Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I wont do it now since I have AppleCare through December 2014, but I certainly will before that's up.

But what do you think? Does it seem like something is up? Plus I use this laptop 95% of the time as a desktop replacement, hooked up to a monitor and stationary so that's why I'm also not in a rush.

But I'm reading on AppleSupport forums a buncha people are experiencing similar stats. Even those with the 2012 model.

I also just don't want to be without my computer for long at the moment..

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
AppleCare extended support does not cover replacement of the battery, unless it can be shown to be a defect in materials or workmanship. That is not always allowable after the first 12 months have passed.

From your AppleCare agreement (under section 4. What is not covered?) :
Consumable parts, such as batteries, except in respect of battery coverage under APP for iPod or unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials and workmanship;
However, 243 charge cycles might be a good possibility - I suggest that you find some free time to find out for sure - soon...

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Take it in. Least they can do is say no. And even then, try another Apple store...

I brought in a 2 and a half year old battery from my 17" Macbook Pro that was beginning to bulge and cause my laptop not to sit flat. I did not have apple care. They gave me a brand new battery on the spot even though it was out of warranty. Way to go apple :D

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
243 cycles doesn't mean anything if you don't tell us how old this laptop is, although 243/75 seems low (health). I am at 202/92/14months.

chadua

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
For some reason I thought the standard for their batteries was to be at 80% after 300 charge cycles.
So if it were me I'd bring it in before 300 charge cycles. Also using it plugged in all the time isn't good for the battery. (I looked and this was the old standard for their computers when they had removable batteries. my 2010 macbook air was supposed to be "The built-in battery of the MacBook Air is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at up to 750 full charge and discharge cycles." The current model says "up to 1000." http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html)

I'm at 864 charge cycles and still at 84% of original.

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
For some reason I thought the standard for their batteries was to be at 80% after 300 charge cycles.

300 cycles was a few years ago. The new batteries should last a lot longer, and I think the change was much more than 2 years ago.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
AppleCare extended support does not cover replacement of the battery, unless it can be shown to be a defect in materials or workmanship. That is not always allowable after the first 12 months have passed.

From your AppleCare agreement (under section 4. What is not covered?) :

However, 243 charge cycles might be a good possibility - I suggest that you find some free time to find out for sure - soon...

The definition of a coverable failed battery for app (current models) is:

- Machine is under APP
- Less than 1000 cycles
- Less than 80% charge capacity

So he would be entitled to a new battery under APP.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I wont do it now since I have AppleCare through December 2014, but I certainly will before that's up.

Bad strategy! IIRC the threshold for normal wear-and-tear is 300 cycles. It certainly wasn't 1000 cycles for my 2010 MBP when its battery reported issues after about two years, but maybe Gnasher, Doggfather and Brian Y are correct that current-models benefit from more warrantied cycles than that machine did.

In any case, take that thing in straightaway (or call AppleCare) and see what Apple will do for you... right now soonest.

Using it as a desktop replacement 95% of the time might be part of the problem. The type of batteries used in Macs prefer to be exercised every once in a while. Use it off the charger occasionally.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
To correct some misinformation posted in this thread, read the BATTERY LIFESPAN and the BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED sections of the Apple Notebook Battery FAQ, linked below. For the OP's MBA, the threshold is 1000 cycles. The same is true for all Apple notebooks from Late 2010 and later.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
I've been an ACMT since 2008 (at an Apple store and AASP) so I know what I am talking about when it comes to this kind of thing.

If the battery has a full charge capacity of less than 80%, has less than 1000 cycles (for integrated batteries), it will fail the battery diagnostic and will be covered as a defective component under the limited warranty and APP. If a tech tells you otherwise, he/she is wrong.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I've been an ACMT since 2008 (at an Apple store and AASP) so I know what I am talking about when it comes to this kind of thing.

If the battery has a full charge capacity of less than 80%, has less than 1000 cycles (for integrated batteries), it will fail the battery diagnostic and will be covered as a defective component under the limited warranty and APP. If a tech tells you otherwise, he/she is wrong.

Thanks that's what I thought

Marv89

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
I was at 80% after 1 year and 1 month (250 cycles or so) and didn't have apple care.
Your battery seems to have the same problem, and is obviously defect.

I bought it in Germany, but live in Sweden currently. They said I'd have to go to the german apple store to get a repair (obviously the battery was defect and it was not my fault, so the argument "no warranty on the battery" wasn't valid).
But when I said that I will only be in germany over christmas, they took it and after an hour I had a new battery without paying a cent (or swedish crown in that case ;) )

----------

Funny thing: Mine didn't fail the battery diagnostic, even though 80% after 250cyles (which is not ok, as apple says 80% after 1000 cycles). They repaired it anyway, as it was clearly broken.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

But what do you think? Does it seem like something is up? Plus I use this laptop 95% of the time as a desktop replacement, hooked up to a monitor and stationary so that's why I'm also not in a rush.

But I'm reading on AppleSupport forums a buncha people are experiencing similar stats. Even those with the 2012 model.

I also just don't want to be without my computer for long at the moment..
Get it taken care of soon. And depending on the Apple Store you go to, a battery replacement might not take that long.

Just make sure your system is backed up (which it should be anyway) before you bring it in.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
brought it in, covered under warranty.

they had to order the part though, so i'll drop the laptop off when they get it.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Related question, should I consider my MBP to have an above-average battery? It's sitting at 400 cycles and still 90% health.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
It is less likely to be the battery but rather the way it has been used/charged.
Quite often plugged in, but I do use it unplugged for extended periods, until reserve is reached, when I can't easily find a plug...

gochi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2011
ive gotten service battery myself with only 500 cycles or so, no idea why.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I'm at 88% capacity with 122 cycles in 18 months, is that normal and, if not, can I do anything to improve it without taking it in?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm at 88% capacity with 122 cycles in 18 months, is that normal and, if not, can I do anything to improve it without taking it in?

Yes, it's normal, and no, you can't improve battery health once it has depleted. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Yes, it's normal, and no, you can't improve battery health once it has depleted. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.

Thanks for the link, very informative! I've almost always been plugged in but recently have been unplugging to use the battery a bit, good to see that that was also recommended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.