PDA

View Full Version : iPods just work!

iSaint
Dec 23, 2005, 09:17 PM
I'm amazed by the smooth transitioning and updating by iTunes on my two iPods and my iBook. I've done some minor equipment upgrading and maintenance lately, and it's been trouble free.

1) I have a 4th gen G4 iBook with a 40g harddrive. My music was taking up 17gig, so I pulled a 40g HD out of an old Compaq pc someone gave me, ordered and enclosure for about $30 delivered, hooked it all up, formatted it (7 wipes = 11 hours), moved iTunes (article here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301748) and converted my larger MP3s to 128kbps AACs. Had a few issues with song duplication, but nothing a little leg (or finger) work couldn't handle.

2) Wife bought me a 5g 30gig iPod, so I had to look up how to run multiple iPods on one computer so she could have my 4g 20gig. A quick search on MacRumors led me to this article (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300432) at the Apple support site. I could just update both iPods with my entire library, but there's so much my wife won't listen to, so I've created a playlist for her. Easy...!!!

3) FINALLY (after a week) had the guts to delete my original iTunes library on the iBook's harddrive. So far so good with the old harddrive in the new enclosure. I now have 40g of free space to play with: 20g on the enclosure, 20g on the iBook.

It was fun just now plugging both iPods in at the same time and watching them update simultaneously. Try that on any box running Windows OS...I can only imagine the loss of time, music, and sanity. iTunes even knows my 5g iPod is black, and has the little black iPod icon, and my wife's white iPod right above it! So cool!

16 months a Mac user, and never more pleased and excited about my equipment!

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays fellow Apple lovers!

rockandrule
Dec 23, 2005, 09:32 PM
Sounds like a wicked good time! Glad to see you're having fun and enthused!:)

Clix Pix
Dec 23, 2005, 09:34 PM
It was fun just now plugging both iPods in at the same time and watching them update simultaneously. Try that on any box running Windows OS...I can only imagine the loss of time, music, and sanity. iTunes even knows my 5g iPod is black, and has the little black iPod icon, and my wife's white iPod right above it! So cool!

16 months a Mac user, and never more pleased and excited about my equipment!

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays fellow Apple lovers!

Nodding here.... I didn't even really discover iTunes until a couple of weeks ago, and then -- wow! I had it on my old Windows machine (it came along when I was downloading Quicktime) but never even attempted to do anything with it because I was sure there would be problems. There were ALWAYS problems on my Windoze machine....

So then I bought my iMac back in mid-October, immediately marveled at how everything "just works," but still didn't get around to exploring iTunes. Once I did.... WHOA!!! WOW! Yeah, well, that led me down the garden path to the Apple store to buy me an iPod. W00T!!! I got the G5 video in creamy white to match my iMac, and have had the best time with it! I then decided to go even more mobile and got a black Nano to use in the car with the Road Trip thingy because the Nano is smaller and slips into my small purse more easily.

Yeah, isn't that neat how the system knows when you're connecting a white iPod or a black one? That really blew me away when I saw that....

Only got the one dock (with adapters) so won't be plugging both of my iPods in at the same time, but that is so cool that we can do that! Only with a Mac.....no way could a Windoze machine deal with that!

Happy holidays to you, too! :)

OTB