Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Oh my goodness gracious! Check out GM's concept for a car to compete with Bentley and Rolls Royce:

http://msnbc.com/news/854650.asp?0cv=CB21

Just a concept car for now, but GM’s vice chairman and chief of product development really wants to build it to restore prestige to the Cadillac name (already making a comeback).

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i want one :) everyone needs a champaign cooler in their car, lets hope there's a screen or a lot of execs will be getting busted for open container...

i dont know if even this will restore cadillac's image tho, after the catera was released, everyone and their dog got one... they went through the same problem that BMW went through in the early '90's... BMW recovered because they fell into obscurity again, even tho they have a lower-priced line (300 series)...

as it stands, lexus is the only untainted image, but even their prices have come down a bit...

:)
pnw

ChicagoMac

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2002
Battle Creek, MI
What would be the point of 1,000 hp in a car you would just drive down the street? That's just crazy! And what about the gas mileage!?!? Sounds like the concept of the oil companies not a car manufacturer. Don't get me wrong. I'm not some crazy environmentalist against logging, fur coats and drilling in Alaska, but let's use some sense.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by ChicagoMac
What would be the point of 1,000 hp in a car you would just drive down the street? That's just crazy! And what about the gas mileage!?!? Sounds like the concept of the oil companies not a car manufacturer. Don't get me wrong. I'm not some crazy environmentalist against logging, fur coats and drilling in Alaska, but let's use some sense.

Yes it's a gas-guzzling nightmare. It's made of all aluminum, though, to increase fuel efficiency, but only to the level of other huge cars (e.g. Bentley, Rolls Royce, etc.). Nothing I would ever drive, but I thought it was so over-the-top that it would be entertaining to know about...

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
I still like the looks of Bentleys also. I think that they are great looking cars, but they are expensive.

pantagruel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2002
here and there
Cadillac is not bringing back its name, its becoming just like all the other cars out there, years ago you could look down the street and you could tell if a car was a caddy but now they are getting all weird, "is it a new odd pontiac or the new caddy?"
But I'd also like to say that I dont like Caddillacs, they are huge street hogs, keep the boats on your dock and off the street dagnamit! anyways we need to start making our cars smaller, there is too much wasted space in cars that make them too large, people are too wrapped up in image, there are more important things right now, like saving on gas mileage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.