Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marissa.anders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Hi, I'm having an issue with a new iPad Air and iMessage. When I sign on to iMessage ont he iPad Air, it won't let me chat with Google Users and not all Text messages are going through/synching.

I did a search on the forums but didn't see anything that was similar to my issue.

I've tried resetting the network, and that hasn't helped.

Has anyone had the same issue or know of any possible fixes?

Thank you.

marissa.anders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Ok well make sure the people your trying to iMessage form the iPad are blue on your phone. Tell me what you find out.

When I try to message a Google Talk/Hangout user, they come up as blue but when I try to send a message it tells me the message is not sent.

marissa.anders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Will it work from your phone?

No, but I've never been able to do it from my phone, I don't think. I primarily use my Macbook Air for messaging and don't have problems with that.

Also, text messages being sent to me aren't going through to iMessage on the iPad Air either.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
No, but I've never been able to do it from my phone, I don't think. I primarily use my Macbook Air for messaging and don't have problems with that.

Also, text messages being sent to me aren't going through to iMessage on the iPad Air either.

Wait on your phone the messages to these people are blue or green?

marissa.anders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
I just read that iMessage on iPad doesn't support messaging of non Apple users. Is this correct? If it is, Im assuming that's why it won't seem to work.

marissa.anders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Yes that's why if you look on your phone and see green it means it won't work

Thanks, on my iPhone my messages are green and my friend, who's using GChat is gray. So I don't know what that means. I dropped and cracked my phone really badly, so it's all messed up so Ill have to wait until this weekend if I can get them to replace the glass before I can upload a screenshot.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Thanks, on my iPhone my messages are green and my friend, who's using GChat is gray. So I don't know what that means. I dropped and cracked my phone really badly, so it's all messed up so Ill have to wait until this weekend if I can get them to replace the glass before I can upload a screenshot.

iMessage only works between two apple devices that are using the stock messages app. If one of you is using anything other than an apple device or the stock messages app, it won't be iMessage. If your friend is sending texts as SMS, they won't go to your ipad. You would need a third party app both of you would use.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Only what you send is in a color

marissa.anders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
iMessage only works between two apple devices that are using the stock messages app. If one of you is using anything other than an apple device or the stock messages app, it won't be iMessage. If your friend is sending texts as SMS, they won't go to your ipad. You would need a third party app both of you would use.

Okay thanks. Guess I was confused because I've never had an issue with talking to gchat users through imessage on my mac book air or pro.

Popple

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Okay thanks. Guess I was confused because I've never had an issue with talking to gchat users through imessage on my mac book air or pro.

That's because the Messages app on OS X supports many different chat services/protocols. (Messages>Preferences>Accounts). iPhones support exactly 2: SMS/MMS and iMessage. iPads support exactly 1: iMessage.

Think of it like how Mail.app is set up on OS X. Mail is an application that supports many different email services. It just so happens that Mail on iOS supports those same services. Unfortunately (as you're finding out) that kind of feature parity is not present between the OS X and iOS versions of Messages.

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
So what is the best solution when trying to text from an iPad to an android? Should we be using Google chat? What is the simplest way to get that onto an iPad air? As an app, so I don't have to go load my Google pages every time I want to text.

Also, when I access my gmail page from my iPad Air, I don't see any chat option, or the list of my google friends who are online.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Popple

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
So what is the best solution when trying to text from an iPad to an android? Should we be using Google chat? What is the simplest way to get that onto an iPad air? As an app, so I don't have to go load my Google pages every time I want to text.

Also, when I access my gmail page from my iPad Air, I don't see any chat option, or the list of my google friends who are online.

Thanks for any help.

Search the iOS App Store for 'Google Chat'. I'm sure you'll find a myriad of chat apps that support the GChat protocol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.