Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
Ever since I installed OS X Mavericks it's been nearly impossible to get anything done. Every time I try to copy a file or install a program I'm assaulted with error messages and failed operations, mostly telling me in one way or another that I don't have the 'rights' to install software on my own computer. I don't know what the problem is.... I've tried 'repairing permissions' and even the 'deep-clean' method via booting into safe mode and running some terminal command....

Anybody else experiencing a similar situation or found a way to once and for all fix your permissions issues??

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Ever since I installed OS X Mavericks it's been nearly impossible to get anything done. Every time I try to copy a file or install a program I'm assaulted with error messages and failed operations, mostly telling me in one way or another that I don't have the 'rights' to install software on my own computer. I don't know what the problem is.... I've tried 'repairing permissions' and even the 'deep-clean' method via booting into safe mode and running some terminal command....

Anybody else experiencing a similar situation or found a way to once and for all fix your permissions issues??
The only solution available is retreat back to mountain lion.Mavericks is the buggest most sloppy OS apple has release actually worst than Lion 10.7.0 much worse every day a new bug come to surface.Definetely not recommended if you work just a little with your computer.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Your app install issues might be related to the Gatekeeper function in Mavs. Give this a read and look at the section about installing apps from outside the App Store. You can change the settings in the System Pref pane below.

8pfzDTf.png

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
The first reply to this thread is inaccurate and as such should be ignored by the OP.

Please do post your error messages/console log. I suspect Weaselboy has the answer but can't be sure with the information posted.

Gochugogi

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Sandwich Isles
I suffered the same problem in Oct after the 10.9 upgrade. I changed some options in the sharing and permissions and everything has been fine since then.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
Are you using Admin or Standard account?

Apologies for the belated reply - I'm the only person who uses my machine so I'd assume (possibly wrongly) that it's an admin account....?? How would I tell? If I want total control of my computer should I be using an admin account by default??

UPDATE I just checked and I am indeed set as an administrator.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Apologies for the belated reply - I'm the only person who uses my machine so I'd assume (possibly wrongly) that it's an admin account....?? How would I tell? If I want total control of my computer should I be using an admin account by default??

UPDATE I just checked and I am indeed set as an administrator.

The boot into Recovery mode and when in Recovery mode run Disk Utility and fix the drive and permissions. If that doesn't help consider a reinstall.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
The boot into Recovery mode and when in Recovery mode run Disk Utility and fix the drive and permissions. If that doesn't help consider a reinstall.
While it does reset other permissions, Disk Utility will not reset the home folder permissions. To do this, reboot to the Recovery HD partition by holding down Command-R at startup, and then choose the Terminal from the Utilities menu. Type "resetpassword" (all one word, don't worry you will not actually reset the password) and in the resulting utility select the hard drive, select your account, and click the Reset button at the bottom of the window where it says "Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs."

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
Thanks guys - I reset my permissions from the recovery mode, but it still didn't fix a particular issue I'm having. It might not be the permissions, I guess, but one interesting thing I did notice whilst doing it was that in the section to choose which user to reset permissions for (after typing that 'resetpassword' thing), I noticed that two options were available: my own account username, and underneath another one called 'Administrator (Root)'. Which is weird because under my account profile settings in the system preferences menu it says that my account (the only one on my Mac) IS the Administrator.....

Do you guys think maybe I need to somehow give myself root access??

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013

comments removed

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.