Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henrys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I want to transfer files from my HDD on PC (HD-154U1)

2n0rf6e.png

But when I connect to server using smb://192.XXX.X.X/, it only lets me mount my User files on from my on the 'Local Disk'

2lxh7is.png

2zywpdl.png

Are there any commands to mount the HD-154UI Volume directly? As I have to copy stuff over from one HDD to another

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
I had to transfer around 70GB from PC to Mac recently and it was quite a faff. I tried using the method that you did but in the end it simply didn't work.

What I did was I turned WiFi off on both computers and used an ethernet cable for the transfer. Then, I shared the C:/ drive in Windows, browsed the network on the Mac using Finder, and used the "Connect As..." button to log in as the active Windows user. It then simply let me copy and paste the things I needed by allowing me to access the C:/ drive.

Just remember to "un-share" the C:/ drive after if you choose to do it this way. In your case you'd be sharing the D:/ drive and not the C:/ drive.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
What ^^ he said. C drive needs to be shared in order to access it.

That said, what do you need off the root of C? Have people STILL not learned to just save files inside their profile folder? If you store stuff in your profile there should be little to nothing of any use in areas that you could get to once you can access the C drive as most of what is there is Windows-related or apps that only work on Windows.

OS X will make you actually think about saving something to the root of the volume, you need to authenticate with your password. That should give you pause to consider "do I REALLY need to put this HERE or can it go somewhere else?"

henrys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I had to transfer around 70GB from PC to Mac recently and it was quite a faff. I tried using the method that you did but in the end it simply didn't work.

What I did was I turned WiFi off on both computers and used an ethernet cable for the transfer. Then, I shared the C:/ drive in Windows, browsed the network on the Mac using Finder, and used the "Connect As..." button to log in as the active Windows user. It then simply let me copy and paste the things I needed by allowing me to access the C:/ drive.

Just remember to "un-share" the C:/ drive after if you choose to do it this way. In your case you'd be sharing the D:/ drive and not the C:/ drive.

Thanks buddy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.