PDA

View Full Version : A Firefox for music?

MacBytes
Dec 22, 2005, 03:08 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: A Firefox for music? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051222160859)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

SiliconAddict
Dec 22, 2005, 03:19 PM
Apple's iTunes is "like Internet Explorer, if Internet Explorer could only browse Microsoft.com," Lord said. "We love Apple, and appreciate and thank them for setting the bar in terms of user experience. But it's inevitable that the market architecture changes as it matures."

Though inflammatory he does have a point. The difference being that iTunes doesn’t suck. :p

Seasought
Dec 22, 2005, 03:58 PM
With their first technical preview expected early next year, the programmers want to create music-playing software that will work naturally with the growing number of music sites and services on the Web, instead of being focused on songs on a computer's hard drive. That's where iTunes, which plugs only into Apple's own music store, falls short, Lord argues.

Sort of. One can export an iTune's file to AAC then convert that AAC file to MP3 format using Jhym, a free piece of software.

Among those giants, Microsoft's Media Player accounts for 45 percent of all PC music playing, Apple's iTunes captures 17 percent, and the rest fall off sharply from there, according to U.S. statistics from the NPD Group.

Not surprising given the comparable market share with regard to both OS X and Windows and the fact that Windows comes with Windows Media Player and OS X with iTunes.

It's built on technology that allows developers to change the look of the application with the same simple tools they use to write a Web page, and so will be extremely malleable.

How easy will this be? Saying that it will allow changes by devloper's doesn't really open up such a nice feature to the general public - in which case, if you're only catering to other developers, what's the outcry about this great new piece of software with regard to the rest of the world at large? I'm thinking it won't be that difficult to modify and if such is the case it will be a neat player to use.

winmacguy
Dec 22, 2005, 04:02 PM
Not to sure if I would be keen to back something like this (assuming that I had a spare few hundred million in a Swiss bank account :rolleyes: )Unless of course they struck up an exclusive deal with a top hardware manufacturer where by the browser was bundled with the hardware. I am not saying that the concept wont work, coming from Mozilla source code I am sure it will. It just needs to be able to generate revenue and be profiable through the licencing and sale of downloading music to be successful. I think a 'wait and see' approach on this one is best.

Seasought
Dec 22, 2005, 04:06 PM
It just needs to be able to generate revenue and be profiable through the licencing and sale of downloading music to be successful. I think a 'wait and see' approach on this one is best.

It sort of makes sense. As popular as the browser has been they have the reputation that will help push it out there and get people trying it (both devs and regular users). It could make for some really interesting players in terms of customization, look/themes and the like.

It is quite a ways away from fruition however.

Silencio
Dec 22, 2005, 05:09 PM
Apple has a huge lead on the software side of the equation. The integration between iPod, iTunes, and iTMS sets the bar pretty high for the competition to attempt to match, but so far they haven't even come close.

While I don't see Apple resting on their laurels, I do want to see some good competition out there in jukebox software and actual hardware. A monopoly in any market isn't a good thing, even if it is Apple who holds it.

Although Songbird is still a pretty vague concept, I don't think they're quite on the right track if the main thing they're talking about now is the ease of skinning it. If they develop it so it's very customizable and extensible through skins or plug-ins, someone will still have to hit on the right combination of features and connectivity to tempt more users away from iTunes, Winamp, or WMP.

I'll have to see what else Rob has to say next time we cross paths. :D

Stella
Dec 22, 2005, 06:03 PM
Sounds an excellent idea.

There is no reason why there can't be good iPod integration ( it is only a portal hard disc ) and people have already been able to add to the iPod music library, so thats not a problem.

Of course, the added bonus is that this could also work with other MP3 players ( and other devices such as cell phones ).

If this reaches the standards of Mozilla then it'll be one cracking piece of software.

Eidorian
Dec 22, 2005, 06:23 PM
I'll try any media player just for kicks. If it's any good I'll keep it. I just hope it's available for the Mac, unlike WinAmp.

mduser63
Dec 22, 2005, 06:30 PM
I'll try any media player just for kicks. If it's any good I'll keep it. I just hope it's available for the Mac, unlike WinAmp.

Mac and Linux versions of the user preview are supposed to be available a couple weeks after the Windows version.

Eidorian
Dec 22, 2005, 06:36 PM
Mac and Linux versions of the user preview are supposed to be available a couple weeks after the Windows version.Nice, I'll have to figure out what to do with my Protected AAC's then if I like it that much. I can never get JHymn to work. It never authorizes.

Fender2112
Dec 22, 2005, 09:20 PM
I think we should keep an eye on this one. I think it has real potential. Especially if it can be expanded to include video as well.

Platform
Dec 23, 2005, 02:00 AM
Nice......but the UI is iTunes :p

Fender2112
Dec 23, 2005, 07:08 AM
Nice......but the UI is iTunes :p
You have to wonder why they are so blatantly copying iTunes UI. Perhaps there is more here than meets the eye. I'm thinking iTunes 7 or 8. Perhaps Apple is a silent partner.

Just a thought.

Platform
Dec 23, 2005, 10:40 PM
You have to wonder why they are so blatantly copying iTunes UI. Perhaps there is more here than meets the eye. I'm thinking iTunes 7 or 8. Perhaps Apple is a silent partner.

Just a thought.

Not a bad one either :cool: