PDA

View Full Version : How Apple Could Make iBooks and PowerBooks Even More Attract...

MacBytes
Dec 22, 2005, 10:11 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: How Apple Could Make iBooks and PowerBooks Even More Attractive (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051222111119)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

MacFan782040
Dec 22, 2005, 10:26 AM
Ehh... don't bring back those fruity colors to a laptop.

shamino
Dec 22, 2005, 11:21 AM
How about user-replaceable color panels, like many cell phones have?

Ship them in white and sell an optional package of replacement panels with various colors for those who want them.

Probably won't happen, but an interesting concept nevertheless.

Seasought
Dec 22, 2005, 11:27 AM

Ship them in white and sell an optional package of replacement panels with various colors for those who want them.

I think this is a good idea and it could add supplemental protection to your laptop at the same time. Everyone likes variety and this would allow those who enjoy changing how their laptop looks on a regular basis (much like their wallpaper) to do so.

My impression is that if they were to add color to their line of laptops it would be only when you purchase it (pick from these colors sort of thing).

I personally think the idea of attachment covers or swap-able panels is a great idea.

Silencio
Dec 22, 2005, 11:28 AM
"Imagine a multicolored LED Apple logo on the cover of the iBook [...]"

*SCREECH!*

*Gag!*

I think I can safely ignore the rest of the article after that doozie of a suggestion...

Seasought
Dec 22, 2005, 11:29 AM

I agree for the most part. I was never fond of the 'bubble-gum' colors that were everywhere in past. However, some people like that sort of thing. I just hope that if they do go back to the multi-color idea they add some really nice, polished colors (something like a midnight blue with a blue, backlit keyboard for example). People would go nuts over that I'm thinking.

As a side note, remember how the Nintendo website had that whole 'Which color N64 are you?' sort of quiz? I think reinforcing a sense of identity with your color of laptop would be effective (as it has been in other campaigns).

runninmac
Dec 22, 2005, 11:40 AM
"Imagine a multicolored LED Apple logo on the cover of the iBook [...]"

*SCREECH!*

*Gag!*

I think I can safely ignore the rest of the article after that doozie of a suggestion...

Yeah I agree... but I still finished the article. The multicolored apple logo would look horrid! Also I just don't think it's very appleish to have changeable face plates for a laptop. If they were going to have that they would have introduced it with the iPods first and that type of customization. I do think a iPod mini looking laptop would be kickass, those are the type of colors that would be cool.l

GregUofMN
Dec 22, 2005, 11:53 AM
There is a beautiful, simple elegance to Apple's current line of products. I think that adding colors logos or colored case shells would be the equivalent of putting neon lights in a PC case. I don't think Apple will return to the multi-color look for quite a while. Since they haven't done it with the current line of iPods then they won't do it with any of their computers... thank God.

I think that iBooks do appeal to a younger user, therefore I suggest it mimick the teen popular iPods. The Powerbooks (like the one I'm using right now) are geared for professionals and the appearance should reflect the clean-line, modern edge that the G5 tower's have.

Seasought
Dec 22, 2005, 12:02 PM
There is a beautiful, simple elegance to Apple's current line of products. I think that adding colors logos or colored case shells would be the equivalent of putting neon lights in a PC case. I don't think Apple will return to the multi-color look for quite a while. Since they haven't done it with the current line of iPods then they won't do it with any of their computers... thank God.

I think that iBooks do appeal to a younger user, therefore I suggest it mimick the teen popular iPods. The Powerbooks (like the one I'm using right now) are geared for professionals and the appearance should reflect the clean-line, modern edge that the G5 tower's have.

I would normally agree with regard to the case shells, but if anyone could pull it off well it would be Apple.

Ideally, I'd liked to see colors used with the same professional and elegant look of the current Powerbooks but in dark blues, or black or other colors along those lines.

I think the silver and white is perfect and wouldn't really care if it ever changed to be honest. :D The white has become something of a staple with Apple but I realize this too has changed over time.

Randall
Dec 22, 2005, 12:03 PM
Let's not mess with prefection here. The only things that need improvement are higher screen resolutions and better sounding integrated speakers. Apple's laptops are gorgeus. :D

oh and the ibooks should start using widescreen aspect ratios too.

SiliconAddict
Dec 22, 2005, 12:30 PM

There is no problem with the fruity colors as long as its iPod Mini-fied. Read: Its metal baby!

jlewis2k1
Dec 22, 2005, 12:55 PM
how about the casing of the laptop has a thin layer of fiber optic in between the casing and you can change the color of your laptop via control panel?

Yvan256
Dec 22, 2005, 01:26 PM
how about the casing of the laptop has a thin layer of fiber optic in between the casing and you can change the color of your laptop via control panel?

Indeed! Didn't Apple apply for such a patent a while back?

I'd still rather have a high-res e-ink cover, so I could put monochrome designs on it. Heck, imagine an Apple laptop that has animations on its cover! ;)

shamino
Dec 22, 2005, 01:42 PM
There is a beautiful, simple elegance to Apple's current line of products. I think that adding colors logos or colored case shells would be the equivalent of putting neon lights in a PC case.
Depends on how it's done.

Take, for example, ColorWare's (http://www.colorwarepc.com/content.aspx?id=20#gallery) work. Some of their color choices are ugly, but some look really great. (And I'm sure different people will have different opinions about which ones are ugly and which are great.)
I think that iBooks do appeal to a younger user, therefore I suggest it mimic the teen popular iPods. The Powerbooks (like the one I'm using right now) are geared for professionals and the appearance should reflect the clean-line, modern edge that the G5 tower's have.
iBooks appeal to a lot more than just kids.

I chose one for the following reasons, which have nothing to do with looks:

I want something small that I can carry around easily. Which means a 12" model. A 12" PowerBook costs a lot more than a 12" iBook, and is almost equivalent in terms of performance and features.
iBooks have better Wi-Fi reception. Probably due to the non-metal case.
iBooks seem to be more durable. Aluminum dents and scratches easily. I've seen a lot of PowerBooks with damaged cases, especially on the corners, sometimes damaging the power connector, and this is without subjecting the device to abuse. I've never heard of this happening to an iBook's polycarbonate case.

shamino
Dec 22, 2005, 01:52 PM
Yeah I agree... but I still finished the article. The multicolored apple logo would look horrid!
I don't know. This case-mod (http://homepage.mac.com/jimyounkin/PhotoAlbum6.html) made it look really good.

But it still won't happen. The rainbow-Mac logo is too retro for Apple these days.

mdavey
Dec 22, 2005, 01:56 PM
...with a blue, backlit keyboard for example...

What is it with blue? The author of the article also suggested blue. Blue is tacky and very 1990s. Why not white just like the power led on the current Mac range?

SiliconAddict
Dec 22, 2005, 02:18 PM
What is it with blue? The author of the article also suggested blue. Blue is tacky and very 1990s. Why not white just like the power led on the current Mac range?

Blue is astatically more soothing then white. Something about the color itself. Probably the fact that we have evolved with a blue sky above us and a blue ocean around us. It could be a tie to the world itself. Also I think the eye picks up more of the color because there is a cone in the eye that responds to the wavelength blue. Or maybe it was purple? *shrugs* I read something about it somewhere at sometime.

macjunkie82
Dec 22, 2005, 02:23 PM

*Flashback to my PowerBook 1400c*

From http://www.tidbits.com/tb-issues/TidBITS-350.html#lnk2
BookCovers -- Perhaps the most talked-about new feature of the PowerBook 1400 is its removable lid panel, called a BookCover. Apple will ship the PowerBook 1400's with a standard grey cover and a transparent cover: the basic idea of the transparent cover is that you can slip a bit of pre-printed, laminated card stock under it to give your 1400 a distinctive look. Apple will reportedly include a number of card-stock designs with the 1400 - think of them as the PowerBook equivalent to Desktop Patterns, except these kill trees - or with a little ambition you could certainly create your own "CoverWear." I've seen reports of third-party replacement lids, some offering functional enhancements like stereo speakers, and some offering... well, something else entirely. Imagine a celebrity BookCover line painted by Ringo Starr, and you get the idea

Photo from http://www.maclab.dk/dokumentation/macintosh/powerbook/1400/grafik/bookcover.jpg

http://www.maclab.dk/dokumentation/macintosh/powerbook/1400/grafik/bookcover.jpg

*shudder*

:rolleyes:

Eidorian
Dec 22, 2005, 02:26 PM
*Flashback to my PowerBook 1400c*

From http://www.tidbits.com/tb-issues/TidBITS-350.html#lnk2

Click here for a photo (http://www.maclab.dk/dokumentation/macintosh/powerbook/1400/grafik/bookcover.jpg)

*shudder*

:rolleyes:Umm...I actually like that cover shown in the picture. I'd just like some more build to order options like the video card or screen resolution. I don't expect to see as much performance locking like we saw on the G4. Intel has a ton of Mobile chips. I'd LOVE the ability to just pick a size and customize your CPU and specs.

shamino
Dec 24, 2005, 11:37 AM
Blue is astatically more soothing then white. Something about the color itself. Probably the fact that we have evolved with a blue sky above us and a blue ocean around us.
But inappropriate for a backlight/keyboard-light.

When you're in a dark room, blue light kills any hope of night vision. And bright blue light is painful if your eyes have already adjusted to darkness.

Red would work much better for a keyboard light, IMO.

Of course, compared to everything coming off of an LCD panel, the color of the keyboard light is probably irrelevant.

Which brings to mind something else. I would love the brightness control of my iBook to be settable to much lower settings without shutting off altogether. If I'm in a dark room, even the lowest setting is a bit too bright.

Seasought
Dec 24, 2005, 12:08 PM
I think that overall giving more options on customizing the way your portable looks is important. I know a big factor (it was a factor for me) is the way my notebook looks and being given the option to go with a black, brushed metal or a midnight blue (sorry, I'm stuck on this color) would have made things even more fun for me. I would have stuck with the standard look most likely as I've always been fond of silver.

I know that just as there are those people out there who love the way the Powerbooks and iBooks look there are those that aren't that crazy about it. Having additional choice with regard to color and look would help reel in those people that stay out of the Apple consumer pool because of such aesthetics.