Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
I purchased the glas.tr nano slim for my iphone 5s and it looks great. However, I feel as though the oleophobic coating slowly wore out, and now the fingerprints are easily noticeable.

I don't know if its because I got a defective one or if their oleophobic coating is really weak, but comparing it to my friend's iphone 5 with his BodyGuardz Pure, his definitely has a strong coating.

Attached is a picture.

o8jg.jpg

What do you glas.tr nano slim owners think? Is yours this weak or is this normal?

Should I request an RMA for a replacement or try another company, and if so which one?

Thanks!

gully319

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2013
I've been using the same Spigen screen protector. I can't say if your experience is "normal" but so far, on mine, I am not having that problem. I like the way it looks and am glad I bought it.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
interesting...

how long would you guys say the oleophobic coating last with every day usage and wiping?

I feel like it should last at least a couple months

tvotony

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2013
The coating on here does not last very long. In fact it's the worst I have seen. Iloome on the other hand is half the cost and feels much better

DiscardedPacket

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2013
I got the same screen protector.

When mine shipped I discovered it had a small dent in the glass after I mounted it. Emailed Spigen with no response.

And yes after about 2-3 days the fingerprints started showing. After a week the screen protector started peeling & getting bubbles on the top right (I don't use a case).

So I pulled it off, now i have no screen protector.

edit: all the reviews rave about the protector. The only thing I can say is that I bought it when the 5S came out - and I think they may have been rushing the production to meet demand and the quality has slipped since the original release?

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Thanks for your opinion!

I think it may have been a rush product also.

I went ahead and bought the mime feather. Hopefully it has a strong oleophobic coating and just hope it doesn't chip because of no rounded edges.

The only positives of this glas.tr is that it has rounded edges, and it's easy to wipe off fingerprints.

Ibtechsavvy

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
Mine was non existent out the box. I'm not completely happy about it, but it's worth the trade off for a slimmer profile and the rounded edges, at least vs the bodyguardz pure.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Mine was non existent out the box. I'm not completely happy about it, but it's worth the trade off for a slimmer profile and the rounded edges, at least vs the bodyguardz pure.

I tested it side by side with my buddy's Pure, and wow, the coating on the Pure is super strong, I could barely tell there were fingerprint on there.

But I couldn't let myself buy the Pure. It was too thick so it felt weird with the indentation around the home button.

If they make a slimmer one in the future, I'll get one, but for now I got the Mime feather to test out.

Hopefully it has a stronger coating and doesn't chip.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
I have had the pure (iphone 5), nano (on a sgs4) and mime feather (5s). The pure definitely has the best oleophobic coating out of the 3. The feather feels somewhere in-between the bare glass and the pure (I think it's better than the bare glass). I've only had it a few weeks so I can't say how long it'll last. But the Pure coating lasted a few months. I've actually gone through 2 and the 2nd one didn't seem to last as long. I would have stuck with it since I have the replacement warranty but it is simply too thick for the 5s home button. The spigen definitely had the weakest coating with the shortest life. Oleophobic coatings are nice but in the end they are all temporary with varying lifespans depending on how you treat your screen.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
I have had the pure (iphone 5), nano (on a sgs4) and mime feather (5s). The pure definitely has the best oleophobic coating out of the 3. The feather feels somewhere in-between the bare glass and the pure (I think it's better than the bare glass). I've only had it a few weeks so I can't say how long it'll last. But the Pure coating lasted a few months. I've actually gone through 2 and the 2nd one didn't seem to last as long. I would have stuck with it since I have the replacement warranty but it is simply too thick for the 5s home button. The spigen definitely had the weakest coating with the shortest life. Oleophobic coatings are nice but in the end they are all temporary with varying lifespans depending on how you treat your screen.

thanks for the info!

I agree with you 100% about the pure on the home button. It felt really "deep" when I used my buddy's iphone 5 with the pure.

If only they made a slimmer one :(

how has the feather hold up with every day usage?

you notice any scratches or chipping?.....and are you going naked or with a case?

I just got my feather today, but not sure if I want to install it yet or wait unti something happens to the spigen, although I've seen it is pretty damn strong from some of the youtube videos :)

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I challenge you to do that same pic with ANY glass screen protector or the iPhone screen itself you you'll get the same results.

I just touched my screen, tilted it so the light hit the prints just right and guess what? Same result. IF you take a picture and make the prints stand out that's being a bit dishonest if you ask me. NOW do the same thing and take a pic so the finger prints aren't highlighted in the light.... Pic won't look the same.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
thanks for the info!

I agree with you 100% about the pure on the home button. It felt really "deep" when I used my buddy's iphone 5 with the pure.

If only they made a slimmer one :(

how has the feather hold up with every day usage?

you notice any scratches or chipping?.....and are you going naked or with a case?

I just got my feather today, but not sure if I want to install it yet or wait unti something happens to the spigen, although I've seen it is pretty damn strong from some of the youtube videos :)

No chips or scratches so far but it hasn't been long. I don't imagine it getting any from past experience unless it suffers some kind of impact. At most I'm expecting surface scratches (on the coating?) you only see under light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.