PDA

View Full Version : Give Mac Explorer to the people

MacBytes
Dec 23, 2005, 01:55 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Give Mac Explorer to the people (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051223145558)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

rdowns
Dec 23, 2005, 01:58 PM
The people have spoken- we don't want it.

mkrishnan
Dec 23, 2005, 02:20 PM
Internet Explorer is like polio... When it slips to almost undetectable levels in the population, you rejoice. You don't send samples of the virus to people to make sure they haven't forgotten about it.

Making ActiveX more readily available is exactly what shouldn't happen as well. I understand the motivation behind the people making the plugin for Firefox, but lack of ActiveX support is probably the best thing about Firefox.

yellow
Dec 23, 2005, 02:46 PM
Internet Explorer is like polio...

That's about the LAST comparison that I would have expected to read, but it works for me.

SummerBreeze
Dec 23, 2005, 02:46 PM
It makes sense that an open information network should have open source standards, but I don't think that making ie:mac open source is the way to go. Firefox and Camino do this perfectly, and I've yet to encounter a problem. I don't know why I would want to encourage web developer's to keep using activex, because this is part of what spawned so many spyware and malware problems. I say, let ie die. Having more open-source browser marketshare would do more to fix the problem of ie only websites that don't follow standards, and that's what we all want.

mkrishnan
Dec 23, 2005, 02:57 PM
That's about the LAST comparison that I would have expected to read, but it works for me.

*releases soundbyte to the media, bows* :D

dubbz
Dec 23, 2005, 03:04 PM
f you've got a Macintosh computer running Mac OS X and you like to use Microsoft's Internet Explorer for browsing the web, then I'm afraid I've got some bad news for you.

Like to use? :confused: Even if you don't have to? :confused: But... why? :confused:

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

mkrishnan
Dec 23, 2005, 03:07 PM
f you've got a Macintosh computer running Mac OS X and you like to use Microsoft's Internet Explorer for browsing the web, then I'm afraid I've got some bad news for you.

Oh, that. There was a clerical error involved in that. That sentence was supposed to be immediately followed by this picture:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1576441210.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

In context, I'm sure you'll agree it makes much more sense. :D

Peace
Dec 23, 2005, 03:07 PM
It's a shame Apple can't get Safari to be as good as Firefox..As for Explorer for Mac? blah.Who cares.

dornoforpyros
Dec 23, 2005, 03:09 PM
My god, I can't believe some one would view the death of IE for mac as a bad thing. Seriosly, it suxs, it's dead, let's move on

SiliconAddict
Dec 23, 2005, 05:07 PM
The people have spoken- we don't want it.

But we need it....get a clue people.

redAPPLE
Dec 23, 2005, 05:07 PM
It's a shame Apple can't get Safari to be as good as Firefox..As for Explorer for Mac? blah.Who cares.

i keep asking myself this more often nowadays. is there a scientific test, that states that firefox is better than safari?

better in what sense? i use safari on my mac. i use firefox (as much as possible) when i really have to use pcs.

OutThere
Dec 23, 2005, 05:11 PM

It's def necessary for survival. I don't think that I could live without it. 'twould be unpossible.

thequicksilver
Dec 23, 2005, 05:24 PM
I think his heart is in the right place, but the logic is flawed. He says that Microsoft-only features of the internet are causing the 'net to be closed to non-Microsoft browsers, so Mac IE should be made open-source.

Problem: Microsoft can change these standards at any time (as he himself acknowledges) instantly nullifying any gains making Mac IE open-source might obtain.

Promoting open web standards is the way forward, not this. I'm finding fewer and fewer websites that don't work with my browser of choice (Camino), and with the growth of Mozilla-based browsers (especially Firefox) this has increased market awareness of the "non Microsoft way". Suddenly not catering for 10-15% of the internet's active users is a big thing, as opposed to the 2-3% it was two or three years ago. Things are gradually changing.

Eric5h5
Dec 23, 2005, 05:35 PM
It's def necessary for survival. I don't think that I could live without it. 'twould be unpossible.

I've never used it. Banking, shopping, etc....every site that I visit works with Safari. The worst that happens is that occasionally the graphics are messed up a bit. In fact IE is not even installed on my system.

--Eric

Photorun
Dec 23, 2005, 05:39 PM

Ahhh SA the Microsuck apologist speaks, I was wondering how long you were going to take to post. Not sure what you're doing around these parts, there's plenty of Microsoft circle jerk forums out there, why don't you go find one and stay there.

Verto
Dec 23, 2005, 05:49 PM
Ahhh SA the Microsuck apologist speaks, I was wondering how long you were going to take to post. Not sure what you're doing around these parts, there's plenty of Microsoft circle jerk forums out there, why don't you go find one and stay there.

1.) People who write things like "Microsuck" are generally overzealous idiots, as this post shows.

2.) It was a valid point, that IE is the only browser that will work properly on many websites.

Peterkro
Dec 23, 2005, 05:51 PM
Or to put it another way a few websites don't work unless with IE.

iMeowbot
Dec 23, 2005, 06:22 PM
Microsoft won't be giving away the Mac IE source any time soon. The useful parts are still used inside Office.

macFanDave
Dec 23, 2005, 06:23 PM
If you've got a Macintosh computer running Mac OS X and you like to use Microsoft's Internet Explorer for browsing the web, then I'm afraid I've got some bad news for you.

to test this sentence. First, all Mac OS X users are using Macintosh computers, so the conditional part of this sentence is:

if(runningMacOSX == YES && likesIE == YES){
. . .
}

The compiler was smart enough to say, "The code inside the braces is never reached." I wonder why the author wasn't.

macFanDave
Dec 23, 2005, 06:25 PM
Microsoft won't be giving away the Mac IE source any time soon. The useful parts are still used inside Office.

That's a good excuse, but my favorite explanation is that they don't want to reveal how shoddy their coding practices are.

pourhadi
Dec 23, 2005, 08:46 PM
2.) It was a valid point, that IE is the only browser that will work properly on many websites.

IE on Windows, maybe, but not IE on the Mac.

Believe it or not, they are two different things and operate very differently. A lot of sites work properly on Windows IE but terribly on IE:Mac. You're better off with Firefox on the Mac than you are with IE.

mkrishnan
Dec 23, 2005, 08:50 PM
IE on Windows, maybe, but not IE on the Mac.

Yes, my understanding is that IE on Macs supports a very, very, very limited subset of ActiveX, giving it very occasional compatibility with ActiveX sites where the other browsers fail. Also sometimes it seems that Java functions differently in it. The summer after I first got my Mac, circa 10.3.6, there was a site that had a Java chat session that only worked in MSIE/Mac, even though Safari and FF were using the same Java engine, as far as I could tell. Strangeness. But then it worked fine with later versions of Safari and FF. And on PCs it worked on FF. Who knows?

Clix Pix
Dec 23, 2005, 08:58 PM
The last thing I would want to put on my iMac or my PB is....[shudder] IE. Ugh! If there is some website that I cannot access or some function that I cannot perform with my Mac that is available only with Windoze and IE, fine, I'll go fire up the ole PC (but only if I have plenty of time to first download the latest virus definitions and update the firewall program before I can do anything else).... Safari has served me very well and I intend to keep that as my only browser in here. I did use Firefox in the Windows machine to try and prevent some of the problems which are inherent in Windoze, but don't feel a real need or desire to install that software on the Mac.

IE for the Mac? I doubt that too many of us will miss it!

OTB

ZildjianKX
Dec 24, 2005, 03:28 AM
I can't believe how much attention this has gotten...

IE for mac has really been dead for years... now it's just official.

On the plus side, hopefully MSIE will work through WINE on the intel macs.

Seasought
Dec 24, 2005, 03:51 AM
If the company really wants to show that it has changed its approach to business it could take the radical step of placing the source code for the Mac version of IE into the hands of users.

I don't think this would happen for fear of someone turning it into a product that isn't security-hole-ridden and works.

Just let the poor thing die already! :D

macnulty
Dec 24, 2005, 07:32 AM
This actually could not be happening at a better time. As Apple market share grows and more consumers realize the closed characteristics of IE, hopefully they will take their complaints to the offending websites. That has to happen to these websites for change to occur. Keep using IE if you want nothing to change.

Tough love, the sooner IE goes away, the closer we get to truely a compliant and open internet.

mjstew33
Dec 24, 2005, 07:42 AM
My school uses IE on all of our Macs. Since they just switched to OS X, they might just have to start using Safari.

I hate Internet Explorer.

*goes into applications folder and deletes*

beige matchbox
Dec 24, 2005, 08:49 AM
I think i've only ever used IE for mac maybe a couple of dozen times, for me at least theres always been a better browser :rolleyes: (going back to OS8 when i got a proper net connection)

The few times i did use it was to access sites that only worked in IE, but these days sites like that, that i visit, are becoming very rare :eek:

Yvan256
Dec 24, 2005, 09:05 AM
Making ActiveX more readily available is exactly what shouldn't happen as well. I understand the motivation behind the people making the plugin for Firefox, but lack of ActiveX support is probably the best thing about Firefox.

Can't agree more on that! It's exactly like if the Linux developers tried hard to make Linux compatible with all the Windows viruses out there.

Like you say, I understand their motivation, but making ActiveX available for FireFox will only give further backing for those ActiveX developers who should be using something else instead (Java, Javascript/DHTML, Flash, Shockwave... anything but ActiveX!)

Yvan256
Dec 24, 2005, 09:06 AM

Depends on taste I guess. I prefer Safari over FireFox.

(FireFox looks/feels too Windozy/Linuxy somehow).

Yvan256
Dec 24, 2005, 09:08 AM

We don't need it. Seriously, I haven't run IE on either of my Macs since I bought them. In fact, I don't even know if it's installed or not.

If you have websites who need IE, they almost need ActiveX too, which doesn't exists on OS X anyway, making the Mac version of IE useless for most "IE-only" websites.

Websites who require IE are closing themselves from all the Mac and open-source users (Linux, FreeBSD, etc) and from a good chunk of Windows users too (people who won't run IE for security reasons).

Yvan256
Dec 24, 2005, 09:13 AM
I've never used it. Banking, shopping, etc....every site that I visit works with Safari. The worst that happens is that occasionally the graphics are messed up a bit. In fact IE is not even installed on my system.

--Eric

Even worst if you ask me - I'm having trouble designing with web standards, because my designs show up fine on Safari, FireFox and Opera, but are completely twisted on IE (which I only run on my old ThinkPad to test websites since most people are still Windows+IE surfers).

Yvan256
Dec 24, 2005, 09:18 AM

It may be a valid point, but the logic about that is upside-down.

It's not that "IE is the only browser that will work properly on many websites", it's that "many websites are so badly coded that they only run on IE and its proprietary codes".

It's hard to push standards when people still think "other browsers are broken because website X displays incorrectly but is ok with IE". The other browsers are fine, it's IE and all those websites that are broken.

Yvan256
Dec 24, 2005, 09:21 AM
On the plus side, hopefully MSIE will work through WINE on the intel macs.

Is there really that many of you (mac users) who really want to continue on using Microsoft software? Why did you get a Mac at all? :confused:

That's like wishing the Nintendo Revolution will be able to run Xbox and PS2 games... :rolleyes:

Dec 24, 2005, 06:12 PM
I was just wondering, what sites do SiliconAddict & Verto go to? I haven't used Internet Explorer in well over a year. All the sites I go to work perfectly fine on Safari and the very rare occation that a site doesn't work Firefox manages perfectly fine. I used to rely on Internet Explorer to view these sites (once a year, usually), but now Firefox has taken it's place & it will not be missed. Maybe if Windows users try to be more adventurous and see what other browsers are out there they might convert to Firefox or other browsers out there. But they don't due to convenience of Internet Explorer already pre-installed & lack of knowledge about other browsers.

sjk
Dec 25, 2005, 04:49 PM
Depends on taste I guess. I prefer Safari over FireFox.

(FireFox looks/feels too Windozy/Linuxy somehow).Yep, thrice.

lind0834
Dec 26, 2005, 10:04 PM
That's a good excuse, but my favorite explanation is that they don't want to reveal how shoddy their coding practices are.

What? Shoddy coding practices? Never.. oh, wait.

We Are Morons: a quick look at the Win2k source (http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/2/15/71552/7795)

technicolor
Dec 26, 2005, 11:33 PM
Ive been to several sites that have required me to have to open IE. Since I have completely given up on firefox as viable browser since I cant seem to get it open multimedia content, and Safari is blah. If IE had tabs it would be my main browser.

PCMacUser
Dec 27, 2005, 03:08 AM
Ive been to several sites that have required me to have to open IE. Since I have completely given up on firefox as viable browser since I cant seem to get it open multimedia content, and Safari is blah. If IE had tabs it would be my main browser.
Hmm, your firefox problem sounds strange. I don't have any trouble using it to open multimedia content. Are you sure you're not using any plugins that may be interfering with it? I've found in the past that on my Mac, the adblocker plugin can stop Flash content from working (this isn't an issue on my PC).

technicolor
Dec 27, 2005, 12:57 PM
Hmm, your firefox problem sounds strange. I don't have any trouble using it to open multimedia content. Are you sure you're not using any plugins that may be interfering with it? I've found in the past that on my Mac, the adblocker plugin can stop Flash content from working (this isn't an issue on my PC).
I do have adblocker installed. I am going to to take it off and see how that works...thanks for that tip. Because flash content wont load. It also wont load embedded streaming content either...:mad: :( :confused:

mkrishnan
Dec 27, 2005, 12:59 PM
I do have adblocker installed. I am going to to take it off and see how that works...thanks for that tip. Because flash content wont load. It also wont load embedded streaming content either...:mad: :( :confused:

Something like this (http://www.floppymoose.com/) or another solution that does this via custom .css files may be a better solution, although Adblock can be customized for all of that.

Gordy
Dec 27, 2005, 03:37 PM

The latest version of adblock fixes this I believe :)