Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
I have a late 2012 MBA, with one Thunderbolt port. I'd like to connect two external monitors to it (neither of them are thunderbolt monitors, I'll use mini display port to DVI adapters).

Is this possible? I'm willing to buy a dock, it looks like either the Belkin or the CalDigit may do it.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Thanks but that doesn't answer my question. I saw that thread already. I don't want to use USB for this, I'd like to have both monitors through the thunderbolt.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
[/COLOR]
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5219

Section 18

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but - again - this did not answer my question. The Apple article talks about connecting up to 2 Apple thunderbolt displays. I'd like to connect 2 non-Apple displays, using mini-display or DVI or HDMI or something like that.

I'm wondering if a Thunderbolt hub would work. Hoping that someone out there has this setup already.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
[/COLOR]

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but - again - this did not answer my question. The Apple article talks about connecting up to 2 Apple thunderbolt displays. I'd like to connect 2 non-Apple displays, using mini-display or DVI or HDMI or something like that.

I'm wondering if a Thunderbolt hub would work. Hoping that someone out there has this setup already.

that's WHY people are using usb in the first place.... a thunderbolt hub like this one (which is i assume the one you are looking at already) costs around $300 and you'd still need adapters to run non-TB monitors.

using mini-dvi would kill the data-transfer capability of the thunderbolt so can i ask why you are so against USB?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
a thunderbolt hub like this one (...) costs around $300 and you'd still need adapters to run non-TB monitors.

Maybe I'm missing something? How would you connect two non-thunderbolt monitors to that hub? It appears to only have two thunderbolt ports. One of them connects to the MBA and the other is free for a peripheral.

For monitors, I don't see how that adds anything you don't already have on the MBA. :confused:

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Maybe I'm missing something? How would you connect two non-thunderbolt monitors to that hub? It appears to only have two thunderbolt ports. One of them connects to the MBA and the other is free for a peripheral.

For monitors, I don't see how that adds anything you don't already have on the MBA. :confused:

i could be misunderstanding myself (very possible) but i imagine the way OP wants this to work is MBA thunderbolt to TB hub, then he wants to connect two non-tb monitors to the TB hub via mini dvi adapter or something other than USB.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Well the thunderbolt hub might be handy for other things, but it only has one free thunderbolt port. The MBA already has one free port without the hub. Either way, there's only one "hole" to plug a monitor into.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Thanks all, actually I'm gonna try using a monitor hooked up to Apple TV for my 3rd display; I didn't want to take up a USB port. I haven't hooked it up yet, I need a female HDMI to female DVI adapter first (thanks monoprice!). I tried it briefly with another apple tv (to a TV not a monitor) and it is possible to use Apple TV as a 3rd display.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Additionally, that's not the way that thunderbolt works. The thunderbolt data stream consists of 2 streams: A display port (video) stream and a PICe stream (output as thunderbolt).

The Display Port signal gets stripped off and sent to the monitor while the PCIe stream can be sent along to different parts of the hub or another thunderbolt stream where it can be split again into Display Port & PCIe.

So, as I posted a few months ago:

Code:
Thunderbolt = DisplayPort + Thunderbolt

so 

Thunderbolt = DisplayPort + (DisplayPort + Thunderbolt)

etc...

That's why you can daisy chain TB devices and a Thunderbolt monitor, like Apple's, can be connected anywhere in a chain.

It's also why you can't daisy chain a TB display with a Non-TB display directly (the first monitor takes the video stream), but you can chain an TB display, a TB peripheral and a Non-TB display. The TB display passes a new thunderbolt stream (with both DP & TB) to the peripheral which can pass the DP on to the second monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.