PDA

View Full Version : Once bitten, twice Apple shy

MacBytes
Dec 22, 2005, 09:57 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Once bitten, twice Apple shy (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051222105732)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

rjwill246
Dec 22, 2005, 12:02 PM
One would imagine that users of non-Apple systems did not face maintenance problems, yet, one of my friends in Adelaide had to wait six weeks for repairs to an expensive system that still malfunctioned. This did not make news.
The media in OZ is still very Microsoft centric and any Apple bashing is rather gleefully celebrated in articles of this type.

Having said that, it is distressing that Apple in OZ seems to be no better than its competitors when it comes to service- this has been true forever and is one of the reasons many of my colleagues have not seen the value in Macintosh, as it comes at a premium price in this country and with too many Apple staff having a real 'take it or leave it' attitude, and oftentimes dreadful sevice, one wonders that Apple is doing as well as it is in Australia.
The iPod success covers a multitude of sins, it seems.

It is not clear to me if Apple USA has just let Apple OZ drift along with inferior support, or Apple OZ is just plain incompetent- but stories like the above should never happen.

Here is a customer about to go from the frying pan into the fire- it's bad luck that some of that fire is not in SJ's solar plexus, as far as OZ is concerned.

Seasought
Dec 22, 2005, 12:44 PM
Again it feels like another pointless article. It's essentially one customer's bad support experience. It doesn't quantify the majority, but by bringing it to light online it tends to encourage a sense of widespread dissatisfaction.

I don't like this article and don't see any use for it being available to anyone.

winmacguy
Dec 22, 2005, 01:05 PM
Again it feels like another pointless article. It's essentially one customer's bad support experience. It doesn't quantify the majority, but by bringing it to light online it tends to encourage a sense of widespread dissatisfaction.

I don't like this article and don't see any use for it being available to anyone.
Australian PC Mag tends to highlight articles like this in their 'Letters to the Editor' section quite a bit, funny thing is they only pick the worst problems and don't often mention the customers how enjoy their Apple products. I sometimes get the feeling that a lot of people still expect Apple to suddenly fail and go out of business as though it were a continuation of the mid nineties when they were struggling. A lot of people seem to give the impression that if it isn't Microsoft then it shouldn't succeed, and if you can't upgrade or bulid the computer from with parts from a variety of manufacturers then they are not interested - and then they stop and look in amazement at the G5iMac and ask where the Hard Drive is, followed by, how do I upgrade the (component) when I want a faster version :rolleyes:

Paul O'Keefe
Dec 22, 2005, 01:27 PM
Shame on apple. Just send the guy a new computer if you can't get a part to him in a timely fashion.

mkrishnan
Dec 22, 2005, 01:33 PM
Isn't this a first-generation iMac G5 problem? Where did this individual get a new First Gen in the past few months? :eek: Seems like a strange situation.

Anyway, unfortunate, nonetheless. I agree that if they cannot fix it in a timely fashion, then it should be replaced. The article notes how it isn't AppleCare's issue that replacement parts are not available... I disagree...well, I haven't read the fine print, but I disagree in principle. They have bottom line responsibility to provide the customer with working equipment.

I had a somewhat similar bad experience with my previous car, which was purchased about six months after it was launched as a new vehicle. The suspension leaked and could not be replaced for about three weeks, making the car pretty much unsafe to drive, at least at highway speeds. I was not a happy camper either.

But it's also a single person's issue... it should not be presented in absence of the fact that a similar story probably exists within the given time frame for almost any consumer products company, and either presenting a basis on which that bad experience demonstrates a trend, or clearly stating that no such evidence exists.

Seasought
Dec 22, 2005, 01:43 PM
Shame on apple. Just send the guy a new computer if you can't get a part to him in a timely fashion.

I agree and I can't help but think the article may have omitted criticism with regard to the customer not demanding such. I realize a customer shouldn't have to but, come on, a person has to stand up for things sometimes.

Jimjiminey
Dec 22, 2005, 07:22 PM
"Mr Acres said given what he described as "horrendous problems" the models had in the US, it was wrong of Apple to sell machines it could neither fix nor replace if things went wrong."

Where is this guy getting his facts?

He said it was not good enough for Apple not to hold spare parts in Australia when their product had a history of power supply problems.

What history. I know of 5 iMacs, and not a single problem. Will someone write a letter saying that?
Of course not.
I had a Dell refused to boot. I had to wait a week to get a box, send it in, then wait for an email saying it was fixed, the wait a week to get it back.
Where is my article. Dell has had "horrendous problems" but where is the coverage?