Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BananasAreC00l

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
My iPod won't charge. It was working fine before. I've only dropped it a few times and had a crack that wasn't really a bad crack, and it still worked fine after. I don't know if this would be the reason or not, but my stupid self thought it would be cool to bring my iPod into the shower with me. I brought it with me a few times after the first time after seeing that my iPod was fine and wasn't really affected by the water. I am sure its not my charger since I tried my friend's charger and it still didn't work but it worked on my friend's iPod.

I got my iPod last Christmas so it's only been a year, and my iPod is 4th gen.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I don't know if this would be the reason or not, but my stupid self thought it would be cool to bring my iPod into the shower with me. I brought it with me a few times after the first time after seeing that my iPod was fine and wasn't really affected by the water. I am sure its not my charger since I tried my friend's charger and it still didn't work but it worked on my friend's iPod.

I got my iPod last Christmas so it's only been a year, and my iPod is 4th gen.

:confused:benefit of taking it in the shower? And did you ever think about zapping yourself when plugging in to electricity and the possible water on the battery? Anyway sometimes my iPhone 4 doesn't charge and I un plug it and put it back in and it works. Try blowing in the charging thingy to get out dust or what Evers in there. Maybe if that doesn't work you can take off the back and dump out the water in there. Tell me if you fix it.

BananasAreC00l

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
I really don't know, haha. And no I haven't, even though I haven't been zapped when I plugged it into the outlet. I've blown into the charging thing and used a toothpick to take out a good piece of lint but it still does not charge. I have also unplugged and plugged it back in numerous times but it still doesn't charge. How would I take off the back to dump the water out?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
My money is on the fact that the board is probably corroded more than a penny sitting in a water fountain for months. Apple isn't going to pick up the bill for it "under warranty". You have no warranty and are probably about to face a hefty repair/replacement charge. Have a good time and realize that though you love your Apple product, it does not need to go *everywhere* with you.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I really don't know, haha. And no I haven't, even though I haven't been zapped when I plugged it into the outlet. I've blown into the charging thing and used a toothpick to take out a good piece of lint but it still does not charge. I have also unplugged and plugged it back in numerous times but it still doesn't charge. How would I take off the back to dump the water out?

Well I don't think its easy...
modmyi.com/content/9732-ipod-touch-4th-gen-take-apart.html

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Seriously? You thought dumping water out will fix this? First of all, as a person who has swapped screens and batteries on a 4th gen iPod touch, I can tell you there isn't all that much room in there for water to sit. However, since you decided to take it into water, cracked the screen, dropped it, and plugged it in while wet, the board is probably toast. The reason it didn't die instantly is that corrosion didn't set in yet.

Don't even bother repairing it. Say it is the screen, then the board will go due to corrosion, or even the dock connector from damage to the pins from using a toothpick in it. The whole iPod is toast, and it is probably best to write it off as an act of stupidity and just go buy a new one. I wish you the best of luck with it though!

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Seriously? You thought dumping water out will fix this? First of all, as a person who has swapped screens and batteries on a 4th gen iPod touch, I can tell you there isn't all that much room in there for water to sit. However, since you decided to take it into water, cracked the screen, dropped it, and plugged it in while wet, the board is probably toast. The reason it didn't die instantly is that corrosion didn't set in yet.

Don't even bother repairing it. Say it is the screen, then the board will go due to corrosion, or even the dock connector from damage to the pins from using a toothpick in it. The whole iPod is toast, and it is probably best to write it off as an act of stupidity and just go buy a new one. I wish you the best of luck with it though!

Hey just thought dumping the water out would be better then doing nothing.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
That thing is completely shot. I didn't want him to waste his time, energy, and money on an iPod that any component could go. It would be alot of effort, time, and risk to open that thing. I am afraid even if he got it running again, it would only be a matter of time until it dies completely.

BananasAreC00l

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
Well, thanks for your help guys. I'll just write it off as an act of stupidity just as someone said, and eventually buy a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.