PDA

View Full Version : 400MPH Dodge Tomahawk Motorcycle


peter2002
Jan 6, 2003, 07:58 PM
Got the need for speed? Dodge debuts prototype of a new motorcycle powered by the same engine that goes in the Dodge Viper.

What is with all these new vehicles with 400-1000 horsepower? I thought the speed limit is only 75MPH.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20030106/mdf179843.jpg

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=569&e=3&u=/nm/20030106/tc_nm/autos_show_dodge_dc_1

Pete

Thanatoast
Jan 7, 2003, 04:42 AM
Anybody remember Kaneda's bike from Akira? This looks like the prototype to me...:cool:

sturm375
Jan 7, 2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by peter2002
Got the need for speed? Dodge debuts prototype of a new motorcycle powered by the same engine that goes in the Dodge Viper.

What is with all these new vehicles with 400-1000 horsepower? I thought the speed limit is only 75MPH.


Well, I believe Montana still doesn't have a speed limit on the big roads. You could take it out there.

ejb190
Jan 7, 2003, 05:54 PM
Ummmm. O.K.

Nice idea and good technology testbed, but asside from being an oddity, I can't imagine anyone really pushing it to the limits. Can you imagine a moth hitting your chest (or face) at 400 mph? OUCH!

alex_ant
Jan 7, 2003, 08:21 PM
My god. It should be mandatory to install a toolbox in the back of this thing that contains a rubber spatula, so the paramedics have something to scrape your splattered ass off the pavement with when you crash. Does the $250k price tag include a life insurance policy?

Sun Baked
Jan 7, 2003, 08:34 PM
It's the type of motorcycle you'd expect Arnold to ride in Terminator 4, or something Jay Leno would have in his garage.

But at that price it would be a hard choice between the jet engine and the viper as power plants.

Jay Leno on his $150,000 Bell Jet Ranger engine powered motorcycle (http://popularmechanics.com/automotive/sub_coll_leno/2001/8/recycled_jet_setter/images/tb_0108AUCCAA-LEAD.jpg)

awrc
Jan 7, 2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by sturm375


Well, I believe Montana still doesn't have a speed limit on the big roads. You could take it out there.

Nope, Montana has a speed limit - they were forced to adopt one or lose federal highway funding. It's higher than most - 85mph - and the penalties for exceeding it are, I believe, on the low side but it's there.

Al

sturm375
Jan 8, 2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by awrc


Nope, Montana has a speed limit - they were forced to adopt one or lose federal highway funding. It's higher than most - 85mph - and the penalties for exceeding it are, I believe, on the low side but it's there.

Al

Darn:(

It would be nice if there were somewhere in the US we could take our big engine cars and really floor it.

lmalave
Jan 8, 2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by ejb190
Ummmm. O.K.

Nice idea and good technology testbed, but asside from being an oddity, I can't imagine anyone really pushing it to the limits. Can you imagine a moth hitting your chest (or face) at 400 mph? OUCH!

Yeah, there's no way you could even stay on the thing. They'd have to build a huge windscreen that goes all the way over you so you don't get blown off. I mean, this thing is more or less in the ballpark of a jet at cruising speed. Crazy.

Chef Ramen
Jan 11, 2003, 05:14 PM
two words:

autobahn

f-zero style racing come to life:eek:


....well 7 words but you get the picture

zac4mac
Jan 12, 2003, 09:28 PM
I chuckled when I read that it has four wheels to support the weight. I know a guy that lives about 20 miles north of me that built a "Boss Hoss" several years ago. He still has it and is still alive. It's a 2 wheeler with a 400HP Chevy 350 in it. 2 speeds, fast and ludicrous.
I'll stick with my Shovelhead(1982 HD Wide-Glide 90c.i.d.), thanks.

Zack

Chef Ramen
Jan 13, 2003, 08:57 PM
you know i was thinking, it just might be possible to use similar vehicles in high-speed racing...

1. make sure its made out of super-indesctructable lightweight materials

2. provide a windshield of some sort that covers the racer's body

3. make sure the racer can't fly out

F1 eat your heart out;)