Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TMothy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
So I'm slowly trying to convert myself over to X from 7 and I have run into an issue.

I shoot on the Canon C100, and for those that may not know it shoots in AVCHD.

Now I know FCPX can edit the .MTS files natively but my issue is importing the files.

Normally when I import the footage off the card, I simply copy the entire folder structure into a folder on an external drive. I must have the entire folder structure intact because if I record for longer than 10 minutes or so, it will break the file up into multiple files.

When I bring the footage into an NLE I first need to stitch the files back together into one long file. Usually I do this in ClipWrap but I noticed that FCPX will do this too.

Here's where the issue comes into play. Any time I try to import the folder structure into FCPX it keeps asking me to import it into another folder, but I don't want to do that, I just want it to leave the files where they are. Conveniently there is a option to do just that but unfortunately its grayed out and I can't select it. FCP is forcing me to import the files into another folder.

Is there a work around for this? :confused:

One option I have found to work is to do what I would normally do in FCP7 which is to convert the .MTS files to ProRes in ClipWrap (which also stitches the spanned clips back together) and then as long as the AVCHD folder structure is not in the same folder as the ProRes footage I can import the ProRes footage into FCPX without having to move the footage into another folder.

But I'm trying to avoid having to convert the small AVCHD files into these monster ProRes files and save some disk space and speed up my workflow by dropping that time-consuming step.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.