Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Sorry, I have to vent this somewhere. I've been using my 5S since I got it, quite happily i might add, but every time I'm sitting around surfing the internet, I'll hit a link and suddenly Safari (or Chrome) blows up and I'm back at the home screen.

Seriously Apple, wtf? It crashes more than I remember anything crashing in gingerbread .. 3 years ago! That sucks :(

That's my only complaint about iOS 7. Otherwise it's been great.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
Sorry, I have to vent this somewhere. I've been using my 5S since I got it, quite happily i might add, but every time I'm sitting around surfing the internet, I'll hit a link and suddenly Safari (or Chrome) blows up and I'm back at the home screen.

Seriously Apple, wtf? It crashes more than I remember anything crashing in gingerbread .. 3 years ago! That sucks :(

That's my only complaint about iOS 7. Otherwise it's been great.

wait for 7.1. From 7.1 beta 2 feedbacks no more crashes on 5S

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
If Chrome is crashing, how is that Apple's fault? Google should hire better programmers.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If Chrome is crashing, how is that Apple's fault? Google should hire better programmers.
Could be down to the use of UIWebView which is an iOS thing that all browsers have to use.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I don't have any problems with Safari or Chrome on my 5s either. Have you actually done any troubleshooting or are you just assuming it's an Apple issue?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

It's the Apple coding that iOS browsers use hence why safari crashes now and the crashes are fixed in Chrome with an Apple update to 7.1.

Just a little FYI :)

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
I don't have any problems with Safari or Chrome on my 5s either. Have you actually done any troubleshooting or are you just assuming it's an Apple issue?

It's a problem with iOS' web core, you guys don't see it probably because the websites you visit regularly don't trigger the crashes. Generally speaking, no website should be able to crash a browser. When it happens more than like, once a week you've got a problem.

In iOS the problem is magnified since Apple will not approve web browsers that don't use their (buggy) core.

It's probably not a hardware problem because if it was, everything would be crashing on my phone all the time, and that's not the case. There's only 1GB of ram, if the memory was defective it'd be pretty obvious.

7.1 can't come fast enough XD

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Why can't they just fix the dang web core and push an update for that?

It is ludicrous to wait for everything else. A full .1 update could take a while. This is the kinda crap Google rolls into their play services updates.

iOSBry

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2013
Throwing in my two cents - iOS 7.1 beta 2 fixes most, if not all Safari crashes at least in my case. I'm sure there are edge cases that aren't fixed but since loading beta 2 on my iPhone 4S, 5S and iPad 2, I've not had Safari crash once.

In fact, I've had only one crash since loading beta 2 three weeks ago and that was Settings-> Notification Center.

IOSBry

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I hold out very little hope for iOS7.1
iOS7 itself was released in very much a 'beta' state and still several months later the chronic and widespread battery drain has not been fixed. There are still serious safari issues and the whole thing is beyond a joke now. I am very disappointed with Apple and my experience with the iPhone 5 is seriously making me ponder jumping ship when my contract expires. I've had nothing but problems with the i5 and then iOS7 came along to completely ruin the Apple experience.

Thepoobear

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
Waiting till march to fix a major issue is assanine. It's not like we are asking Apple to hurry up and give us some trivial feature...We are asking that our newly purchased products work as expected.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
It would be a refreshing change if Apple would deliver a less buggy version of iOS.

They're getting worse not better. After years as a very loyal customer who knows what Apples capable of, these issues are obviously a result of sheer complacency, not a lack of technical expertise. Apples engineering skills are second to none, only greed gets in the way. Hurry, hurry, get it to market, is the Apple mantra causing it's users grief, lost time and aggravation.

Only Apple users allow this and keep praising the Cupertino company.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It would be a refreshing change if Apple would deliver a less buggy version of iOS.

They're getting worse not better. After years as a very loyal customer who knows what Apples capable of, these issues are obviously a result of sheer complacency, not a lack of technical expertise. Apples engineering skills are second to none, only greed gets in the way. Hurry, hurry, get it to market, is the Apple mantra causing it's users grief, lost time and aggravation.

Only Apple users allow this and keep praising the Cupertino company.

Indeed! My iPhone 4 was perfect for 18 months and I loved it. I sang Apple's praises to everyone but in comparison, modern tech speed improvements excepted, my iPhone 5 has been a piece of junk and iOS7 despite looking nice etc performs infinitely worse for me than iOS6 did.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
How does March 2014 sound?
:(

March is only two months away now. That doesn't matter however as iOS 7.1 won't be released in March anyway, since that rumour aired there have been none since. Beginning of February is when it will be released.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Indeed! My iPhone 4 was perfect for 18 months and I loved it. I sang Apple's praises to everyone but in comparison, modern tech speed improvements excepted, my iPhone 5 has been a piece of junk and iOS7 despite looking nice etc performs infinitely worse for me than iOS6 did.

Your assessment is very true.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Waiting till march to fix a major issue is assanine. It's not like we are asking Apple to hurry up and give us some trivial feature...We are asking that our newly purchased products work as expected.
Perhaps that's because they are trying to fix a major issue rather than a trivial one...which takes some time when done properly.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
It's a problem with iOS' web core, you guys don't see it probably because the websites you visit regularly don't trigger the crashes.

Why don't you share those sites which trigger these crashes, maybe some of us could reproduce it? :)

Don't have got a 5S but an iPad Air laying around (So at least it's the same SoC)

Thepoobear

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
Perhaps that's because they are trying to fix a major issue rather than a trivial one...which takes some time when done properly.

Beta 2 shows that the fix is likely complete. An incremental update should be released to fix it now, not in march with whatever else they deem necessary.

They did this with .01 through .04

Constant browser crashes are MAJOR.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Beta 2 shows that the fix is likely complete. An incremental update should be released to fix it now, not in march with whatever else they deem necessary.

They did this with .01 through .04

Constant browser crashes are MAJOR.
Likely complete doesn't mean that it is complete nor does it mean that it's been tested well yet. Rushing something like this is exactly the type of thing that can easily lead to the type of issues that exist in 7.0, which is what you'd want to avoid, right?

7.0.x were minor releases or even small bug fix/tweaks releases that didn't involve large underlying changes, while something like this can easily involve some large changes requiring a bigger release.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have fixed these kinds if issues earlier, or should have had them in 7.0 to begin with, but given where they are the timing and the release scheduling that it might take to fix it all properly (hopefully) doesn't really seem unrealistic or even unnecessary.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Chrome crashes on me whenever I open it after a period of inactivity.

I'm on a 5s on 7.1 beta 2.

Do you mean "crash" or "refresh"? Does it just refresh the web pages or does Chrome crash and kick you out of the app back to the home screen?

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Do you mean "crash" or "refresh"? Does it just refresh the web pages or does Chrome crash and kick you out of the app back to the home screen?

Shot actually kicks you back to home.

I was just scrolling through a thread on reddit a few minutes ago when Safari crashed on me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.