PDA

View Full Version : Detailed MacWorld Predictions

MacBytes
Dec 23, 2005, 10:18 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Mac Websites
Link: Detailed MacWorld Predictions (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051223231817)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Daveway
Dec 23, 2005, 10:40 PM
-Powerbooks are a no go for MWSF, that can be guaranteed.
-Aperture Express, meh, I don't think so. To niche' and new.
-Mac minis having DVR would most likely not use Yonah, but would more likely use viiv, which is for multimedia.
-the article failed to mention any surprises. There's always something that is a total surprise that was never even rumored.

runninmac
Dec 23, 2005, 11:40 PM
-Mac minis having DVR would most likely not use Yonah, but would more likely use viiv, which is for multimedia.

I thought VIIV was just Yonahs with special multimedia purposes?

Either way Im not to big of a fan of the article. It seemed they were either to confident in what they were saying or not confident enough.

Nermal
Dec 23, 2005, 11:50 PM
Moving onto the hot stuff now, the Mac mini was first introduced one year ago at MWSF 2005 and has seen a similar success as the iPod shuffle, switching hundreds of PC users to the Mac platform.

I seriously hope it helped switch more than hundreds! :eek:

runninmac
Dec 23, 2005, 11:54 PM
Thats what I was hoping to... for a multi-billion dollar company 100's isn't much to be bragging about.

Daveway
Dec 24, 2005, 12:00 AM
Thats what I was hoping to... for a multi-billion dollar company 100's isn't much to be bragging about.

So the article WAS a bit exaggerated. The iPod shuffle comments were a bit bloated as well.

ibjoshua
Dec 24, 2005, 12:22 AM
I thought it was a quite nicely rounded article. A big surpise isn't really a big surprise if it's rumoured before hand is it?

I could see those Nanos getting a boost to make room for bigger Shuffles.

I'm not sure about all these predictions of iBooks before Powerbooks. That just doesn't make sense and neither do Mac Minis before Power Macs or iMacs. They don't usually pioneer new processors with the low end machines. Where did the G3, G4 and G5 processors go first?

This MacWorld looks like it will be fun.

ibjoshua

iMeowbot
Dec 24, 2005, 12:24 AM
I thought VIIV was just Yonahs with special multimedia purposes?
It's not even that! It's a set of minimum hardware and software requirements that should play nice with WinXP Media Center and some new Intel services. Several CPUs and chipsets will qualify for the branding. Macs, even if they carried all the same chips, probably wouldn't get the Viiv name because of the different operating system.

ibjoshua
Dec 24, 2005, 12:37 AM
It's not even that! It's a set of minimum hardware and software requirements that should play nice with WinXP Media Center and some new Intel services. Several CPUs and chipsets will qualify for the branding. Macs, even if they carried all the same chips, probably wouldn't get the Viiv name because of the different operating system.
Yeah. It's had a lot of press on the Mac net but it seems the more I read the more it looks like viiv is a bit of a red herring for us. Apple already has a pretty workable multimedia framework with iLife and Bonjour etc.

Of course we don't have DVR hardware or software yet but I'm sure they'd roll out pretty painlessly onto Macs if Apple so wished.

ibjoshua

Daveway
Dec 24, 2005, 01:05 AM
...if Apple so wished.

Those eternal words are what we hinge on.

Koodauw
Dec 24, 2005, 01:28 AM
I would just like a dual-core processor of some sorts in the portables, that and hopefully the Front Row remote will be bluetooth. Adding a IR receiver to a notebook seems a bit silly. ( I hate cords.)

Jalexster
Dec 24, 2005, 06:27 AM
For those who are confused as to what VIIV is, it's just a standard for HTPCs. Basically, a hardware standard to conform to, so all DVR hardware, works with all DVR software.

It's not a processor type. It's a hardware standard like Centrino.

aswitcher
Dec 24, 2005, 06:44 AM
An iSight with an IR receiver and remote to use Front Row would be a nice item to have.

iLife 06 with Delicious Monster and International support would rock.

Fender2112
Dec 24, 2005, 07:14 AM
This years surprise announcement will be Apple's foray into the soft drink market. In an effort to unseat Coke and Pepsi, Apple will release its own brand of soda called Apple Juice. It will be a clear citrus drink similar to Mountain Dew or Mello Yello. It will contain twice the caffeine and come packaged in a pure white bottle with a green cap.

BlizzardBomb
Dec 24, 2005, 07:19 AM
I thought it was a quite nicely rounded article. A big surpise isn't really a big surprise if it's rumoured before hand is it?

I could see those Nanos getting a boost to make room for bigger Shuffles.

I'm not sure about all these predictions of iBooks before Powerbooks. That just doesn't make sense and neither do Mac Minis before Power Macs or iMacs. They don't usually pioneer new processors with the low end machines. Where did the G3, G4 and G5 processors go first?

This MacWorld looks like it will be fun.

ibjoshua

I agree, it was a good round-up article, although it was telling us things we already knew (but that's what round-ups are for anyway).

iDM
Dec 24, 2005, 09:10 AM
I think his assessment on the shuffles was a tad to extreme in the arguement against updates. His arguement that a 2gb would be in competition or cause consumer confusion is true, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't up the nano does it? After reading his first assessment althought I agreed with some other things he lost alot of credibility in my book.

Yvan256
Dec 24, 2005, 09:44 AM
Detailed MacWorld Predictions

First prediction: websites will continue on using fonts that are too small to read. :rolleyes:

(and yes, I know about [Windows]+[+]... not sure what key it really is, I'm using my good old IBM keyboard). :D

Peace
Dec 24, 2005, 10:02 AM
I said it b4 and I'll say it again..
The one thing they didn't mention that "could" be a surprise.But not a big one is the new iPod'ish remote control iPhone.
AND...

http://www.vingle.com

Platform
Dec 24, 2005, 11:02 AM
“The new Mac mini will feature the new Yonah processor, two different speeds will be available, 1.66Ghz and 1.50GHz single core low voltage and the possibility of a higher tier Yonah at 1.66Ghz but featuring dual cores.”

This is nice.....:D

TomSmithMacEd
Dec 24, 2005, 12:51 PM
They could easily move the Nano up to 4gb and 6gb...

I remember two years ago they switched the 3rd Gen iPod from 10-20gb during the holiday season to 15-30gb at Macworld.

Silencio
Dec 24, 2005, 01:49 PM
How can any Apple product released/announced in January possibly have a single-core Yonah? Those CPUs won't be released by Intel until March or April.

I think there will be enough differentiation performance-wise for the Mac mini, iBook, and Powerbook to all sport dual-core Yonahs within the next few months. The only question is whether Apple's price points are supported by those parts, though IIRC the single-core Yonahs really don't cost much less than their dual-core counterparts.

iMeowbot
Dec 24, 2005, 02:09 PM
A replacement for the shuffle is a no brainer, since the current 1 GB model has been discontinued (they call it "out of stock" but are no longer taking orders).

Some kind of Macintel for early adopters will be announced and shipped not too long afterward. The box will adopt superficial but attention-grabbing changes from the current Mac mini in an effort to make clones from AOpen and friends look old. More mainstream Macintel vaporware may be announced for shipment later in the year.

iWork needs an update badly. It's dangling out there unfinished and unable to fill in for Appleworks, which hasn't been getting any love from Apple either.

iLife was bloated up with features over the past few updates, now it needs to be made fast enough. But that won't happen, we'll see new and improved bloat.

Jobs will issue a blanket refund for Aperture and a free coupon for Photoshop after admitting that it really was just a reskinned iPhoto, an office bet to see how gullible Apple customers really are.

Randall
Dec 24, 2005, 03:10 PM
How can any Apple product released/announced in January possibly have a single-core Yonah? Those CPUs won't be released by Intel until March or April. Bingo, they can't. Whoever is assuming that will be sorely dissappointed when they discover the facts. Single core Yonah's aren't slated until April at the absolute earliest. And it seems to me that the dual core Yonah will be signifigently more expensive to produce then the G4. Which stands to reason that we will not see dual core Yonah chips inside the iBook, unless you want to be paying Powerbook prices. :p

Randall
Dec 24, 2005, 03:13 PM
We'll see in a few weeks won't we... You can forget about dual core Yonah's showing up in the iBook line, unless Apple wants to endure an entire year's worth of canabalized PowerBook sales (the Merom dual core 64-bit processor won't be out until the end of 2006).

Randall
Dec 24, 2005, 03:26 PM
You know people... I find it hard to believe that after Apple "dropped the bombshell" this June, that they won't have a signifigent amount of Apple hardware running x86 this January. I don't see why anyone would count out seeing an intel based iBook, Mac Mini, and yes even the PowerBook. Everything G4 must go. Sure it's a big risk to switch over the "power" line so early on. But it's an even bigger risk for Apple to switch their entire hardware architecture anyway. The G4 has festered long enough. I say fsck it! Bring out the intel Macs now, before the people get restless.

With the big news out, I can't imagine any power users in the know buying old G4 based Powerbooks anyway, knowing that the switch is imminent. So PowerBook sales will drop regardless UNLESS they throw in a dual core Yonah NOW.

shadowfax
Dec 25, 2005, 06:21 PM
With the big news out, I can't imagine any power users in the know buying old G4 based Powerbooks anyway, knowing that the switch is imminent. So PowerBook sales will drop regardless UNLESS they throw in a dual core Yonah NOW.

Randall, I think that you're misconstruing the primary consumer base of the powerbook. even though the word "power" is in the name, it's not so much for power-users, a fairly small niche of computer users, as it is for professionals in need of powerful computers, but, moreover, computers that run a lot of software stably and quickly. The powerbooks will be falling flat on their face, with or without Intel processors, of course--without them, they are going to perform poorly, and with them, well, they're going to perform poorly as well with everything running Rosetta. So, what's worse? To sell computers you already are making, and have them sell poorly, or to invest millions of dollars in making Intel Powerbooks that are going to have mediocre sales as well until software companies get on board with universal binaries?

shamino
Dec 26, 2005, 11:05 AM
Yeah. It's had a lot of press on the Mac net but it seems the more I read the more it looks like viiv is a bit of a red herring for us. Apple already has a pretty workable multimedia framework with iLife and Bonjour etc.
Viiv is a marketing/branding campaign for a bundle of technologies that are (or soon will be) available separately. Much like the "Centrino (http://www.intel.com/products/centrino/index.htm?mobility_centrino)" brand simply means that the device has a Pentium-M, the 855 or 915-express chipset, and Intel's Wi-Fi chipset.

Similarly, Viiv (http://www.intel.com/personal/desktop/viiv/index.htm?dig_hom_viiv) is:

Instant on/off (probably via some kind of standby mode)
Optional remote control
A dual-core Intel processor
"Advanced graphics and sound". Probably will get refined into some specific Intel chipsets.
On-demand content. Probably means a software bundle.
DVR features (requiring a sold-separately TV tuner)
Various size/shape cases, designed to look nice in a living room or home theater
7.1 channel sound

In other words, a dual-core Intel-based Mac with a high-end TV tuner and audio card (possible FireWire based) could easily pass all these requirements.

Whether Intel will authorize Apple to use the Viiv trademark (and whether Apple would even want it) is another matter altogether.

applekid
Dec 26, 2005, 08:08 PM
I just want a nice update to the Mac Mini. That's all. Not asking for much at all, Apple. A Mac Mini with some more CPU power (whether it be Intel or not), a better graphics chip (I'm hoping for at least a Radeon 9600), Front Row built-in, and shipping the moment it's announced. That, or a nice refurbed G5 at the Apple Online Store for me to grab.

Although, I think a Front Row remote that was Bluetooth based would make more sense and would've made more sense. IR seems a bit limiting.

There's just so many possibility of updates based on the last generation of iMac G5. Better LCDs, new iSight, Front Row, Photobooth, etc.

Just rambling...

Randall
Dec 27, 2005, 08:01 AM
Randall, I think that you're misconstruing the primary consumer base of the powerbook. even though the word "power" is in the name, it's not so much for power-users, a fairly small niche of computer users, as it is for professionals in need of powerful computers, but, moreover, computers that run a lot of software stably and quickly. The powerbooks will be falling flat on their face, with or without Intel processors, of course--without them, they are going to perform poorly, and with them, well, they're going to perform poorly as well with everything running Rosetta. So, what's worse? To sell computers you already are making, and have them sell poorly, or to invest millions of dollars in making Intel Powerbooks that are going to have mediocre sales as well until software companies get on board with universal binaries?The Powerbook line will suffer no matter what this year it seems. Let me ask you this then, what is a better canidate for the dual-core Pentium M (Yonah 65nm 32-bit) coming out this January? Is it the iBook, Mac Mini, or the Powerbook, and why?

SiliconAddict
Dec 27, 2005, 08:31 AM

Umm no it can't. :rolleyes:

Nothing can. If Apple wanted to they can launch it at MW and ship it 2 months later. They have done it before. At this point no one other then Jobs can say anything with 100% certainty.

I'm going to tweak my numbers from Dec 2nd...

Mac Mini ..... 90% chance
x86 iBook ..... 80% chance
x86 PowerBook ..... 70% chance
x86 iMac ..... 20% chance
x86 PowerMac .... http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/images/smiles/rotfl.gif

New class of mobile device ..... 30%-40% chance

Chance of any of those devices shipping that month .... 50%

iLife '06 .... 90% chance
iWork updates .... 75% chance
Appature Express .... 35% chance
Leopard Demo ..... 10% chance

SiliconAddict
Dec 27, 2005, 08:48 AM
Randall, I think that you're misconstruing the primary consumer base of the powerbook. even though the word "power" is in the name, it's not so much for power-users, a fairly small niche of computer users, as it is for professionals in need of powerful computers, but, moreover, computers that run a lot of software stably and quickly. The powerbooks will be falling flat on their face, with or without Intel processors, of course--without them, they are going to perform poorly, and with them, well, they're going to perform poorly as well with everything running Rosetta. So, what's worse? To sell computers you already are making, and have them sell poorly, or to invest millions of dollars in making Intel Powerbooks that are going to have mediocre sales as well until software companies get on board with universal binaries?

Damn it people why do you keep saying that? PowerBooks are so anemic at this point that even a dual core x86 chip could possibly (And quite probably) be able to keep up with a PowerBook even in Rosetta if not outright blow it away. People have reported that the development kit kicks along at a good pace in Rosetta. The Yonah has already been shown to keep up with AMD's FX chips that are doubtlessly faster then the Pentium 4. If Apple's claims of 80% (Hell 60% would prob be enough.) the speed of a G3 it probably will be in the ballpark of the speed of what a current PowerBook G4 is.
My point being is people are making all kinds of claims without any data to back them up. How about we wait until the first dual core Yonah's are out before we start stating that performance is going to suck. Performance already does suck on the G4.

Randall
Dec 27, 2005, 08:55 AM
Damn it people why do you keep saying that? PowerBooks are so anemic at this point that even a dual core x86 chip could possibly (And quite probably) be able to keep up with a PowerBook even in Rosetta if not outright blow it away. People have reported that the development kit kicks along at a good pace in Rosetta. The Yonah has already been shown to keep up with AMD's FX chips that are doubtlessly faster then the Pentium 4. If Apple's claims of 80% (Hell 60% would prob be enough.) the speed of a G3 it probably will be in the ballpark of the speed of what a current PowerBook G4 is.
My point being is people are making all kinds of claims without any data to back them up. How about we wait until the first dual core Yonah's are out before we start stating that performance is going to suck. Performance already does suck on the G4.Thank you Jonathan, at least somebody around here sees it my way. I think that it's hard for people on this forum to overcome the pshycological differences of having a PPC G4 in there as opposed to a dual core Yonah x86 emulating a PPC. It is assumed by many that an emulation is never as good as the real thing. I can understand this point of view, but it's not the case. The G4 is 5 years old at this point. It's FSB is a measly 167MHz, it is old and slow and old. I have no doubt that emulated PPC on Yonah will be comperable to the actual performance you would get out of your G4. And in the following months we'll see more and more Universal Binaries take us native, and this emulation talk will become less and less of an issue for "Professionals".

Randall
Dec 27, 2005, 08:59 AM
People, just remember that anything that's bleeding edge (Yonah) costs $$$. I highly doubt that we'll be seeing this in iBooks and minis, at least right away. Were is the justification of putting a top of the line processor inside of a low end machine? I think you will be seeing the Dothan based Pentium Ms find their way into these lineups. All logic should support that opinion

aswitcher
Dec 27, 2005, 11:23 AM
Apple Australia store has a long advertised sale on today.

Amoungst the offerings are ~20-25% discounts on Airport Express and iSights. Seems like an indicator to me that they are going to be replaced.

Other items getting a small discount are iMacs and iBooks. No Mac Mini sale here.

Firewire Elgato TV recorder is also on sale...

igetit
Dec 27, 2005, 11:50 AM
No sales in the US...:( I wouldn't mind buying an "outdated" iSight and an Airport Express with a discount :D