Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
Hi all

I'm the very proud owner of a 12in powerbook, but my parents are requiring a new laptop and I'm thinking about getting them a 12in ibook.

They are wanting a small highly portable laptop to take to new zealand / australia in january.

They plan to hook it up to a nokia mobile phone via bluetooth to let them send /recieve emails while they are out there.

Is this possible to do? If so how easy is it to run and what would they require to do this? Is a standard isp's dial up account ok or do I need to sort them out with gprs? Would there be any issues with taking a uk setup over to nz/oz?

How many mac stores are there about in nz/oz if they have any issues?

Any help advice would be most useful.
Thanks

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Gordy said:
Hi all

I'm the very proud owner of a 12in powerbook, but my parents are requiring a new laptop and I'm thinking about getting them a 12in ibook.

They are wanting a small highly portable laptop to take to new zealand / australia in january.

They plan to hook it up to a nokia mobile phone via bluetooth to let them send /recieve emails while they are out there.

Is this possible to do? If so how easy is it to run and what would they require to do this? Is a standard isp's dial up account ok or do I need to sort them out with gprs? Would there be any issues with taking a uk setup over to nz/oz?

Any help advice would be most useful.
Thanks
First, they need to be sure that they get a cell phone that will work down there. Like the US is CDMA or GSM, where as the UK is just GPRS. So you have to match your phone to what is going to be down there in NZ, and also the carrier (Verizon, Cingular, I don't know the NZ carriers) And where the coverage areas are, since you most likely wont get a signal out in the country side.

Attached is a document on how I found out how to hook up my cell phone to my powerbook, and ibook when I used a extra bluetooth doggle, with the username and password needed to turn it into a modem. Depending how how tech swavy your parents are, they could do it themselves everytime they needed to connect. You can set it up for them before they leave, and they can use the phone as a modem.

Essentually, they will just use their minutes and it would be enough of a data connection to get emails sent and recieved.

Attachments

• Connecting to the Internet with Bluetooth and the Motorola V710.pdf
    230.2 KB · Views: 271

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
First of all, data plans are EXPENSIVE here. If they're just going to be here for a month, it'd be cheaper to take out prepaid dialup, which starts at around $10/£4 (example). The problem there is with finding cards, I've personally never seen one, but then again I've never looked for them!

If you decide to go wireless, a UK Vodafone setup should work here. Vodafone UK may have to be notified in advance - we have to tell Vodafone NZ if we're taking our phone to certain countries.

Gordy said:

There are AppleCentres in Auckland, Hamilton, Tauranga, Palmerston North, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin. In addition, there are third-party resellers around the place.

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
Thanks both of you I will look at that document.

I was hoping to pick up an ibook today but I don't think my local mac store has stock. :(

bgd

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
SG
You could always use WiFi hotpoints rather than a mobile dial up, where it is available. NZ is pretty advanced technically so I would assume (please correct me if I'm wrong) no shortage of connectivity in the main centres. There are also a large number of internet cafes everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.