Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xjerky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
I've installed Windows 8.1 on my Late 2010 Mac Mini (which has the NVIDIA 300m GPU) in pure EFI/GPT mode (no Bootcamp). Everything works after I install Bootcamp drivers (including sound), until Windows Update attempts to install the NVIDIA drivers. Once that happens, I end up in an endless reboot loop. So, I've read threads here saying that enabling I/O address space on the Display Controller and enabling VGA on the Display Controller's subordinate bus should do the trick, but what that does seem to prevent the endless reboot loop, I just get a black screen and that's it.

This is my EFI shell output:
shell>pci -i -b
00 00 17 00 ==> Bridge Device - PCI/PCI bridge
Vendor 10DE DEvice 0D76 Prog Interface 0
00 05 00 00 ==> Display Controller - VGA/8514 controller
Vendor 10DE Device 08A4 Prog Interface 0

shell> pci -i 00 17 00 -b
(Bus Numbers) Primary(18) Secondary(19) Subordinate(1A)
-----------------------------------------------------
00 05 05

(This is how I figure out that 00 17 00 is the bus that the Device Controller is attached to - please correct me if I'm wrong).

So, I wrote a short EFI shell script to set the proper registers:

echo "Setting Registers"
mm 05000004 1 ;PCI :7
mm 0017003E 1 ;PCI :8
echo "Booting Windows"
pause
fs0:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

I put the pause command so I can hit 'q' to verify that my registers are set properly, and they appear to be. Hitting Enter continues the boot process.

But, this fails whenever I use the NVDIA drivers (I also tried the Bootcamp-supplied NVDIA drivers, to no avail). I then have to boot into Safe Mode and uninstall the drivers to be able to boot into Windows again.

I'm getting tired of running Windows 8.1 with non-accelerated video, though....any idea why enabling the VGA BIOS isn't fixing the problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.