Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
I just installed the OS X GW2 client yesterday and had the game open for about 2-3 mintues and in that time of basically standing there and then doing a pan of the scenery to check the framerates, the fans in my late 2013 rMBP hit plaid speed. Is this something I'm going to have to deal with pretty much any time I open any game that uses more than basic resources?

sonyisawesome

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2012
It's a common sense that when you run graphic intensive programs like video games, your fans would kick in to kill the heat. Making your laptop run louder.

TheBunny

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2013
DC / Baltimore
I just installed the OS X GW2 client yesterday and had the game open for about 2-3 mintues and in that time of basically standing there and then doing a pan of the scenery to check the framerates, the fans in my late 2013 rMBP hit plaid speed. Is this something I'm going to have to deal with pretty much any time I open any game that uses more than basic resources?

Yup.
Perfectly normal.
and the surface of the machine is going to get physically hot also.

These high end GPUs are really pushing the cooling power of these low profile mac laptops.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
in that time of basically standing there and then doing a pan of the scenery to check the framerates, the fans in my late 2013 rMBP hit plaid speed. Is this something I'm going to have to deal with pretty much any time I open any game that uses more than basic resources?

What you describe is close to a stress test, the fans don't max out when you use a little more than basic resources. :)

With a game (depending on the game and the settings) you can actually start drawing so much power your laptop battery can start to slowly drain even if you have a charger plugged in! I have seen games peg the CPU at close to 100% of all 4 cores and over 95% of the GPU at the same time.

When you are creating that much heat you need to have the cooling fans on maximum especially give the wafer thin packaging Apple uses for it's laptops.

That said you can play for hours without any trouble, you just get some fan noise in the background.

Edwin

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
It's a common sense that when you run graphic intensive programs like video games, your fans would kick in to kill the heat. Making your laptop run louder.

Running WoW, Eve, and other games on a first gen C2D dell Inspiron at near max graphics never did that. At least not that loud.

Dekard

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2011
Dallas, Texas
VI™;18516816 said:
Running WoW, Eve, and other games on a first gen C2D dell Inspiron at near max graphics never did that. At least not that loud.

You mean games that originally came out around the turn of the century?? I know they update the game with new tech, but you can't compare games released in 2003/2004 to newer games like Battlefield 4.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
You mean games that originally came out around the turn of the century?? I know they update the game with new tech, but you can't compare games released in 2003/2004 to newer games like Battlefield 4.

The dell was purchased probably about 5-6 years ago and GW2 shouldn't be a very graphically intensive game. I'm also going to toss DA:O on there with some older single player RPGs.

Dekard

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2011
Dallas, Texas
VI™;18517375 said:
The dell was purchased probably about 5-6 years ago and GW2 shouldn't be a very graphically intensive game. I'm also going to toss DA:O on there with some older single player RPGs.

GW2 is actually quiet graphically intensive..

It takes a lot of resources to push poly's and textures of this magnitude.. :D

divinitys_reach.jpg

45c3ddc0-f074-4c8b-9fab-8fc94903685c.jpg

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
VI™;18516816 said:

Looking at that series the laptop keys are about at thick as the entire rMBP ;)

I am joking but it's double the thickness of the Mac more or less with lower spec hardware (aka heat generators), if you package everything with loads of space and bigger fans they can run slower the downside is you end up with a laptop that is closer to double the size of a rMBP. Smaller packing means the fans have to run faster to keep things cool.

Dell_Inspiron_1720_Singapore.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.