Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just hours after Apple began taking orders for the new Mac Pro with shipping estimates of "by December 30" for stock configurations, availability has already slipped significantly with new orders currently being quoted shipping in February.

mac_pro_feb14_ship.jpg
The rapid move to push shipping off by over a month indicates that Apple has indeed been struggling to have any Mac Pro units at all ready to ship in order to meet its previously announced launch timeframe. Reports had indicated that Intel's chips are in short supply and may have been one of the major bottlenecks for Mac Pro production, but with an all-new design, high-end technology throughout, and Apple shifting assembly to the United States, there are any number of areas where Apple may be experiencing production constraints.

Update: Apple issued a brief statement to Forbes citing "great" demand for the new Mac Pro.
"Demand for the all new Mac Pro is great and it will take time before supply catches up with demand," an Apple spokesman said today.
Some customers with build-to-order configurations are even seeing shipping estimates of March.

Article Link: Shipping Estimates for Mac Pro Online Orders Slip to February 2014

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
This just shows how little manufacturing there is in their USA plant right? It's such a low volume product, and they're already 2 months out.

tarproductions

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
San Diego, CA
Reports had indicated that Intel's chips are in short supply and may have been one of the major bottlenecks for Mac Pro production, but with an all-new design, high-end technology throughout, and Apple shifting assembly to the United States, there are any number of areas where Apple may be experiencing production constraints.

Article Link: Shipping Estimates for Mac Pro Online Orders Slip to February 2014

Could be that, or could be the fact that this is the first real update to a Pro machine in 3 years...

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Someone get a tent and wait by the Apple store. It will cause a chain reaction that will cause massive sales and Apple will be forced to refresh the product more frequently and bring back the desktop to the masses again.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
That's what happens when you have form over function!

But rest easy new Mac Pro owners, all your external components that you now need, to have any kind of real storage, will ship immediately. :D

-Kevin

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
Wow, so either there was a lot of pent-up demand for Mac Pros or those people in Texas can't build them very fast. :)

fhenry

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
they probably underestimated the demand.... i hope it will not slip to march !

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Glad I ordered mine before it slipped to February. My estimated ship date is January but that could mean January 31st of course. Ah well, it's progress so I'm not complaining. Just have to hope that my ancient Mac Pro 1,1 lasts a little longer...

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
That was expected

Is it because American workers aren't prepared to put in the long hours for low wages, compared to their Asian counterparts?

Or is it just that they lack the small, nimble fingers required for precision assembly of high-tech electronics?

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Actually relieved

It's a relief that it won't be available for 2 months...
I am seriously doubting this machine is worth the upgrade from my 12-core...
My geek bench tests show around 23000. The new 6-core is barely faster than a top iMac. It's a joke.
The numbers don't add up. To match the performance of my old Mac Pro I need to spend $8000 tax included.
I can probably get $3500 or so for all the stuff I already have on eBay but I still have to shell out $4500 more for just a little bit more performance and no way to expand internally.
Doesn't seem like the right move.
After you start adding peripherals and the monitor and stuff, you will end up with a disgusting web of cables on your desk.
I have 6 HD's incide My Mac and without any cables or power supplies.
I'm glad it sold out. I won't be getting one any time soon...

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Excellent. Glad to see it is selling. The Final Cut and Logic updates have been great.

Aperture is surely next, and hopefully iWork gets fixed soon.

Apple needs to know the mac and it's related apps are used by many of us for our jobs.

Parker Photo

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
Looks like my 2+ year wait is for nothing. Leaning towards a new iMac instead. Cost is not the issue. Timing is. I need the tax break this year to lower my tax bracket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.