Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
With the Apple TV 2 only having an A4 chip and approaching 4 years old, how long do you think Apple will continue to support it? It still seems to be running quite smooth and since I only have a 720P TV its all I really need. Just curious for peoples opinions.

Thanks!

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Of course it's a total guess, but unless apple decides to unlock the apple tv to 3rd party apps, I would think that it will be supported the same as the 3rd gen Apple tv, except 720 maximum resolution instead of 1080.

I think that if apple decides to move beyond hobby status, they will probably release a new device that both atv 2 & atv 3 users will have to upgrade to get whatever advanced features the new device contains.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
USA
I would guess they should continue to support it for a long while yet. I have two 2nd gens and have been very happy with them. I don't see the need to upgrade to the 3rd Gen.

Kenjancef

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2010
East Providence, RI
I think that if apple decides to move beyond hobby status, they will probably release a new device that both atv 2 & atv 3 users will have to upgrade to get whatever advanced features the new device contains.

This... I would think that if they introduce a new ATV, it will DEFINITELY have some features that will only be available on the new device. I don't think Apple would want people to NOT buy the new device... :)

I have both a 2nd gen and 3rd gen ATV, only because I needed a second ATV, and it happened to be at the time when the 3rd gen was available. I use both, and can't tell a difference really.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
With the Apple TV 2 only having an A4 chip and approaching 4 years old, how long do you think Apple will continue to support it? It still seems to be running quite smooth and since I only have a 720P TV its all I really need. Just curious for peoples opinions.

Thanks!

Of course no saying whether new features will be provided, but it won't be considered "Vintage" until March 2017.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1752

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

Thanks!

I have one. What is the worst possible thing that could happen? If you think you're gonna fire it up one day and it won't work, your fear is unfounded, as Apple would never brick their devices en masse.

If Apple stops offering new features that the newer models have (like 1080p, and maybe Wifi 802.11ac, or whatever current and future features show up), that is certainly more likely to happen - as it does with iOS devices. It will never stop your device from doing what you bought it to do.

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
I have one. What is the worst possible thing that could happen? If you think you're gonna fire it up one day and it won't work, your fear is unfounded, as Apple would never brick their devices en masse.

If Apple stops offering new features that the newer models have (like 1080p, and maybe Wifi 802.11ac, or whatever current and future features show up), that is certainly more likely to happen - as it does with iOS devices. It will never stop your device from doing what you bought it to do.

Mainly discontinuing updates or having it become slow due to them pushing the little box to far. So far it's awesome, but I was just curious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.