Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
So I'm getting iPad Air for my parents and need to protect it. As always, the biggest problem with a mobile device is the painstaking search for the right protective accessories. I'm looking for something that is not too expensive (no +$60 cases), that does not stain easily, that protects the screen (I do plan on installing a clear screen protector as well) but does not add too much bulk and does not get in the way. My parents read in bed a lot so that needs to be considered too.

I've heard good things about origami cases such as the RooCASE and Incipio's LGND (although Amazon's reviews suggest that this case might have durability issues). However, I have two concerns about origami cases. Firstly, would the screen cover part be on the way when holding the iPad. Secondly, while origami cases such as the RooCASE do work in portrait mode, I wonder how stable they would be when placed on top of one's chest (or actually the bed cover) when reading in bed.

These concerns got me thinking about separate solutions such as getting a light TPU case and a Smart Cover. This wouldn't be as elegant a solution as an origami case but my parents would have the option of taking the smart cover off. However, a smart cover isn't as versatile as an origami case.

I know what some of you are thinking... Why don't I just go in to Best Buy or whatever and try out cases. Unfortunately I live in a European country where there are usually just two types of Belkin cases for iPads and that's it. In other words, I have to buy the accessories 'blind'.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
I go with the absolute minimum bulk and weight as i prefer that on the air. So i go with ghost arumour skin on back, and sleeve.

This way you get the absolute minimal weight and bulk when using and protection when travelling.

Sure i cant prop it up without a stand but i would rather have the benefits of a slimmer and lighter device 24/7 than a stand i rarely use.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I have a few cases (for my iPad 3), but the idea should be the same. When I want a minimal bulk I use the Smart Cover and the Incipio Smart Feather, which locks the Smart Cover onto the iPad. About the thinnest combination I have.

I also have a Moshi Versacover. Nice cover, but a limited (and kind of unusual) selection of colors.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
I have a few cases (for my iPad 3), but the idea should be the same. When I want a minimal bulk I use the Smart Cover and the Incipio Smart Feather, which locks the Smart Cover onto the iPad. About the thinnest combination I have.

I also have a Moshi Versacover. Nice cover, but a limited (and kind of unusual) selection of colors.

Ive been using the air with the smart cover on and off for the past week and honestly, as slim as the smart cover is, it still adds noticable bulk and weight to the air and its not nearly as comfortable to use with it on as off. Maybe its just me, but with the smart cover off, I can actually grab and use the air a lot easier and less strain in one hand, and thumb typing on it with split board just feels so much better. One wouldnt think that a smart cover would make a difference but for me it does.

I decided today that im keeping my air, simply cause using this thing barebones, with a skin only on the back feels incredible. I just cant give up this big screen. Thats why im doing this and going the sleeve route over the smart cover, plus sleeves are cheaper. You get the absolute minimum weight and max feel and comfort when using, and max protection when travelling.

The ONLY disadvantage I see using a sleeve over a case is that, when I use the air, the sleeve will have to be pocketed or sit on a table or something when im not home, whereas a case is attached at all times. But thats not a big deal to me, ill take the luxury of having minimim weight and bulk over it anyday. Its just something ill have to get used to thats all.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.