Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 17, 2012
XCOM Enemy Unknown was named by the Mac App Store as Game of the Year! So I wanted to congratulate everyone at Feral for a great job bringing us yet another awesome game for Mac. What is more, LEGO Lord of the Rings, Rayman Origins, Batman Arkham City and Napoleon Total War were all listed among the best games of 2013. Nice going Feral!

Hats off to Aspyr too who won runner up for Game of the Year with Bioshock Infinite. Thanks to all at Aspyr for also bringing us great Mac gaming throughout the year!

:D

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yep, thanks! :) Looking at XCom I see there is both a Mac version $50 and an iOS version $20. I wonder how much different they are? Anyone play both?

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
XCOM Enemy Unknown was named by the Mac App Store as Game of the Year! So I wanted to congratulate everyone at Feral for a great job bringing us yet another awesome game for Mac. What is more, LEGO Lord of the Rings, Rayman Origins, Batman Arkham City and Napoleon Total War were all listed among the best games of 2013. Nice going Feral!

Hats off to Aspyr too who won runner up for Game of the Year with Bioshock Infinite. Thanks to all at Aspyr for also bringing us great Mac gaming throughout the year!

:D

I'd like to second that and tip the Aspyr hat to Feral for a great year! We've really enjoyed playing Xcom in our studio and the fine folks at Feral are more than deserving of the award! :apple:

Laucian Nailor

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
UK
Well done to both you guys; I've spent many an hour with both XCom and Civ V this past year, so long may you both continue turning out quality games.

Kudos to two great Mac supporting companies. :cool:

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
+1 for Feral
and
+1 for Aspyr

As much as we all complain and whine about this or that ... the bottom line is that as folks who love games AND love the Mac, you guys are incredibly important to us, and the hard work you do constantly delivering high quality releases is just fantastic, and much appreciated.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 17, 2012
+1 for Feral
and
+1 for Aspyr

As much as we all complain and whine about this or that ... the bottom line is that as folks who love games AND love the Mac, you guys are incredibly important to us, and the hard work you do constantly delivering high quality releases is just fantastic, and much appreciated.

Well said, perfectly in fact.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I'd like to second that and tip the Aspyr hat to Feral for a great year! We've really enjoyed playing Xcom in our studio and the fine folks at Feral are more than deserving of the award! :apple:

Thanks Blair, we say the same about BioShock Infinite here at Feral, it's a great game and we really enjoyed playing it.

Here's to a great 2014 for all of Mac gaming, pretty sure it should be good fun for all :)

Edwin

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Yep, thanks! :) Looking at XCom I see there is both a Mac version $50 and an iOS version $20. I wonder how much different they are? Anyone play both?

Haven't played both, but the iOS version is the same but with worse graphics. I also don't think the expansion is out for it yet.

You can routinely find the Steam version of Xcom on sale for $10 or less.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Haven't played both, but the iOS version is the same but with worse graphics. I also don't think the expansion is out for it yet.

You can routinely find the Steam version of Xcom on sale for $10 or less.

I assume the iOS version has drastically different controls than the desktop version.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I assume the iOS version has drastically different controls than the desktop version.

It's optimized for touch, obviously, but the interface itself isn't that different since it's a turn-based game, which is perfect for touch. The Verge has a good review: http://theverge.com/2013/6/20/4447802/xcom-enemy-unknown-ipad-iphone-hands-on

I would get it on the Mac if you can, though. I don't think the expansion can come to iOS because of iOS app size limits. They had to remove a few maps from the base game as it is.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Yes, congrats to both Feral and Aspyr for winning top game awards for 2013. Very well deserved for the Mac platforms top two "alpha" game developers.

I wonder if Apple awards them something besides bragging rights. Do they get cash? iTunes gift cards? A Tesla sportscar?

vsp

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2004
Chico, Ca
I would get it on the Mac if you can, though. I don't think the expansion can come to iOS because of iOS app size limits. They had to remove a few maps from the base game as it is.

While I recommend the Mac version as well (it really is a very good game) the iOS version may be the best, cleanest translation of a game to iOS I've seen. It's a lot of fun on the iPad. Great if you travel a lot for work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.