Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lars Petersen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
Hi,

I don't know if i have some kind of super ears or...

But my new 20" iMac (the one with isight build in) makes a very high frequency noise when it is off. Only when it is off actually.

It can be compared to the high frequency noise a normal television makes.

What about yours??

Mery Christmas everyone!

Kind regards,
Lars Petersen

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
I once had a CRT that did that, very annoying. A noise doesn't mean there is a serious problem though, just don't switch it off put it on sleep.

Lars Petersen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
Thank's for a quick reply.

Actually, every TV makes this noise when they are on, but not all people hear it. But i have never heard it with a pc before, when it is turned OFF?

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
when it's OFF?????

leave the room immediately, do NOT look back......run.....now

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
That's very weird! I know the sound you're talking about (a muted TV drives me crazy!) but I've never heard of anything doing it when the system is turned off. I suspect it's the power supply (there's not much else it could be), and presumably the noise stops when you unplug the computer. If not, then you have gremlins :p

Lars Petersen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
Yea, I suspect the power supply also. It disappears when I unplug it totally (no Gremlins ;-)). It strangely also disappears when I turn it on. I was just wondering if anyone else had this noise? If I am the only one, then I will call Apple abut it.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Lars Petersen said:
Yea, I suspect the power supply also. It disappears when I unplug it totally (no Gremlins ;-)). It strangely also disappears when I turn it on. I was just wondering if anyone else had this noise? If I am the only one, then I will call Apple abut it.
Yeah, I have the new iMac and I don't have that problem. Call Apple.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
I doubt it's a serious problem, just ignore it and just don't turn it off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.