Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edgeon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2013
Hi,

First of all thank you for this forum. I have a question and hope I will get some guidance.

I have iCloud activated on my iPad and iPhone. Now if someone messages me using iCloud email it appears everywhere. However when I get text on my number is it possible to have that text appear across all devices.

If yes, then I have another question. Say I am travelling abroad and change my number for 3-4 days. Will I still get message on my iPad if someone sends me a text on my new iPhone number?

Thanks

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
The iMessage will appear on every device where you have added that email to iMessage. Once you read it on one device, it will show on all devices but the red badge will disappear.

If you get a temp phone number and messages are sent to that number, they will only appear on the device where that phone number has been added

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I have iCloud activated on my iPad and iPhone. Now if someone messages me using iCloud email it appears everywhere. However when I get text on my number is it possible to have that text appear across all devices.

Yes - just change your iMessage settings so it uses your phone number for conversations instead of your email address.

If yes, then I have another question. Say I am travelling abroad and change my number for 3-4 days. Will I still get message on my iPad if someone sends me a text on my new iPhone number?

If you register the new number with iMessage, then yes. However, if the iMessage fails to send, it gets sent as an SMS instead, so not ideal for the person who sends it to you while you're using an abroad SIM card.

So I'd suggest you use your email address for iMessages while you're abroad. Or use something like WhatsApp (though you won't get that on your iPad).

Better yet, if you have Facebook, use Facebook Messenger. Not tied to your phone number, and works on multiple platforms/devices.

iMessage is great but it's a right mess when you end up with messages from someone's email address and their phone number.

edgeon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2013
Thanks for the quick reply guys, appreciated.

Kilamite, lets say I have activated the temp no. for iMessages on my iPhone but not on my iPad. Will the iPad still receive the message through iCloud or something.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hi,

First of all thank you for this forum. I have a question and hope I will get some guidance.

Thanks

Sign into your Apple ID. It will link the emails and your phone number so things go to all devices

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Kilamite, lets say I have activated the temp no. for iMessages on my iPhone but not on my iPad. Will the iPad still receive the message through iCloud or something.

The phone number is associated with your Apple ID, so it will appear on all devices. Though I'm not really sure how it'd work as I've never had two mobile numbers linked to the one Apple ID before.

I still think the best idea is to use Facebook Messenger instead, rather than using a temporary number for iMessage. It has the potential to cause issues later on where you don't use that number anymore but it's still registered for iMessage.

Viber is another alternative, and is available on the iPad. That is tied to your phone number and is synced across all devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.