PDA

View Full Version : Deaf girl hears Jingle Bells for the first time

MacBytes
Dec 23, 2005, 01:58 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Deaf girl hears Jingle Bells for the first time (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051223145848)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Lacero
Dec 23, 2005, 02:01 PM
I am so happy for her and her family.

My best wishes to continued success with her implants and I pray she leads a healthy and fruitful life with her new hearing. Wdlove, where are you?

I also pray she does not discover Britney Spears or Ashlee Simpson. :p

Here's to the Crazy Ones http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35452 (http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/movies/think-different.mov)

greatdevourer
Dec 23, 2005, 02:12 PM
W00t! :D

EDIT: This reminds me of one of the switch stories on the Apple site. I can't remember the details, but it was along the same vague lines

dubbz
Dec 23, 2005, 02:13 PM
Awesome :)

I also pray she does not discover Britney Spears or Ashlee Simpson. :p

I guess there's some positive points about being deaf...

warcraftmaster
Dec 23, 2005, 02:15 PM
i would how it would be if it got to loud or could it? that a hard answer:confused:

joepunk
Dec 23, 2005, 02:19 PM
That's wonderful.

Now that is what I would call a merical. Especially this close to a Pagan ritual/holiday :p

jobberwacky
Dec 23, 2005, 02:41 PM
That's wonderful.

Now that is what I would call a merical. Especially this close to a Pagan ritual/holiday :p
There's nothing miraculous about cochlear implants. They're an outcome of scientific research.

yellow
Dec 23, 2005, 02:43 PM
Cool..

Glad it wasn't "Grandma Got Run Over By A Raindeer (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=98540042&s=143441&i=98539700)"..

winmacguy
Dec 23, 2005, 02:47 PM
This proves that you dont need a hearing ability to be affected by the 'iPod mindshare halo':)
Although you do need hearing to listen to one. I guess her family couldn't have wished for a better Christmas gift or time of the year to get your hearing for the first time.
<Wipes tear from eye>

Doctor Q
Dec 23, 2005, 03:27 PM
The one kid who didn't want an iPod has now been converted! :D

But what a nice story! :)

mjstew33
Dec 23, 2005, 03:36 PM
I'm glad i'm not that bad. I have hearing aids - 2 of them, since they found out i was 80-90% deaf. I hear pretty good, but only with the top of the line hearing aids.

Must have been a wonderful moments to hear cheerful music in this season.

p0intblank
Dec 23, 2005, 03:41 PM
Now that is what Christmas is all about. :) I'll try to remember to pray for her and her family this Saturday night during Christmas mass.

maddav
Dec 23, 2005, 03:44 PM
"She wants an iPod for Christmas. There is a wire which can go directly to the implants, so it will be like having her favourite music inside her head."

Line-in socket?

Sorry, that was bad taste.

"Being able to see her face light up as she takes in everything around her is all I could have asked for this Christmas."

This is just wonderful!

joepunk
Dec 23, 2005, 03:44 PM
There's nothing miraculous about cochlear implants. They're an outcome of scientific research.
I don't personally believe in miracles myself. I thought that it was just that she gets to hear this close to a time of year that Christians proclaim as the birth of christ when it really is just a way to make Northern European Tribes convert more easily in the Middle Ages.

Oh, and I was forced to listen to several christian songs on the radio while I drove my stepmother to work a few days ago and I was Miracled out after listening to so many christ, the miracle of christ songs.

Anyway, have a good weekend.

Nermal
Dec 23, 2005, 03:55 PM
I am so happy for her and her family.

My best wishes to continued success with her implants and I pray she leads a healthy and fruitful life with her new hearing.

I was about to say "wdlove, is that you?" then I saw your stealth text ;)

Seriously, it must be difficult to be deaf, and I'm glad that she is getting some hearing :)

redAPPLE
Dec 23, 2005, 05:03 PM
it is nice to hear such positive stories, christmas or no christmas.

it really depresses me that there are less and less positive stories nowadays.

iMeowbot
Dec 23, 2005, 05:26 PM
Line-in socket?

Sorry, that was bad taste.
Pretty close! There are little inductive sensors just beneath the skin, so people using those just need to hook little transmitter thingies over their ears. Not too different from those car cassette adapters, really.

Applespider
Dec 23, 2005, 07:04 PM
I was all in favour of cochlear implants until I heard from someone who felt that they were being pushed on the deaf community thanks to pressure from the media, and then by the hearing world. They seemed to feel that the implants weren't all they were cracked up to be. Sadly, I made a mental note to find out more and forgot to.

If they're working for this girl, then I'm very happy for her. I went off 'bells' after Fox played the bells jingle between every down last week during their games.:p

Menhir
Dec 24, 2005, 02:33 AM
Some cheerful news just in time for the holidays!

I hope Apple takes this opportunity to gift the girl and her siblings an iPod, a gift card to buy a lot of Christmas carols on iTMS, and an iMac to go with it - it's just the right thing to do.

Of course, goes without saying that the PR buzz generated with these gifts would be off the charts, especially in the UK.

California
Dec 24, 2005, 04:48 PM
I don't personally believe in miracles myself. I thought that it was just that she gets to hear this close to a time of year that Christians proclaim as the birth of christ when it really is just a way to make Northern European Tribes convert more easily in the Middle Ages.

Oh, and I was forced to listen to several christian songs on the radio while I drove my stepmother to work a few days ago and I was Miracled out after listening to so many christ, the miracle of christ songs.

Anyway, have a good weekend.

Apples are a miracle of industrial design.

It is a miracle that any of us gets out of bed each morning and can manage one smile to one another each day; but dying for the sins of all mankind when you yourself are innocent -- and then rising from the dead three days later much to the consternation of the cops, street people, philosphers and resident historians is a miracle that gives us all hope that we can do more good with our lives than a smile.

That's the reason for the season and the miracled out Xmas songs. It's the hope that we are intelligent and loving eternal souls, not just doomed animals.

Put Merry in your Christmas: He loves you and me despite our bad habits and that we fall short every day of His standard of loving one another.

jobberwacky
Dec 31, 2005, 02:34 AM
Apples are a miracle of industrial design.

Put Merry in your Christmas: He loves you and me despite our bad habits and that we fall short every day of His standard of loving one another.
Who's he? I don't think I know you and it surprises me even more that we're supposed to have a common mate.