Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kumquat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
I've been accessing my headless G5 through my Mac Mini's screen using screen sharing as they're both hardwired to my router. After a huge fan whirring event while I was on the phone with Apple support trying to resolve a completely unrelated problem on my Mini, the G5 is no longer behaving normally. When I start it up, I get the totally normal blue login screen and am able to do so, but then it gives me this smear of white/black/other lines beneath which I can barely see the menus and it's impossible to use the computer. What's going on? Why is the login screen normal? How do I resolve this?

G5_Screen_Sharing_Picture_December_20_2013_9.png

kumquat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
can you plug a screen directly into the G5 temporarily - isolate screen sharing app issues

I apologize for the ridiculous delay.

Yes, it functions as normal when plugged directly into the monitor. And it functions as normal during the login. As the login is being processed it turns into that staticky mess you see in the original post.

Screen sharing functions normally with my MacBook, also, older, running Leopard. And was working fine with the G5 for more than a year before this began.

Any ideas what might be causing it or how to get around it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.