Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theportalguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2013
This laptop was given to me with no prior knowledge of what happened. It had an AppleCare service sticker on it, which I removed (It was on the outside). It had liquid damage of some sort and had all the components except the HDD with it. It would not start up when I plugged in an adapter, instead I would see a dim green light and no signs of life; so I successfully took this laptop apart and cleaned the board with 99% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol. When I had the logic board completely disassembled, I plugged in the MagSafe charger to the board just to see what would happen. Keep in mind that this board was NOT in the laptop at that time. It showed green as normal for about 3 seconds. I thought "good" and unplugged it and proceeded to put the laptop back together. Good news! This laptop will turn on and function completely normal with a battery, but it cannot even detect under System Profiler that a charger is connected, and doesn't show the slightest sign of life unless plugged in via battery. When the laptop has not had power for a long time, the MagSafe will turn completely green for 1-2 seconds, then turn dim green again.

Here is what i've tried:

1 ) SMC Reset (Unplug battery, hold power etc..)

2 ) PRAM Reset

3 ) Different keyboard (why not?)

4 ) Using different MagSafe power cords

5 ) Plugging the cord in backwards and normally, to no avail.

6 ) Using the cords on different computers to ensure that they work

I have purchased a new DC-in board and will be anxious to try it as soon as it arrives (Very mixed reviews on the net on if this works)

Any help would be lovely. I'd love to try and salvage this logic board and at this time am not interested in purchasing a new/used one for this "vintage" computer.

I have found many forums with the same problem, but not many answers. Any answer would be appreciated! Feel free to ask me for more information.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You get power from the battery.
I would expect from that, that the power supply function on the logic board is working.
More often, I've seen the battery connector fail, but then you wouldn't likely get power from the battery either….

So, I think the Magsafe board is a good next test.
If you still get the same "no response" from a good power adapter, even with a different Magsafe board, then it's the logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.