View Full Version : Who's gonna get a G5?

Scab Cake
Jan 26, 2002, 07:45 PM
I know that everyone on this board is excited for the G5 or even the post-1 GHz machines, but who is really going to get one? How many people on the boards are actually planning on purchasing one? And, if you're not planning on purchasing one, why are you excited for it? I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm just curious. I'm excited for them just because I'm addicted to seeing new stuff from Apple on the market and then watching the other computer companies imitate it.

I was GOING to save and wait for the G5, but I didn't have the patience after the Quicksilver enclosure came out. I just had to have one, so I bought mine in September. If the G5s weren't out in January, then I was just going to buy the best machine I could for the spring semester. After last week's no-show of new G4s, I'm glad I didn't. :)

Jan 26, 2002, 08:00 PM
...I'M GOING TO GET ONE!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :p :D

Jan 26, 2002, 08:16 PM
I've got the next 'top-o-the-line' tower on order at my local reseller. I've been told it will be a Dual 1Ghz G4 but with Apple backing out of the well known 22nd launch, who knows what or when it will be.

Jan 26, 2002, 08:55 PM
I'm getting one. Just as soon as they come out. And photoshop should be out by then too. Yeah.

Ensign Paris
Jan 26, 2002, 09:12 PM
Probably this Tuesday or Thursday according to my sources (AppleStores in UK)

I will get one at work.

Jan 26, 2002, 09:17 PM
im gonna get one! but not for awhile... im still in high school, but im gonna get one right before i leave for college... so most likely whatever is special after the july 2003 expo, hopefully g5 will be out by then ;) hehehe:p

even better, hopefully by then, it'll be in laptop form.. :)

Jan 26, 2002, 10:07 PM
I oringinally caught onto the mac bug right around the time of the G5 rumors starting, and I was planning on getting a G5 or graphite G4 when I got the money.

Then things changed, my main computers (pc's), died and became so horribly in need of repair they eventually just destroyed completely:

My Pentium 166 had a 8 year old hard drive in it running on it's last half leg, it finally died on me, and I stuck a new pentium 3 setup in there, the power source exploded after 6 years of constant use... and a surge I made by accident.

My Pentium 3, 750 now lies partially built, in need of a few parts, and a motherboard, and might never get built (it only ran 10 days!)

Other than that, I was fed up, and was on my last leg of my computers that I had a big deal about in 98, when everything I had was a great machine.

I finally went down to a 75mhz laptop, and spied on the Quicksilver, I wanted a cube soooo badly, but they were discontinued, and the cube rocked! In September I had the money I was promised, a ****load, and didn't want to wait any longer. I had two choices:

A. Buy a cheap computer and hold out for the G5
B. Buy a cube setup (my mom didn't let me buy one from ebay.. good thing)
C. Buy the best thing I could find

I originally was going to go with plan A, but that didn't seem so attractive, and I saw the G4 800 dp quicksilver with cinema at a compusa, fell so much in love with the setup, the next day we were taking a cart out with one, and a good printer :)

The total was $7,156 sometime in late September. *shrug* Nothing could be better. And I'm glad I didn't wait!

Jan 26, 2002, 10:58 PM
...shortly after mine (G3 233Mhz, 384MBs ram, 30 GB 7200rpm HD) can no longer run the operating system. Probably somewhere between 10.2 and 10.5, but maybe not 'till 11. The I'll just have to persuade my parents that we need a new one.

Jan 26, 2002, 11:19 PM
I will probably have to wait until at least after MWNY to get a G5 (provided they are out). The longest I will be able to wait is after the second revision. I am selling my current G4 tower, and will be putting that $$ aside. I will need to use it towards the motorcycle, luckily I will still have my TiBook 500MHz to use.

I know that I will get a G5, just a matter of when.

Kid Red
Jan 27, 2002, 12:26 AM
I'm getting one if they come out soon, I don't know how long I can wait. If G4s come out now, I might get it to hold me over until a sweet G5 comes out.

Jan 27, 2002, 12:50 AM
Im getting the new iMac...

i guess I shouldnt have posted here then, huh?


Jan 27, 2002, 12:51 AM
Id love to get a G5 but if it doesnt come out by march i will have to settle for a 1.0+GHZ G4. I cant wait till summer because i need a new computer for college so if the G5 isnt out by March i will be forced to by a G4

Jan 27, 2002, 01:31 AM
in a year i am getting the top of the range G5 and then not getting another computer for ten years.

Also, I shall need to upgrade my iBook somewhere here, it is already showing signs of age from my school environment.

The G5 will rock, can't wait for it. Nothing else will stand in its way.

Jan 27, 2002, 01:39 AM
I am getting a G5. But if it doesn't come out by MWNY then I am not sure if I can wait. My wife wants a new iMac pretty bad ;)

Jan 27, 2002, 02:26 AM
No, I'm not going to get a new Mac any time soon.

Why am I so interested in it all, then? Because I've grown up with Macs, and watched wintel take over, even though the wintel world is crap. So I want Apple to come out with the best new technology so everyone uses Macs again.

Then the world will be a better place.

That's what I stand for.

Jan 27, 2002, 02:30 AM
All this talk of G5s. Sheesh. Pretty silly. I'd love to see them released and would try my best to get my hands on one IF they were. But they ain't, and in my opinion, won't be for a long time, possibly not until next year. Frankly, I'd be pretty psyched if Apple released a 1.2GHz G4. That would be a machine that could be a legitimate source of competition for the x86 world.

Jan 27, 2002, 02:52 AM
I will get one too, but probably the second generation or even the third and it will be the top of the line model.

Not getting the first ones because I just bought the 867 (was going for the DP800 but decided to save for G5s) two months ago thus no immediate need nor cash to get the first gens.

Jan 27, 2002, 04:07 AM
I want the new macs to come out so I can afford the current ones. It's not like the current 800 mhz G4 is going to magically become slower just because a faster processor exists, and that thing flys compared to my 450 mhz G3, and after a new processor comes out, the price for a system with that in it will be cut drastically.

Jan 27, 2002, 05:51 AM
As soon it is released, I'm going to get a G5.

If Apple's next released PowerMac is still a G4 I'll skip it and wait for the G5.

Jan 27, 2002, 07:31 AM
um um um

Jan 27, 2002, 08:04 AM
With all this talk of new MTs, I'd love to see some faster upgrades made available by the Sonnets and Powerlogixes out there. I mean, isn't anyone sick of their charging ~$500 for a single-500MHz G4 ZIF upgrade?? I can get a two-year old single-x86 processor for what, lunch??

And it's not just the price. It's the bleepin' speed. 500MHz after all this time?? Where are the 800MHz upgrades?? I have a B&W 350MHz G3 which I'd either love to replace with a new machine or at least install a faster, more up-to-date G4 upgrade card.

Jan 27, 2002, 09:08 AM
I will hopefully get a G5. I've been saving up for a year now, and looking for a year and a half. I NEED a new tower for school/personal use for 3D animation and DV editing. I was going to get a new computer for this semester but will now wait till july and get the top of the line then...I can only pray!

Jan 27, 2002, 09:28 AM
I will be getting a new iMac in a few months for home use.

At work, we have been patiently waiting for Apple to come out with a faster bus (and, of course) a faster processor. BUS speed, however, is very important to us. We created 3D animations and interactive CD's and need all the horsepower possible, but will not be able to upgrade for a while after we use the budget we have now.

We will wait until July for the G5 if need be. Hopefully they will come out sooner.

Jan 27, 2002, 01:54 PM
I will get a new tower.....just not anytime soon...

too many expenses and responsibilities to worry about it for now....

Jan 27, 2002, 03:01 PM
Yes, I am most definitely getting a G5. Since I don't really "need" a computer, I can wait as long as it takes (I will be getting it mostly for games hehehehehehe)! I'm so excited for the G5's - they're gonna be sweet!

edit: and while I'm at it, I will also get the top-of-the line display at that time, too. heh