PDA

View Full Version : Rumors fly on upcoming Apple gadgets

MacBytes
Dec 21, 2005, 10:34 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Rumors fly on upcoming Apple gadgets (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051221233400)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

dornoforpyros
Dec 22, 2005, 09:15 AM
right now somebody is standing in an elevator with a mock up of an apple product made of styrofoam and taking pictures for all of us to drool over.
Hooray!

iGary
Dec 22, 2005, 09:21 AM
Hmmm...so what software are these Intel books gonna use?

Stella
Dec 22, 2005, 09:43 AM
Hmmm...so what software are these Intel books gonna use?

If you've not been living under a rock ( which you probably haven't ) then you may have heard of Rossetta....

Quite a lot of software has been ported to Intel already ( shareware and commercial ).

I'm very surprise you have to ask this question since your a regular...

jdechko
Dec 22, 2005, 09:47 AM
The writer could have just provided a link to macrumors.com. There's nothing new in there that we don't already know (suspect) might be shown at MacWorld in only a few weeks! (Yay).

Edit: @ iGary, probably most of the "Pro" apps from Apple that you will use (I know you need them) will be available the same time your Intel Mac is released. Apple has most likely kept the big developers (Adobe, Microsoft, etc) in the loop as to when the Intel Macs will hit the market so as to give them a "deadline" of when to have the software ready. I'm sure that Adobe CS for the Intel Mac is ready (they've had about 6 months to work on it). All they had to do (that I can figure) is just rewrite the main applications. All of the extra stuff should be cross-platform already (PS brushes, filters, etc).

Edit: OK, so after looking at some stuff, Adobe isn't quite ready, but I really think that it won't be too long after the intel macs are released that the programs follow.

iGary
Dec 22, 2005, 09:52 AM
If you've not been living under a rock ( which you probably haven't ) then you may have heard of Rossetta....

Quite a lot of software has been ported to Intel already ( shareware and commercial ).

I'm very surprise you have to ask this question since your a regular...

Right, and it hasn't been released yet - as far as I have heard the latest beta of the Intel version of OS X is real buggy - and there are hardly any major commercial programs with universal binaries yet.

So yeah, tell me why someone would want to buy something where most of their software would be running on an emulator? I just don't understand why everyone's excited about being guinea pigs, that's all. ;)

But maybe all of these major suppliers will have releases at MWSF (I really doubt it) and the OS X Intel version will be spot on. If I believed that, I'd be first in line for a PowerBook with a dual-core processor.

Randall
Dec 22, 2005, 09:55 AM
Hmmm...so what software are these Intel books gonna use?wow :rolleyes:

iGary
Dec 22, 2005, 09:56 AM
wow :rolleyes:

Go find me a copy...

Randall
Dec 22, 2005, 09:58 AM
Go find me a copy...What do you mean? A copy of OS X86 or a copy of the many software titles available as Universal Binaries? Ohhhh did you think I ment WoW as in World of Warcraft? No no no, I ment wow as in "are you serious?" lmao

doucy2
Dec 22, 2005, 10:03 AM
some noob posted this same link yesterday
i hope 2nd gen nanos come out soon after because i would be all over a nano that doesnt scratch easy and is 8gb

Randall
Dec 22, 2005, 10:08 AM
some noob posted this same link yesterday
i hope 2nd gen nanos come out soon after because i would be all over a nano that doesnt scratch easy and is 8gbYou can get a sweet protective plastic casing for your nano and people won't even be able to tell that it's in a case. Check it out. http://www.theinvisibleshield.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=9

iGary
Dec 22, 2005, 10:25 AM
What do you mean? A copy of OS X86 or a copy of the many software titles available as Universal Binaries? Ohhhh did you think I ment WoW as in World of Warcraft? No no no, I ment wow as in "are you serious?" lmao

A working copy of OS X86...I drink the Kool-Aid, too, brother, but I still don't see how they are gonna pull this off smoothly.

Randall
Dec 22, 2005, 10:27 AM
A working copy of OS X86...I drink the Kool-Aid, too, brother, but I still don't see how they are gonna pull this off smoothly.I don't think I can send you that without getting into deep trouble, but you'll have to take my word for it that OS X86 works just as well (If not better) then the PPC version. Add a dual core Yonah in the mix and prepare to be floored. ;)

First, the Rosetta emulation platform in 10.4.3 build 8F1111A has been upgraded to feature full G4 support, including Altivec. This not only adds a new layer of compatibility to Rosetta, but also improved speed for Altivec-equipped applications. This upgrade is reportedly available as a small downloadable update to build 8F1111.

iGary
Dec 22, 2005, 10:30 AM
I don't think I can send you that without getting into deep trouble, but you'll have to take my word for it that OS X86 works just as well (If not better) then the PPC version. Add a dual core Yonah in the mix and prepare to be floored. ;)

Emulated though? How exciting is it to have a processor that I have to run Photoshop through an emulator to use?

Maybe I'll be surprised - I hope I am. I have money in hand waiting for both Adobe and Apple for a 17-inch Intel PB and an OS X86 version of OS X.

Randall
Dec 22, 2005, 10:32 AM
Emulated though? How exciting is it to have a processor that I have to run Photoshop through an emulator to use?

Maybe I'll be surprised - I hope I am. I have money in hand waiting for both Adobe and Apple for a 17-inch Intel PB and an OS X86 version of OS X.It is entirely possible that the emulated version could run faster then the real deal on G4. :cool:

Sunrunner
Dec 22, 2005, 10:33 AM

Maybe I'll be surprised - I hope I am. I have money in hand waiting for both Adobe and Apple for a 17-inch Intel PB and an OS X86 version of OS X.

This isnt so much pure emulation as it is seperate packages of code being executed based on the processor...

iGary
Dec 22, 2005, 10:35 AM
This isnt so much pure emulation as it is seperate packages of code being executed based on the processor...

I'll let you guys test it out with your 4 grand first. :D

zelmo
Dec 22, 2005, 10:50 AM
The lack of UB software from Adobe (et al) is what makes me now believe that the first InteliMacs will be the iBook and Mac mini, premiering at MWSF in a scant couple of weeks (shipping in February). Most people who buy these consumer machines are primarily using email, web, and iLife app's, all of which Apple surely has ready to go by now. Let the average consumer group be the test-bed to show off the speed of the new processor family, then sit back and watch the feeding frenzy when Adobe CS for x86 is announced along-side dualcore PowerBooks sometime in April or May (shipping at WWDC).

Randall
Dec 22, 2005, 11:36 AM
The lack of UB software from Adobe (et al) is what makes me now believe that the first InteliMacs will be the iBook and Mac mini, premiering at MWSF in a scant couple of weeks (shipping in February). Most people who buy these consumer machines are primarily using email, web, and iLife app's, all of which Apple surely has ready to go by now. Let the average consumer group be the test-bed to show off the speed of the new processor family, then sit back and watch the feeding frenzy when Adobe CS for x86 is announced along-side dualcore PowerBooks sometime in April or May (shipping at WWDC).I believe that Adobe went on the record to say as much as an x86 version wouldn't be availabe until CS3, which makes sense. But that is why we have Rosetta. Jobs loaded up Photoshop CS2 in what looked to be reasonable time on the P4 machine he was demoing, and that was in June, before Rosetta got even better. :)

Stella
Dec 22, 2005, 11:40 AM
Your previous posts suggest you are very much Anti Intel...

.. but Apple have no where else to go. At the moment G5s are good - but its not certain that IBM will keep up ( the processors in the 360 are not quite the same as the 970's that go into Apple computers). They've broken the 3 Gig 'promise' of course, and still the G5 is too hot to put in a laptop.

Moving to Intel ( x86 ) is Apple's best choice. There is no where else to go. If Intel mess up, Apple can switch to AMD.

Freescale? Nope, their upcoming new G4 processors still won't match the latest Intel processors ( or AMD ).

I'll take your comments about what you've heard regarding Rossetta with a pinch of salt...

Right, and it hasn't been released yet - as far as I have heard the latest beta of the Intel version of OS X is real buggy - and there are hardly any major commercial programs with universal binaries yet.

So yeah, tell me why someone would want to buy something where most of their software would be running on an emulator? I just don't understand why everyone's excited about being guinea pigs, that's all. ;)

But maybe all of these major suppliers will have releases at MWSF (I really doubt it) and the OS X Intel version will be spot on. If I believed that, I'd be first in line for a PowerBook with a dual-core processor.

mlrproducts
Dec 26, 2005, 02:09 AM
This makes me sick. Some two bit dunghole makes a carpload of cash "forecasting" Apple sales based on speculative upcoming products. I don't get paid to read MR everyday.

Then some Clinton News Network wh*re gets up and gets paid to REPEAT the minions' words. Un-friggin-believable.