Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I need that extra HDMI input for my Xbox One :p. Loving Uncharted 2 now and Heavy Rain was a great experience. Should I buy Uncharted 3 and Beyond: Two Souls before retiring it?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I need that extra HDMI input for my Xbox One :p. Loving Uncharted 2 now and Heavy Rain was a great experience. Should I buy Uncharted 3 and Beyond: Two Souls before retiring it?

Don't sell it - use the HDMI input on the Xbox One for your PS3 ;)

At least wait till mid next year when we have a real plethora of next gen titles - until then current gen has plenty to offer :)

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Don't sell it - use the HDMI input on the Xbox One for your PS3 ;)

At least wait till mid next year when we have a real plethora of next gen titles - until then current gen has plenty to offer :)

Was thinking about that but there's lag over the input :p.

Eh, there are probably better games on current gen but it'll be over a year before price drops so it doesn't matter when I start using the One. Waiting till PS4 is $250 though.

Nickwell24

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2008
Last of Us - If you haven't played this you must. It has one of, if not the best story lines of any video game I've played.

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
Was thinking about that but there's lag over the input :p.

Eh, there are probably better games on current gen but it'll be over a year before price drops so it doesn't matter when I start using the One. Waiting till PS4 is $250 though.

You'll be waiting a long time, the 250GB PS3 slim is about $250 now and it came out 7/8 years ago. :p

----------

^ Last of Us...

...plus, couldn't you just get a new TV with more inputs?

Or a HDMI splitter

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
^ Last of Us...

...plus, couldn't you just get a new TV with more inputs?

It's a Pioneer KRP-500M. Irreplaceable. Google it haha. Only issue is it has 2 HDMI inputs.

----------

You'll be waiting a long time, the 250GB PS3 slim is about $250 now and it came out 7/8 years ago. :p

Yeah but the PS3 started at $600! I'll be waiting 3-4 years probably haha. Hope I'm making the right choice with the One at full price.

----------

Last of Us - If you haven't played this you must. It has one of, if not the best story lines of any video game I've played.

Ok fine, there's another ten hours of my life :D.

Last of Us vs Uncharted 3?

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009

If you can, I would say both. Uncharted 2 was probably the better game, but Uncharted 3 does some back story on Nate and Sully that I really appreciated.

Honestly, Naughty Dog has become a must play for me due to their PS3 games. Not a bad one of the bunch. People will say the original Uncharted is weak compared to 2 & 3, but at the time it was a solid game. They learned and grew with 2&3 which is why the first one does not compare as favorably.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Some of my own favorite PS3 exclusives....

Uncharted 2 (enjoyed them all but 2 pips it)

Ni No Kuni - best RPG in years and didn't sell greatly in the west and can be bought cheap now.

Ratchet & Clank - Crack in Time
Fantastic platforming arcade action.

Journey
A Truly Beautiful Game.

The Last of Us
If you don't shed a tear at some point then you have fungus growing inside you.

God of War 3
Much improved over first installments and much better than ascension.

Others which are great but flawed....

Little Big Planet 2
Stunning but slightly ruined for me due in no part to excessive DLC.

Infamous 2
Fun but ultimately gets repetitive

Heavy Rain
Great story - dark and interesting. But sometimes hammy and at times leaves user feeling uninvolved rather than immersed.

LA Noir
Great game but too much weight was put on reading those motion capped faces which really ended up being trial and error exercises...

Killzone 2 & 3
Great shooters that fell under the toll of their lofty ambitions.

Finally not exclusive but still utterly great games

Tomb Raider
Loved the reboot. But maybe get the definitive version on next gen.

Skyrim
Stunning RPG. Hours can be lost

Dead Space 3
A great third part to a decent series.

Borderlands 2
Take everything from the first game and turn the dial to 12....

Last edited:

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Dead Space 3 is actually your favorite?

I love the first one, but gave up on the second one halfway through.

Played the demo for 3, watched tons of footage, and everything just made me cringe. :(

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Dead Space 3 is actually your favorite?

I love the first one, but gave up on the second one halfway through.

Played the demo for 3, watched tons of footage, and everything just made me cringe. :(

I wouldn't say it's a favourite game of mine - but is one I don't mind recommending - it's likely the most complete one dead spaces wise with some great use of non linear exploration in the space parts. I enjoyed it more than either one or two - though must admit i think apathy towards quicktime events did temper the enjoyment significantly.

Renzatic

Suspended
My list:

Dark Souls - I rave about this one every chance I get. Granted, it's not for everyone, but if it's your type of game, you'll love every second of it. And with...

Dark Souls 2 - ...coming out in three months, you might as well.

Dishonored - First person stealth stab-em-up that's just all kinds of awesome.

Dirt 3 - When you want to race cars in the dirt and get them dirty, Dirt 3 is the game you want to zoom down dirt and get dirty with.

Okami - Actually an HD remake of an old PS2 game. Still, it's a classic, and one of the two Zelda style games to out-Zelda Zelda.

Alundra - Actually a port of an old PS1 game. It's the other Zelda style game to out-Zelda Zelda. As an added bonus, since it's a 2D sprite based game, it doesn't suffer from janky mid-90's 3D.

And yes, you should buy Uncharted 3.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection followed by Metal Gear Solid 4.

Big time sink, but worth playing the series again. MGS4 was more of an "experience" then anything else, but it is definitely a labour of love.

Also The Last of Us.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Keep in mind I only get 5-10 hours to game per week.. (Lately I haven't played much though.) Playing through all of these would take a year haha!

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I think most people said some of the great titles you must play.. so I must ask why not get a HDMI switch. I bought this one recently, as my "new" HDTV has only two (same scenario as yours and trust me I have more HDMI outputs that I can count!!!). You can get a switch with less inputs of course.

Antares

macrumors 68000
Keep in mind I only get 5-10 hours to game per week.. (Lately I haven't played much though.) Playing through all of these would take a year haha!

A year? That's perfect for you, then! You can spend this coming year catching up on all these great games. They will cost you less since they are not new. If you get rid of the PS3, you'll only have a limited number of games to play on the new systems...a new system typically needs a year to get going with a good number of quality games. Plus, you'll be paying full price for the new system and games, if you buy them, now. In a year, you'll have a drop in the price of all the new consoles. You'll also have a lot more games to play on the new systems.

All of this considered, I don't think you really have any reason to jump on the new consoles, just yet. I suggest you revisit this topic in December of 2014.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I wouldn't say it's a favourite game of mine - but is one I don't mind recommending - it's likely the most complete one dead spaces wise with some great use of non linear exploration in the space parts. I enjoyed it more than either one or two - though must admit i think apathy towards quicktime events did temper the enjoyment significantly.

The PSN Sale has it for € 7,69 right now. I'm still hesitant, since I already didn't like the direction they took with part 2. And practically every review I read mentions that DS3 is more action-heavy than the first two games. At this price point, it's not even about the money anymore, but simply about the time and hard drive space I'd have to invest. :rolleyes:

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
It's a Pioneer KRP-500M. Irreplaceable. Google it haha. Only issue is it has 2 HDMI inputs.

----------

Yeah but the PS3 started at $600! I'll be waiting 3-4 years probably haha. Hope I'm making the right choice with the One at full price.

----------

Ok fine, there's another ten hours of my life :D.

Shout have waited on the one and got the ps4 at full price.

You'd have saved 100 bucks and have access to stronger franchises and superior multi plats.

Plus I'm willing to put money on the fact that xbox one will price drop BEFORE ps4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.