PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 Battery Question

metaomni
Dec 21, 2005, 04:55 PM
Hey all, before I called AppleCare about this, I figured I'd post the question here:

I have a 12" iBook G4 (just over a year and a half old). Lately I've been noticing that it hasn't been getting exceptional battery life. Coconut Battery shows the battery running at 31% capacity -- is this normal for 19 months? I understand batteries wear down, but that seems rather profound.

Second question: over the past several weeks, instead of "sleeping gracefully" when running out of juice, the laptop just does a hard power-failure shutdown at the 0 minute mark. I haven't changed any settings that I'm aware of to make it do this. I get the "Switch to another power source immediately" message, but it always used to just go to sleep.

Any ideas on either problem?

NYmacAttack
Dec 21, 2005, 10:08 PM
Hey all, before I called AppleCare about this, I figured I'd post the question here:

I have a 12" iBook G4 (just over a year and a half old). Lately I've been noticing that it hasn't been getting exceptional battery life. Coconut Battery shows the battery running at 31% capacity -- is this normal for 19 months? I understand batteries wear down, but that seems rather profound.

Second question: over the past several weeks, instead of "sleeping gracefully" when running out of juice, the laptop just does a hard power-failure shutdown at the 0 minute mark. I haven't changed any settings that I'm aware of to make it do this. I get the "Switch to another power source immediately" message, but it always used to just go to sleep.

Any ideas on either problem?

It sounds like the battery is getting weak. I don't know what the expected life is after 19 months but it has a lot to do with how many charging cycles the battery has gone through. The hard shutdown could be due to that battery being too weak to put it sleep before hard powering off.

wiggy4ever
Dec 21, 2005, 11:32 PM
no, that is not normal...i have a 30 month old ibook g3 battery, and it gets a better charge than yours...if your computer is still covered under applecare, try calling apple to see if they will replace your battery

BiggeeC
Dec 28, 2005, 01:36 AM
A little off topic, but same topic.

Hey all. My G3 14" ibook battery is only lasting 1.5 hours, tops. The other night, while watching a DVD, it only lasted about 45 minutes. Do you guys know any good replacement batteries out there? Is this normal for a machine nearly 3 1/2 years old? Thanks