as you turn--to keep the point down inside the screw. The force needed to loosed the screws is enough to make the screwdriver jump out of the hole and strip the screw if you don't bear down.

Good luck!

Wait until you discover how much force it takes to get the RAM modules in the slots :D

Seasought
Dec 21, 2005, 05:11 PM
Left Loosey.. Righty Tighty :) If you can't get the screwdriver to lock in place, your screwdriver might not be small enough? I mean it's phillips.. it can't get much easier than that?

It should be simple. I have a Philips size 00 (as the manual states) - doesn't seem to fit. I also picked up a Philips size 000 (too small).

The size 0 was far too big. Here I thought this would be easy for me (done it millions of times on Windows machines, just never laptops).

Seasought
Dec 21, 2005, 05:15 PM
Yes, counter-clockwise. Lefty loosy, righty tighty :)

But it was difficult on my PowerBook--took a lot more force than I wanted to be using!

My only advice:

* Use the right size--too small will skip out of the hole and strip it.

* Push down pretty hard as you turn--to keep the point down inside the screw. The force needed to loosed the screws is enough to make the screwdriver jump out of the hole and strip the screw if you don't bear down.

Good luck!

Wait until you discover how much force it takes to get the RAM modules in the slots :D

That's probably it, I'm not pressing down REALLY HARD when I go to unscrew them...I don't want to smash the LCD!

I'll be more brute with it.

nagromme
Dec 21, 2005, 05:20 PM
Philips screws always seem to need a bigger screwdriver than I expect. Since you use just the point, a screwdriver that looks too big may actually be just right.

Why doesn't Apple stop using screws entirely, and just go with velcro? :)

Seasought
Dec 21, 2005, 05:26 PM
Philips screws always seem to need a bigger screwdriver than I expect. Since you use just the point, a screwdriver that looks too big may actually be just right.

Why doesn't Apple stop using screws entirely, and just go with velcro? :)

Perhaps...but then that would go against what the manual states.

We shall see...and yes, velcro would be nice at this point. :D

Seasought
Dec 21, 2005, 05:59 PM
The size 00 and 000 Philips screwdrivers do not fit, period. I'll see if AppleCare (or the forums) have further details.

RedTomato
Dec 21, 2005, 06:16 PM
Torx screws are the ones with the hexagonal shaped holes in them. Generally means 'think twice before unscrewing me'. Except on bicycles where everything uses torx screws. (And they're called 'allen keys' in the bike world...)

I just added a gig ram to my PB a couple of weeks ago (brought it from a friendly follow macrumours member)

Very simple. Used an old eyeglass phillips (crosshead) screwdriver that I brought from a thrift store for 50p (50c ). Took out the old 256 MB dimm, and pushed in the new 1 gig dimm.

No bother to it. The screws were quite tightly screwed down, so you do need to push down quite hard when you first start unscrewing it. No need to be hamfisted about it. I guess about the same force as when unscrewing various other electrical things - why not dismantle an old VCR or somethign like that into as many components as possible if you want practice :)

Yes, counter-clockwise will unscrew.

Push the new DIMM in quite firmly, at a 45 degree angle then press it down. If you're not sure, practice taking out and reinserting the DIMM that you already have there.

A lot of memory problems come from the DIMM not being seated quite right, so make sure it's in all the way.

Hope that helps

.. RedTomato ..

nagromme
Dec 21, 2005, 09:26 PM
Actually, I thought torx screws were the star-shaped ones, not the allen-style ones.

Seasought
Dec 21, 2005, 09:56 PM
I called Apple Care and was told to use the Phillips head size 00 again. I explained I have one and tried that to no avail and didn't get anywhere with the tech.

I stopped by Home Depot and hunted for one that would fit - nothing. Asked a sale's clerk who suggested I find a "jeweler's kit" as he didn't think they had anything small enough at Home Depot.

I attempted to fabricate some sort of ad-hoc device to remove the screws using staples and a paperclip - no dice. :D

So, I'm sitting here staring at my new 1gig stick of RAM sitting in it's static bag. I guess I'll stop by the Apple store (again) and see if they can either tell me what the tool is or just let me use theirs (or I guess they could do it).

I was hoping to do this myself for the experience though. Grr.

Seasought
Dec 21, 2005, 10:00 PM
Very simple. Used an old eyeglass phillips (crosshead) screwdriver that I brought from a thrift store for 50p (50c ). Took out the old 256 MB dimm, and pushed in the new 1 gig dimm.

What exactly is this? Is this just a phillips head screwdriver that is really, really small or is it unique in some other way? Is that the official name if I'm going to try and buy one somewhere?

CanadaRAM
Dec 21, 2005, 10:14 PM
I recently received more RAM to add to my Powerbook. The manual states that one needs a "Philips Size 00 Screwdriver" to unscrew the screws on the bay that houses the RAM.
I've tried a 00, and a 000 Philips and it doesn't appear to be working/fitting. I read this on the Apple forums:
"Apple use Torx drive screws in PowerBooks, you will need a T8 size available from hardware stores or eBay."
Is this accurate? I should be looking for a Torx (T8 size) screwdriver to remove them?
If you have Torx screws, then you are attempting to take out the wrong screws: I believe that all user-installable parts are behind Phillips screws.

Look closely at the screws: If it a cross, it is Phillips. If it is a 6 pointed star, (like a Star of David) it is Torx.

Get a set of jeweller's screwdrivers - they will include a Phillips of the right size.

Seasought
Dec 21, 2005, 10:16 PM
Look closely at the screws: If it a cross, it is Phillips. If it is a 6 pointed star, (like a Star of David) it is Torx.

Get a set of jeweller's screwdrivers - they will include a Phillips of the right size.

They are cross-shaped. As for these jeweller's screwdrivers, where should I buy them at...Wal-Mart?

CanadaRAM
Dec 21, 2005, 10:20 PM
They are cross-shaped. As for these jeweller's screwdrivers, where should I buy them at...Wal-Mart?
Wherever rocks your socks... they're like a $2.99 set.

Or you could buy the Monster Cable (TM) set for $39.95 made of oxygen-free steel and vanadium coated for superior performace.

:D

Seasought
Dec 21, 2005, 10:21 PM
Wherever rocks your socks... they're like a $2.99 set.

Or you could buy the Monster Cable (TM) set for $39.95 made of oxygen-free steel and vanadium coated for superior performace.

lol

I just want to be able to use my new RAM so the $2.99 set will do just fine. I take it these are common and reasonably easy to find at local retailers then?

yellow
Dec 22, 2005, 07:18 AM
They are definitely common.. gas stations have them, pharmacies have them, grocery stores have them. An eyeglass repair kit will do it for you.

Seasought
Dec 22, 2005, 08:45 AM
They are definitely common.. gas stations have them, pharmacies have them, grocery stores have them. An eyeglass repair kit will do it for you.

Excellent. I'll post here after picking one up with regard to whether or not I finally get my RAM installed.

Thanks for the guidance everyone.

Seasought
Dec 22, 2005, 10:14 AM
I picked up three eyeglasses repair kits and one of them fits the current Powerbook G4 15" RAM bay screws perfectly. I tried to find a picture of it online but came up short.

It is a CVS Pharmacy brand eyeglass repair kit. It consists of a short, white-plastic (somewhat ironic) base with a philips head at one end and a flat head at the other.

I have the RAM installed and it shows up under System Profiler - things seem to be faster. I won't scream victory yet, but thank god I finally found the right tool to remove those screws! :D

yellow
Dec 22, 2005, 10:16 AM
Ah.. CVS.. is there anything it can't do?

Seasought
Dec 22, 2005, 10:46 AM
Ah.. CVS.. is there anything it can't do?

It's a Christmas miracle. :p

RedTomato
Dec 22, 2005, 10:53 AM
Actually, I thought torx screws were the star-shaped ones, not the allen-style ones.

yes my mistake. I was misled by the op calling them torx, when they're actually hex style allen bolts.

congrats to seasought on getting it done eventually!

.. RedTomato ..

Seasought
Dec 22, 2005, 10:55 AM
yes my mistake. I was misled by the op calling them torx, when they're actually hex style allen bolts.

congrats to seasought on getting it done eventually!

.. RedTomato ..

Thanks for your help RedTomato.

Seasought
Dec 22, 2005, 01:36 PM
Apparently the screwdriver is a Magnivision Deluxe Screwdriver (for repairing eyeglasses) and I found it at CVS Pharmacy. Just an addendum for anyone who happens to have the same headache that I had.

TheMasin9
Dec 22, 2005, 03:01 PM
As stated in some of the other posts, you may try a jewlers set of screwdrivers, the thing is, each of these sets is different from store to store, a #00 at wal mart may differ from a #00 at target. I recommend the eyeglasses set. after trying three different jewlers sets, i finally found the right size in a eyeglass set. And if you think the screw is frozen, keep bearing down once the loosen up you are golden.

Seasought
Dec 22, 2005, 04:25 PM
As stated in some of the other posts, you may try a jewlers set of screwdrivers, the thing is, each of these sets is different from store to store, a #00 at wal mart may differ from a #00 at target. I recommend the eyeglasses set. after trying three different jewlers sets, i finally found the right size in a eyeglass set. And if you think the screw is frozen, keep bearing down once the loosen up you are golden.

You're absolutely right. When I found the one that finally fit at CVS I had two other kits that I also bought that did not fit.

It's slightly frustrating that things were this difficult (and chaotic with regard to finding the correct tool) but I digress.