PDA

View Full Version : can't see library after Tiger clean install

bobditch
Dec 23, 2005, 03:41 PM
I had to do an erase and install to get Tiger loaded. My music library is on a 2nd internal hard drive. ITunes doesn't see my music after I selected the folder in Preferences>Advanced Tab>Music folder location>Change.
What gives?
Thanks, Bob

mad jew
Dec 23, 2005, 10:59 PM
You need to re-add your music. Hopefully you backed up a file on your internal (start up) drive called iTunes Library or something similar. This file stores the playlist info and playcounts and if you just put that file in the equivalent spot on your current start up drive (iTunes folder within Music) then you keep your old settings assuming you haven't manually moved anything on the external. :)

This file is in the same location irrespective of where you set iTunes to keep its library.

Daveway
Dec 24, 2005, 12:15 AM
I think what madjew is trying to say here is that you need to set the folder location in iTunes prefs, but also go back and drag-and-drop your music folder into iTunes.

mad jew
Dec 24, 2005, 12:19 AM
I think what madjew is trying to say here is that you need to set the folder location in iTunes prefs, but also go back and drag-and-drop your music folder into iTunes.

Yeah, do this if you didn't keep your old Library data file. You won't have any playlist or play count info though. :o

Daveway
Dec 24, 2005, 01:01 AM
Yeah, do this if you didn't keep your old Library data file. You won't have any playlist or play count info though. :o

Wouldn't he have that if he moved the iTunes data and .xml files into the music folder?

mad jew
Dec 24, 2005, 01:04 AM
I have my music on my internal drive but I always thought that the data files were kept in the default music location irrespective of where the actual music was kept. By default, we get iTunes Library, iTunes Library.xml and iTunes Music in our iTunes folder. From memory (and I could well be wrong), it's only the iTunes Music folder that can be moved. I really could be completely wrong on this though. I quite often am. :o

Irrespective, hopefully those two files (well, really just the actual iTunes Library file) have been backed up. :)