Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wobegong

Original poster
May 29, 2012
Sad to say that I guess one day there had to be a straw to break the camels back re my use of the PM as a main machine and took the plunge over the weekend that it's time in that role was up.

Good news is it's still being used, it's back behind the TV running XBMC (v11) perfectly as I've swapped out a Windows box previously doing that task and have now made that my full time home machine albeit with OpenSuse 13.1 replacing Windows.

Early days yet but I'm already fairly comfortable that it was the right move (for me!), so refreshing to run Skype video again without getting out the laptop, Steam, normal updates, relaxed about security etc.
Also fun getting to grips with some of the apps that are new to me (Pitivi & digiKam in particular).

At least the PM will continue to do a useful job, just a shame it has to 'hide' behind the TV out of site (layout around the TV doesn't really allow me to put it anywhere else).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well, you do what you got to do based on your needs. We all know that there's just certain things these machines cannot do or do as well any more. A shame, but the endless march of technology can't be stopped either.

At least, as you've said it's still performing a function, even if it's behind the scenes, so to speak! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.