Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derekreilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Equipment:

iPhone 4s
MacBook Air 2013
Apple TV latest version connected to Airport Extreme via Ethernet
Airport Extreme latest version

When I airplay video from my MBA the video stutters a little bit, most noticeable when watching sports where there is a lot of movement and camera panning. However when I watch the same video from my iPhone 4s it is 100% smooth with no stuttering whatsoever.

I have the router in the same room as all devices and have tried using 2.4 and 5 Ghz.

Any ideas why the iPhone Airplay is perfect but MBA not?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you don't mention what apps you're using or the types of files.

from the problems you're having, it sounds like you may be using airplay mirroring from the MBA. And regular airplay from your phone.

they are 2 different things.

airplay mirroring has to convert your screen in real time and send it off to the remote screen. it does not have access to the file until it appears on your screen.

airplay sends a pre-converted file to the appleTV. Since the file exists it is able to read ahead and build up a buffer.

---
for what it's worth, audio only airplay (formally known as airtunes)has a third way of doing things, even though it has the same name. It takes the audio and converts it to apple lossless, but it adds a 2 second buffer, so any network hiccups hopefully don't make it to your your speakers. it adds the ability to delay the interface to match the remote audio.

derekreilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
you don't mention what apps you're using or the types of files.

from the problems you're having, it sounds like you may be using airplay mirroring from the MBA. And regular airplay from your phone.

they are 2 different things.

airplay mirroring has to convert your screen in real time and send it off to the remote screen. it does not have access to the file until it appears on your screen.

airplay sends a pre-converted file to the appleTV. Since the file exists it is able to read ahead and build up a buffer.

---
for what it's worth, audio only airplay (formally known as airtunes)has a third way of doing things, even though it has the same name. It takes the audio and converts it to apple lossless, but it adds a 2 second buffer, so any network hiccups hopefully don't make it to your your speakers. it adds the ability to delay the interface to match the remote audio.

Hi, thanks for the reply!

I wasn't aware there was another option other than mirroring from the MBA (Outside of iTunes and the like) How is that done?

Correct, Mirroring is not chosen on the iPhone.

The sports video is broadcast from the club's website via a flash window embedded in the website. Other video source used is MPlayerX for watching films.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
for web content on the mac, there really isn't an option besides mirroring. although a wired network connection for the aTV, MBA, or both may help.

For files that you have, there are a couple of options like airflick and beamer that will take a file and convert it as you watch, but because it can read ahead, and buffer, the quality should be much better.
i really don't have much experience with either piece of software though.

derekreilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
for web content on the mac, there really isn't an option besides mirroring. although a wired network connection for the aTV, MBA, or both may help.

For files that you have, there are a couple of options like airflick and beamer that will take a file and convert it as you watch, but because it can read ahead, and buffer, the quality should be much better.
i really don't have much experience with either piece of software though.

I just tried Beamer and the quality is superb, thanks for that. 15 Euro but worth it! I guess for the sports streaming I'll just stick to HDMI until another solution is invented :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.