Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
I have 10.9.1 on a few MacBook Airs and three Mac minis. I want to be able to set up remote desktop on my mother-in-law's MacBook Pro (running 10.9.X) who lives on the other side of the world (great isn't it :D). She basically has no idea about Macs and wants me to be able to access her Mac when she needs to install new versions of Skype etc. In other words get me to do all the IT work on her Mac remotely. I am tired of trying to do it all via Skype or the phone going through the usual tortuous conversation "can you see the icon in the folder? yes no yes no... well drag it to the... no no no don't drag it there... where did it go??"

I have a fairly neat setup amongst all my Macs where I can do all that through simply Remote Desktop in OS X through my Apple ID. Has worked well for particularly when I travel to access my base Mac mini. But what about across to someone else's Mac.

I am guessing there are some setting I can change on her Mac to give me permission etc.

Alternatively, is there a better App that would work better?

Also I understand I will need to get to her Mac to set it up. I will be there in a few months so I want to work out what to do first to run some tests.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Have her go into Sharing Pref Pane and add a user to Screen Sharing.

The trick would be whether you could get to her computer through firewall, etc, but I'm assuming you've already set that up.

There are also things like Remoter Fusion. Essentially she'd download and install it, then set up a computer name and password, which you would use to access her computer. It's got goodies above and beyond VNC, and she wouldn't have to use an AppleID. It would set up a connection without having to go through manual settings elsewhere on her Mac. Things like ShareTool might also work.

Rob

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
If the connection is not public internet facing (in layman terms) then you could also look at other solutions like LogMeIn for Mac

They allow proxy VNC style connections ... so the iMac routes all screen sharing through their servers to whatever client app you are running

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i use TeamViewer to connect to my iMac and PC at home from either my iPad mini, iPhone 5S or Xubuntu netbook. i suggest it since it works with all three platforms and its free for personal use. just log in with a username and password and it shows a 'buddy list" of all the computers registered under the username and connect to either one you want. also supports file transfer functions.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
i use TeamViewer to connect to my iMac and PC at home from either my iPad mini, iPhone 5S or Xubuntu netbook. i suggest it since it works with all three platforms and its free for personal use. just log in with a username and password and it shows a 'buddy list" of all the computers registered under the username and connect to either one you want. also supports file transfer functions.

+1 for TeamViewer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.