Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaranson

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2013
what is the best HDMI adapter for MacBook Air(2013)?

I bought two cheap ones... one $9 from Amazon.com(sold and shipped directly from Amazon.com, LLC, not third-party seller who are crooks 99% of the time) The other one is the RocketFish one from Best Buy store.

The one from Best Buy died after three days. The cheaper one from Amazon.com didn't work.(Amazon issued a refund before I even dropped it off at UPS)

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I have the Rocketfish cable and it has been fine. However I don't use it very often. Most of the time my MBA is connected to an ancient Apple Cinema Display with a DVI adaptor.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I use a hdmi-to-minidisplay cable at home. Since I only connect it to a macbook, I saw no point in getting a HDMI cable and a separate adaptor.

I also have a moshi hdmi/dvi-minidisplay adaptor for work. Been working well so far.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
what is the best HDMI adapter for MacBook Air(2013)?

I bought two cheap ones... one $9 from Amazon.com(sold and shipped directly from Amazon.com, LLC, not third-party seller who are crooks 99% of the time) The other one is the RocketFish one from Best Buy store.

The one from Best Buy died after three days. The cheaper one from Amazon.com didn't work.(Amazon issued a refund before I even dropped it off at UPS)

Apple TV - no comparison. Get the Refurb for $75.

With that MacBook Air, you can use AirPlay Mirroring & it will behave just like a directly connected display, via wi-fi.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
it will behave just like a directly connected display, via wi-fi.

Just like a directly connected display that lags behind whatever you do. Don't get me wrong, I have an 11" MBA and an Apple TV and Airplay is very cool. But it's very different from a direct connection, even when using gigabit ethernet instead of wifi. It's great for sending a copy of your screen to the TV, but the latency is pretty annoying if you try to use it interactively.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Just like a directly connected display that lags behind whatever you do. Don't get me wrong, I have an 11" MBA and an Apple TV and Airplay is very cool. But it's very different from a direct connection, even when using gigabit ethernet instead of wifi. It's great for sending a copy of your screen to the TV, but the latency is pretty annoying if you try to use it interactively.

Never had an Apple TV (waiting for the new hardware) but the lag is why I returned the Chromecast I bought and got a Roku for Netflix and Amazon Prime Instant Video. The Chromecast is freaking useless as it's much easier and nicer to stream via a Roku Streaming Stick (only $15 dollars more than the Chromecast).

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I don't have any issue with "lag" when using the Apple TV to watch movies in my iTunes library. And it really isn't too bad for Airplay mirroring either, considering what it is.

I was just pointing out that Airplay isn't the same thing as using a directly connected screen for general computing tasks (not media viewing).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.