Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Does arn plan on upgrading the forum to vBulletin 3.5.2, there seems to be a lot of nice new features, and Skype integration would be kinda nice here.

Link: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166391

vBulletin 3.5.2 is primarily a standard bug-fix/maintenance release for the vBulletin 3.5 series. However, this release includes fixes for two potential XSS (cross site scripting) security issues. If you do not upgrade, it is very important to at least patch your board. Please see the end of this post for patch instructions.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Cool. A forum update.

What other issues does this point release fix?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
no major changes. we're up to 3.5.2

Added a Skype field to your profiles

arn

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
arn is just really nice.

I'm just an unknown quantity at this point.

a lowly 1 pointer. :eek:

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
clayj said:
Hey, what are the stars below our avatars? I have two; Lacero has one; Arn has a bazillion... OK, he has seven.
Some sort of reputation system... I've seen a couple of other members w/ one or two stars. :( I've got no star power. Ah well. We can't all be special, eh? But we can dream. :*(

Aarow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
What are the stars underneath your avatar, arn?

Edit: Beaten to the post, by 3 people:eek: .

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
devilot said:
Some sort of reputation system... I've seen a couple of other members w/ one or two stars. :( I've got no star power. Ah well. We can't all be special, eh? But we can dream. :*(
How inspirational of you. :)

I don't see anywhere where we get to rank people... is it something that the mods do, or what? (If it's some secret deal, forget I asked.)

EDIT: Guess they were on by mistake? Because now they're all gone.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
um.... what stars? ;)

nah... just testing something, like before.

arn

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
clayj said:
How inspirational of you. :)

I don't see anywhere where we get to rank people... is it something that the mods do, or what? (If it's some secret deal, forget I asked.)

EDIT: Guess they were on by mistake? Because now they're all gone.

i believe they were turned on at some other point as well. usually happens with the upgrades.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I imagine those stars were Pips, a new way of showing post counts, or ranking.

On my site you either have Pips, or a dedicated group icon that goes with the group level you are in. On Neuwerks, the graphic is either a little square
pip.gif
, or a cheesy (intentional) looking german flag / checkered flag
mem.jpg

Example thread using Pips or group icons

The flag on my site indicates site contributors :) .

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
arn said:
um.... what stars? ;)

nah... just testing something, like before.

arn
BTW, I know what that was, now... there's another vBulletin forum I post on where the concept of "rep" (reputation) is used to reward posters for good posts or ding them for bad posts. Basically, the way it works is this:

1. You have two values attached to your account. REP is the total number of reputation points you've earned. REP POWER is INT(REP/100), and is the amount of rep that's given to another poster when you "rep" them. (For example, if you have 3425 rep points, your rep power is 34. Rep power also increases by a point after a certain amount of time elapses: for example, one point each month.)

2. When you rep someone, your rep power is added to their rep. If you ding ("neg rep") someone, half of your rep power is removed from their rep. You are also given the option of leaving feedback when you give/take rep.

3. The reppee can see when they've been given (or had taken away) rep, with the repper's name and a link to the post for which they were repped shown in the control panel.

4. There are limits as to how frequently you can rep (or neg rep) another poster.

Obviously, mods would have the highest rep and rep power, followed by long-term or important posters... newbies have no rep and no rep power, so they have to earn rep by impressing other posters.

I've found the rep system to be OK, but there are really no restrictions as to how or why you can rep (or neg rep) someone, so it becomes a bit of a popularity system after a while... on this other forum, I see people repping each other for nothing more significant than a (somewhat) witty comment. I really don't know that I'd want to see it added here.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
clayj said:
BTW, I know what that was, now... there's another vBulletin forum I post on where the concept of "rep" (reputation) is used to reward posters for good posts or ding them for bad posts. Basically, the way it works is this:

1. You have two values attached to your account. REP is the total number of reputation points you've earned. REP POWER is INT(REP/100), and is the amount of rep that's given to another poster when you "rep" them. (For example, if you have 3425 rep points, your rep power is 34. Rep power also increases by a point after a certain amount of time elapses: for example, one point each month.)

2. When you rep someone, your rep power is added to their rep. If you ding ("neg rep") someone, half of your rep power is removed from their rep. You are also given the option of leaving feedback when you give/take rep.

3. The reppee can see when they've been given (or had taken away) rep, with the repper's name and a link to the post for which they were repped shown in the control panel.

4. There are limits as to how frequently you can rep (or neg rep) another poster.

Obviously, mods would have the highest rep and rep power, followed by long-term or important posters... newbies have no rep and no rep power, so they have to earn rep by impressing other posters.

I've found the rep system to be OK, but there are really no restrictions as to how or why you can rep (or neg rep) someone, so it becomes a bit of a popularity system after a while... on this other forum, I see people repping each other for nothing more significant than a (somewhat) witty comment. I really don't know that I'd want to see it added here.

I really REALLY think we can live without this feature.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Let me know if there are any oddities. Always some template changes that get messed up. :)

arn

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
i had a feeling that we were updating when it said "we are closed for a short period". Let's see if there are any things i notice are changed.

I have already noticed the skype. what's next?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.