Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sultanoflondon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Hi all.

I was wondering whether I could hook up a Seagate 3TB USB 3.0 onto a TalkTalk HG533 as an NAS? I know that most users are U.S. based, but the router supports USB 2.0 connection. Don't know whether that is just for a printer though?

If this were to be done, I would be using this as a Time Machine backup drive. Would it be extremely slow? I might backup my MacBook to it as well. Now, it is lightening fast, due to the USB 3.0 connection, but might slow down?

Thanks for any comments.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
A bit of googling shows that indeed, you can connect a drive via USB. However I expect that the router has a slow CPU so I think it will have trouble even saturating an USB 2 bus, let alone USB 3.

USB 2 might be fast enough for TimeMachine. But offering TimeMachine access is something that only Apple hardware does, plus the companies offering real NASes like Synology, Qlogic, WD, etc.

It's a feature that is definitely mentioned on the box, so to speak. This router only offers SMB shares. Third party backup clients such as CrashPlan do support that, though. It's free so play around with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.