Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone2g&3gfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Orlando, Florida
Hi everyone,

I discovered that with the late 2012 model, plugging in the included hdmi to dvi and then pluging in a dvi to hdmi passive cable, I got audio! I dont know how.
Can anyone explain this?

Im using the Mac Mini Core i7 2.3 Ghz with 4gb ram.
It looked like a native 5.1 as i watched a movie and i could hear the right sounds from the surround speakers and the center speaker.

Last edited:

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Congratulations, apparently you chose wisely and purchased the correct cables.

Not much else to say.

jwhazel

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Hdmi type A and DVI-d are pin for pin the same except for the CEC line used for remote control. By going from hdmi > dvi > hdmi all you're doing is making a convoluted extension cord.

Edit for clarity: HDMI audio doesn't run on its own line, it gets muxed into the video signal. The only thing stopping normal transmission of audio over every dvi port is sort of a chicken and egg scenario. Most displays with dvi input won't demux the audio properly. So most video chips with dvi output won't bother to send it. There were several pc video cards that output audio via dvi for use with an hdmi dongle (Radeon 4870 comes to mind because I owned one).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.