Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
I am on iOS 5.1.1 (jailbroken if that matters) and want to update to iOS 7.0.4.
Now which would be safest way for me to go about this so that i do not lose anything like SMS, Contacts and hopefully whatsapp chat history.
I tried in morning with my iPad and it gave me some error when i tried updating in iTunes (using IPSW, shift + update) and then my iPad went into recovery and then i had to use shift+restore with downloaded ipsw and then restored the backup but seems some apps did not restore back, no idea why.

Please suggest.

PS: I will be downloading IPSW of iPhone 4S because i do not have good internet and many a times iTunes update gets interrupted and starts all over again wasting too much time.

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
If you're jailbroken you should always restore to the latest version of iOS, restore from backup, and then rejailbreak the device.

Do you mean to say that in iTunes instead of doing UPDATE, i should instead do RESTORE (shift+restore since i am using IPSW) and it will automatically update iOS 7.0.4 and it will be sort of clean install and then restore my backup (which i would have taken before restoring to iOS 7.0.4) and that should ensure that i do not lose anything ?

Can i do an OTA update of 7.0.4 and once that is done, i am hoping that my data and everything remains intact and then take a backup in iTunes and then restore again to 7.0.4 using iTunes so that in future jailbreak.

WB2Colorado

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Durango, Colorado
Do you mean to say that in iTunes instead of doing UPDATE, i should instead do RESTORE (shift+restore since i am using IPSW) and it will automatically update iOS 7.0.4 and it will be sort of clean install and then restore my backup (which i would have taken before restoring to iOS 7.0.4) and that should ensure that i do not lose anything ?

Yes, exactly.

matt94gt

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2011
Victoria BC Canada
Help

Sorry for pulling up an old thread. But I'm in the same situation.

I have an iPad 1, the highest iOS I can put on it is iOS 5.1.1, I have jailbroken it hoping to update to iOS7, but after further reading this is not possible, right?

Is there anyway to get iOS7 on a old iPad thats stuck on iOS 5.1.1?

I did find this link:
http://thenghui.com/blog/?p=1155

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Sorry for pulling up an old thread. But I'm in the same situation.

I have an iPad 1, the highest iOS I can put on it is iOS 5.1.1, I have jailbroken it hoping to update to iOS7, but after further reading this is not possible, right?

You're correct, there's no way to put anything later than 5.1.1 on an iPad 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.