Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parents and computers

• is your child better with computers.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • can the hapster work the computer better than you

• whats a computer?

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No i'm very good with computer despite my old age

• Total voters

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
hehe oh god lol ok so my dad was trying to setup an airport (lol I'm 14 and I fix what he screws up lmao) what he did was changed the ip and turned DHCP off. I tried doing the software reset but I needed the ip. anyone know a hardware reset without having to mess with software :)

also any of you happen to know how to hook an airport up to an ASANTE cable/dsl router :)

BillGates

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2002
Minnesota
The reset is between the LAN port and the Power. Its a small hole. Use a paper clip to reset it. Confirm this by reading your manual.

Attach the LAN port to your computer or ethernet hub.

Attach the WAN port to your DSL/Cable router.

If the AirPort does not pick up the DHCP information automatically you will need to use the Airport Admin software to specify the IP address of the DSL/Cable router.

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
lol i'm smart but not that smart hehe I tried using the airport admin but I need the ip and I know the airport setup says I need to use the admin ut but nothing tells me how to get he ip and its not the default ip hehe I get the rest :)

BillGates

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2002
Minnesota
Reset the AirPort with a paper clip. You should then be able to communicate with the Airport using the Admin software. If you have a new version 2 Airport and your using an older Mac with AirPort software preinstalled the software on your computer is probably too old. Reinstall the AirPort software from the CD that came with the AirPort.

Use the TCP/IP control panel to get the DHCP Client i.d. from the Mac currently attached to your router. You may need to enter that as the DHCP client i.d. in your AirPort using the AirPort Admin tool if it doesn't autodetect the Asante DHCP.

I suggest you attach the Mac with the Admin software directly to the AirPort LAN port via ethernet. Don't try to Administer the AirPort with wireless networking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.