PDA

View Full Version : Would somebody in San Francisco take a photo for me?

Doctor Q
Dec 22, 2005, 02:58 PM
I was in San Francisco last weekend. Since it was raining, I could not get a photo of a particular street that I had wanted to take. Since I will be at MacWorld only in spirit, I won't get another chance to take it in the coming months, and it's a photo I want to get for my dad, who grew up there.

Details: The photo is to be taken from the intersection of Washington Street and Jones Street, looking down Washington Street, past Taylor Street and Mason Street and Powell Street, to Stockton Street. See the attached map. You can't tell from the map, but it's a steep hill.

It's okay if there are cars driving on the lower streets, but I'd prefer that it not have cars driving on the first block down Washington Street (in the foreground) since they might block the view down the street.

Would somebody who lives there like to take this photo for me sometime when the sun is out?

Although it's supposed to be sunny (and cloudy) tomorrow and Saturday, I'm not really in a hurry. After all, beggars can't be choosers. But I'd really appreciate it if somebody in the area could take this photo for me.

vniow
Dec 22, 2005, 03:27 PM
Damn, I was going to drive down there later today but it won't be until late, plus its not exactly sunny weather here... :(

OutThere
Dec 22, 2005, 03:47 PM
I'm there right now. I swear.

Virtually :-P

Wes
Dec 22, 2005, 03:52 PM
I'm there right now. I swear.

Virtually :-P
At least turn on 3D buildings... :p

vniow
Apr 12, 2006, 12:43 PM
I was just thinking about this thread a bit ago since I'm working relatively near there at the moment so even though its been dreary here for the past few months I think I can grab a window of opportinuty in the next few days since its not supposed to rain too hard.

Let me know if you still want the pic(s) and I'll see if I can get my camera operational. :)
Damn, I'm on a roll for resurrecting older threads today...

Doctor Q
Apr 12, 2006, 12:58 PM
Yes, yes, yes, please.

I've tried not to spam the forums by mentioning this request whenever anybody else mentions San Francisco, because those nasty moderators would surely get after me, but I'd still love to have the photo.

SilentPanda
Apr 12, 2006, 01:01 PM
Yes, yes, yes, please.

I've tried not to spam the forums by mentioning this request whenever anybody else mentions San Francisco, because those nasty moderators would surely get after me, but I'd still love to have the photo.

One of these days the moderators will get what the deserve... viva la resistance! :D

vniow
Apr 12, 2006, 01:09 PM
Yes, yes, yes, please.

Excellent. My camera's really fickle about when it likes to work but I'll try to get it up sometime this week. Thankfully with the time change it stays sunny longer around here so it gives me a bit more light to work with. Plus if its on a steep hill like you say it may be quite the workout and I need the exersise. I'll post when I get them and can send you higher resolution ones if you want.

-Ani

WildCowboy
Apr 12, 2006, 03:50 PM
Yes, yes, yes, please.

I'd love to give it to you...hopefully the rain will stop before June. But then everything will be buried in fog. If you're looking for a nice blue sky you may have to wait until September or October. Ugh.

riciad
Apr 12, 2006, 04:12 PM
I'd love to give it to you...hopefully the rain will stop before June. But then everything will be buried in fog. If you're looking for a nice blue sky you may have to wait until September or October. Ugh.

Is the weather really that gloomy there at this time of year?

vniow
Apr 12, 2006, 04:15 PM

Not usually but this year, yeah. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=192374)

WildCowboy
Apr 12, 2006, 04:18 PM

We set a record with 25 rainy days in March. The record for April is 17 days and we're almost certain to break that...we're up around 10 or 11 days so far and the rain is predicted to just keep on coming.

Edit: Just saw that forecasters are saying that the rain should be wrapping up...most of it done by tonight with some lingering showers through the weekend and the possibility of spotty showers here and there from then on, but lots of clear weather ahead. This is completely different from what they were saying even yesterday, so I'll take the latest info with a grain of salt as well. You may get your photo yet, Doctor Q!

vniow
Apr 13, 2006, 12:36 PM
You may get your photo yet, Doctor Q!

Maybe not, I've been messing with my camera all morning and I still can't get it to work properly. :( Maybe I'll go out and buy a disposable one or something, this piece of crap camera of mine has never worked right since day 1. :rolleyes:

WildCowboy
Apr 13, 2006, 12:38 PM
Maybe not, I've been messing with my camera all morning and I still can't get it to work properly. :( Maybe I'll go out and buy a disposable one or something, this piece of crap camera of mine has never worked right since day 1. :rolleyes:

I'll try to get up there sometime in the next week to take the picture. But I'd like to wait for a nice blue sky...still a lot of clouds out there. But at least no rain today!

wordmunger
Apr 13, 2006, 01:10 PM
You could e-mail this guy (http://www.sanfranciscodailyphoto.com/) and ask him to take a picture. He sure takes a lot of SF photos!

riciad
Apr 13, 2006, 02:05 PM
We set a record with 25 rainy days in March. The record for April is 17 days and we're almost certain to break that...we're up around 10 or 11 days so far and the rain is predicted to just keep on coming.

And I thought it was rainy here in Ireland!

Doctor Q
Apr 13, 2006, 02:23 PM
You could e-mail this guy (http://www.sanfranciscodailyphoto.com/) and ask him to take a picture. He sure takes a lot of SF photos!And perhaps I could crash at his pad in time for the Love-in.

vniow
Apr 14, 2006, 06:04 PM
Q, you may get your photo yet. I got off early today, went to a Walgreens, picked up a cheap disposable camera and walked on up to the intersection and took a few pics, 7 I think, most from different angles. Its not a digital camera and I don't have a scanner so I'm not sure what to do about them once they develop but they're taken at least. :)

-Ani

PS, that is one helluva hill and gave me quite the workout. :D

Doctor Q
Apr 14, 2006, 08:27 PM
I'm glad you got some good exercise, even gladder that you survived the trip up and down the hill, and very grateful for your effort.

I'll meet you at midnight at Morrow Rock (halfway between us) and trade you a stack of unmarked bills wrapped in brown paper for the photos. I'll be wearing a Q hat, Q overalls, Q-shaped shoes, and a pocket protector.

maestro55
Apr 14, 2006, 08:47 PM
You could e-mail this guy (http://www.sanfranciscodailyphoto.com/) and ask him to take a picture. He sure takes a lot of SF photos!

That is one awesome website!

Q, good luck in getting your picture!

Doctor Q
Apr 29, 2006, 12:31 AM
I got the photo I wanted, courtesy of vniow. Thanks!

I'm very pleased to have it at last. Bartender, a round of Jolt Cola for everyone here!

After I double-check my facts, I'll post more about what I'm going to use it for.

Doctor Q
May 8, 2006, 11:49 PM
I asked my dad for more details today so I could tell this story correctly.

Why I wanted this photo

One day, when my dad was a boy growing up in San Francisco, he decided to ride down the big hill on Washington Street, starting at Jones Street (see map in first post above). There's a great view up there and it's a very steep hill. Sure to be loads of fun, right?

A friend of my dad's was riding on the front of the bike, sitting sidesaddle on the crossbar just behind the handlebars, while my dad sat on the bike seat and steered.

Just as they started down the hill, my dad discovered that the brakes on the bike had failed! He had no backup braking system and they were quickly going too fast to do anything but hold on. They had no pads and no helmets.

They flew down the hill, going faster and faster, and both sure they were about to die, which when you think about it wasn't an unreasonable assumption.

They sped through three intersections, at Taylor Street, Mason Street, and Powell Street. By incredible luck, no cross-traffic or cable cars hit them as they crossed. After a terrifying 3-1/2 blocks, they hit a patch of oil just past Powell, and skidded to a long stop. Somehow, they had both stayed on the bike and neither had any broken bones! In fact, they were only slightly scratched up.

My dad has always told us this story and reminded my sibilings and me that we wouldn't be here today if traffic had been different that day and if he hadn't somehow survived that ride and crash.

Last year, I took the whole family to San Francisco, we rented an SUV, and I drove us around to see the area where my dad once lived. That hill was the highlight of the trip (we were nervous just driving down that hill), and I'm going to use the shots Ani took for me to make my dad a Father's Day gift. I'm thinking of making a bicycle-shaped frame with photos in the wheel areas. Or something like that.

He's sure to like it, and that will let him tell the story to anybody else who wants to hear about it!

asherman13
May 8, 2006, 11:53 PM
I asked my dad for more details today so I could tell this story correctly.

Why I wanted this photo

One day, when my dad was a boy growing up in San Francisco, he decided to ride down the big hill on Washington Street, starting at Jones Street (see map in first post above). There's a great view up there and it's a very steep hill. Sure to be loads of fun, right?

A friend of my dad's was riding on the front of the bike, sitting sidesaddle on the crossbar just behind the handlebars, while my dad sat on the bike seat and steered.

Just as they started down the hill, my dad discovered that the brakes on the bike had failed! He had no backup braking system and they were quickly going too fast to do anything but hold on. They had no pads and no helmets.

They flew down the hill, going faster and faster, and both sure they were about to die, which when you think about it wasn't an unreasonable assumption.

They sped through three intersections, at Taylor Street, Mason Street, and Powell Street. By incredible luck, no cross-traffic or cable cars hit them as they crossed. After a terrifying 3-1/2 blocks, they hit a patch of oil just past Powell, and skidded to a long stop. Somehow, they had both stayed on the bike and neither had any broken bones! In fact, they were only slightly scratched up.

My dad has always told us this story and reminded my sibilings and me that we wouldn't be here today if traffic had been different that day and if he hadn't somehow survived that ride and crash.

Last year, I took the whole family to San Francisco, we rented an SUV, and I drove us around to see the area where my dad once lived. That hill was the highlight of the trip (we were nervous just driving down that hill), and I'm going to use the shots Ani took for me to make my dad a Father's Day gift. I'm thinking of making a bicycle-shaped frame with photos in the wheel areas. Or something like that.

He's sure to like it, and that will let him tell the story to anybody else who wants to hear about it!

That's really cool; I wish I had a clever idea like that this year for Father's Day.

Here's to hoping your dad doesn't read MR! :)

comictimes
May 9, 2006, 12:01 AM
wow.... imagining going down one of the steeper hills in San Francisco (like that one) on a bike.. without brakes just gives me chills.

Your dad and his friend are honestly two of the luckiest people EVER...

Oryan
May 9, 2006, 12:16 AM
That's quite the view, Doctor Q! And, yes, your dad was very lucky indeed.

iBlue
May 9, 2006, 11:19 AM
oh my god! When you told me that story before (after my motorcycle crash) I imagined it being a wicked hill but seeing the picture makes it even freakier. eeeeek!

What a funny idea for father's day; you've always got such creative ideas. :)